Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Seeking expressions of interest

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Seeking expressions of interest

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
Dizzie, I like the 'organic' idea and it's time to have a change from my 'usual' style, so if you want any texturing done... :)
Once again, wow that was fast! I'd be most honoured, sir!

Darn it.. it's after midnight here, and now I'm so excited I won't be able to sleep! The ol' inspiration burners are firing big-time..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

My pleasure.
If Capt Solo can let me have the models and straightforward 'blank' diffuse_maps extracted from them sometime I can start work on them. I would also like more of an idea of exactly what you had in mind. 'Organic' can be anything from a bit scaly to skeletal/visceral (think the crashed 'egg' ship in Alien) or something different again. Also did you have a particular pallette (colour range) in mind?
(ps Sorry to keep you up so late :P )
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I think about the only thing I'd like to change would be some additional polys to the wings on the Cruiser, to make them a bit more rounded and disc-like in appearance.
The 30+ degree heat outside has forced me indoors so I worked per your request. Here is a different camera view:

If there is anything else you would like changed, let me know.

Welcome aboard Smivs!
Last edited by CaptSolo on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

CaptSolo wrote:
Welcome aboard Smivs!
<Smivs waves>

Looking nice, BTW :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Diziet - This sounds like a very interesting project you have in mind.

I was going to offer to put together some concept 3d models, and still can if required, however it looks like this great crew of vagabonds, pirates and smugglers have already got to work on developing the type of ships you are looking for. :lol:
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Shipbuilder wrote:

I was going to offer to put together some concept 3d models, and still can if required, however it looks like this great crew of vagabonds, pirates and smugglers have already got to work on developing the type of ships you are looking for. :lol:
Well, Disiet did say his concept called for up to three ship designs, so get to work.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Ok - Since the Viper and the Blockade Runner size ships are being looked at I’ll have a play around with something approximately Cobra Mk3 size (I’ll post some screenshots when I get a basic concept model together).

Diziet Sma – If you can let me have some feedback once I post the screen shots I can tweak the model further until we get something like what is wanted. :)

If possible it would be great if anyone out there would be able to pick up the texturing (Not that I dislike texturing but I have just spent a considerable amount of time texturing my 2 recent OXP releases so could do with a little change in scenery - such as modelling and getting in to scripting). If not I can put something together so o worries.

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

CaptSolo wrote:
... is a remake of SimonB's Cat Mk II, which I always thought has great lines...
Did SimonB base that on the Cougar?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Diziet - To be honest I’m not too sure what you are looking for however I have had a quick play around to try to come up with a sleek curvy design (Not my usual style of ship but its good to introduce some variety). :)

This may or may not be what you are looking for so not problems if not however have a look at the screenshot below and give me your thoughts.

Also so you know what you want the Cobra Mk3 size ship is to be called ?

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CaptSolo wrote:
The 30+ degree heat outside has forced me indoors so I worked per your request. Here is a different camera view:
You're gonna hate me for this.. now that I can compare the two side-by-side, I think I prefer the original look.. very sorry to make you do all that work for nothing.
Shipbuilder wrote:

As CaptSolo says, I certainly could use another ship, perhaps even a few more, by way of adding variety to the systems they'll appear in.
Shipbuilder wrote:
Ok - Since the Viper and the Blockade Runner size ships are being looked at I’ll have a play around with something approximately Cobra Mk3 size (I’ll post some screenshots when I get a basic concept model together).

Diziet Sma – If you can let me have some feedback once I post the screen shots I can tweak the model further until we get something like what is wanted. :)

If possible it would be great if anyone out there would be able to pick up the texturing (Not that I dislike texturing but I have just spent a considerable amount of time texturing my 2 recent OXP releases so could do with a little change in scenery - such as modelling and getting in to scripting). If not I can put something together so o worries.
Thanks muchly! From what he's said, I suspect Smivs might be up for the texturing challenge.
Smivs wrote:
I would also like more of an idea of exactly what you had in mind. 'Organic' can be anything from a bit scaly to skeletal/visceral (think the crashed 'egg' ship in Alien) or something different again. Also did you have a particular pallette (colour range) in mind?
(ps Sorry to keep you up so late :P )
Ok. What I have in mind is ships inspired by flying creatures.. birds, bats, etc. They might be rather alien creatures, so feathers are not necessarily the way to go. The Viper class ship rather reminds me of a diving bird of prey, and the Cruiser possibly a bat-like creature or even a gliding/flying amphibian of some kind. No particular palette comes to mind, but something bright, for sure. The Ooniverse has enough muted shades in it already, and birds especially tend towards flashy plumage. I hope that's enough to go on.. I'd prefer to limit your imagination/creativity as little as possible.
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Shipbuilder wrote:
Diziet - To be honest I’m not too sure what you are looking for however I have had a quick play around to try to come up with a sleek curvy design (Not my usual style of ship but its good to introduce some variety). :)

This may or may not be what you are looking for so not problems if not however have a look at the screenshot below and give me your thoughts.

Also so you know what you want the Cobra Mk3 size ship is to be called ?
My reply to Smivs above about texturing might give you some more ideas.

I like the overall look, but the triple tailfins look sort of like a bolted-on afterthought. If they were more flowing and smoothly integrated into the hull, I'd be inclined to say yes.

In fact, the look tempts me to say I'd like to see it scaled up to be the blockade-runner, and the Cruiser scaled down to Cobby3 class.

Sorry, names are not something I've come up with as yet. The floor is open to suggestions. In naming, bear in mind that the civilisation concerned is pacifist at heart, but not averse to defending itself vigorously. Even names of alien creatures would be fine.. so they can be weird but cool sounding if you like. There's no need to limit ourselves to Terrestrial creatures.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

El Viejo wrote:
CaptSolo wrote:
... is a remake of SimonB's Cat Mk II, which I always thought has great lines...
Did SimonB base that on the Cougar?
Indeed he did.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Diziet Sma wrote:
You're gonna hate me for this.. now that I can compare the two side-by-side, I think I prefer the original look.. very sorry to make you do all that work for nothing.
No I do not. I make backups! :mrgreen:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I knew you would.. :lol: but I regret making you kill an afternoon that you could have used on your own projects.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

I like the overall look, but the triple tailfins look sort of like a bolted-on afterthought. If they were more flowing and smoothly integrated into the hull, I'd be inclined to say yes.
No problems. I have tweaked the model and smoothed the fins. I'll post some screenshots in the morning.
In fact, the look tempts me to say I'd like to see it scaled up to be the blockade-runner, and the Cruiser scaled down to Cobby3 class
If you do decide to use this model for the blockade runner let me know how long you want the ship and I can rescale to suit.