Neo-Docklights OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Docklights OXP

Post by SandJ »

Commander McLane wrote:
Yet another test case. Now the docking lights have an additional indicator by flashing away from the dock when red, and towards the dock when green.
Downloaded, installed, they work.

They are a bit dazzling - too large? Personally, I preferred the size of the originals.

And I didn't notice the flashing away / flashing toward effect.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

SandJ wrote:
Downloaded, installed, they work.
:D
SandJ wrote:
They are a bit dazzling - too large?
Possible. I don't have Thargoid's OXP. How big are his? Mine are 25 meters.
SandJ wrote:
That's odd. Are you sure you had the last version (0.92)? Before that they were just permanently on.

:idea: I see that both the first and the third version have been downloaded. Maybe you have them both installed at the same time? That would explain both the dazzling (two flashers on top of each other), and the non-flashing (the permanent flashers from v.0.9 are at the same places as the flashing flashers from v.0.92).
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Commander McLane wrote:
SandJ wrote:
They were 10 metres. I have fiddled with yours; personally, I prefer the smaller ones as they are not in my eye-line.

Edit: now I'm not sure - at 10 metres they're too small. Hey ho - I'm fickle.
Commander McLane wrote:
SandJ wrote:
That's odd. Are you sure you had the last version (0.92)? Before that they were just permanently on.
v0.92. I could not see them 'moving' because I was moving. Now I have stopped my vessel, and looked along the line of lights, I can see the strobing effect.
Commander McLane wrote:
:idea: I see that both the first and the third version have been downloaded. Maybe you have them both installed at the same time?
I did not download any version prior to the v.92
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Commander McLane wrote:
:idea: I see that both the first and the third version have been downloaded. Maybe you have them both installed at the same time? That would explain both the dazzling (two flashers on top of each other), and the non-flashing (the permanent flashers from v.0.9 are at the same places as the flashing flashers from v.0.92).
I've downloaded 0.92, so one might be me. BTW are you in PM contact with Thargoid over this? Seems we now have two partial implementations, I reckon it's a nice piece of ambiance so it'd be nice to have one complete version.
Also I'd suggest to Thargoid that a higher TL threshold would be better for game variation (I set it to 8 in my copy).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

m4r35n357 wrote:
BTW are you in PM contact with Thargoid over this? Seems we now have two partial implementations, I reckon it's a nice piece of ambiance so it'd be nice to have one complete version.
Not yet. This is just my take on the issue, which apparently is a little different from Thargoid's. (Again proving that there are many ways to achieve the same result.)

We can roll it together, or leave the player a choice. I have no problem with either. (We also had another example of two OXPs doing the same thing released by two people quite recently.)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

SandJ wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
SandJ wrote:
They were 10 metres. I have fiddled with yours; personally, I prefer the smaller ones as they are not in my eye-line.

Edit: now I'm not sure - at 10 metres they're too small. Hey ho - I'm fickle.
:lol:

It seemed to me that for the strobing effect a certain size was needed. I had them at 20 meters originally, but the strobing seemed to look better with 25 meters. But there's no problem in experimenting with the size. I even had the brief idea that they could get bigger from inwards out.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander McLane wrote:
I even had the brief idea that they could get bigger from inwards out.
To me, that sounds like it might be counter-productive.. as you get closer to the station, more precision is needed. If they get larger, it would become harder to be sure you were correctly aligned.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Diziet Sma wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
I even had the brief idea that they could get bigger from inwards out.
To me, that sounds like it might be counter-productive.. as you get closer to the station, more precision is needed. If they get larger, it would become harder to be sure you were correctly aligned.
That's what I meant. The closer to the station, the smaller they would become. However, I don't think it's a good idea anyway.

But, what I was thinking about was to have two lines of flashers to the right and left of your ship, instead of having only one line in the middle. Then you would have to align between them.

This would be a certain complication compared to my very easy and simple approach, because a frame callback would be needed to have the two lines rotate together with the docking bay.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
...what I was thinking about was to have two lines of flashers to the right and left of your ship, instead of having only one line in the middle. Then you would have to align between them.
This is how I would expect to see them... much better idea.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

El Viejo wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
...what I was thinking about was to have two lines of flashers to the right and left of your ship, instead of having only one line in the middle. Then you would have to align between them.
This is how I would expect to see them... much better idea.
I see what I can do…
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

I just thought, the docking lights do not need to be on all the time. They need only come on when a vessel emerges, or a vessel gets within, say, 10km of the station or its beacon. They could just switch off when not needed.

That gives more opportunities for removing and recreating them, plus might reduce processor overhead.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

SandJ wrote:
I just thought, the docking lights do not need to be on all the time. They need only come on when a vessel emerges, or a vessel gets within, say, 10km of the station or its beacon. They could just switch off when not needed.

That gives more opportunities for removing and recreating them, plus might reduce processor overhead.
That's what v1.01 of the OXP (which no-one seems to be using?) does, except it triggers on entering the Aegis rather than 10km (to save another timer).

I did consider a single entity route, but I was planning (at least until all this came up) to perhaps make them detect a close ship when green and turn the string red as a result (ie to change for docking ships as well as launching ones). That would be most simply done using single entities.

It would be good to regroup on this and see if it is the same fundamental issue we saw with Swarm and ghost wormholes. If so then an underlying trunk bug might be lurking, as there's nothing in DockLights that should cause this kind of thing fundamentally I'd say.

@McLane - if you want to either merge the OXPs together or have yours supercede mine and I'll retire it, either is fine with me. Just let me know.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I have most of the stuff necessary for a double row of flashers that rotates with the station. However, I'm hitting a wall currently. Whenever I jump into a system with a Coriolis as main station (which could be from one of several station OXPs), my main entity is taking damage fast and exploding unexpectedly, which of course messes up timers and callbacks. I haven't yet found the cause of this. I also haven't checked yet whether this happens with v.0.92 as well.

So, for the time being, my project is stalled.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Grab a copy of my version and use the model in that for your main entity.

That will solve that issue, but may of course bring about the other one.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Thargoid wrote:
Grab a copy of my version and use the model in that for your main entity.

That will solve that issue, but may of course bring about the other one.
On investigation, use of a zero-poly model causes malloc(0) to be called in the depths of the ObjC engine (OOMesh.m, allocateBytesWithSize). The behaviour of this is undefined, which I guess covers "cargo pods which can't be scooped", "stations which don't really exist", and "semi-transparent ships".

r4997 contains a fix for that (by always allocating at least 1 unit) which may or may not fix the various bits of strangeness which are happening.

I would strongly recommend not using zero-poly models in <=1.76.1, anyway.

What it doesn't explain is why the flashers are slipping, since they do that even after this fix. I can't see anything obviously wrong with the JS code to swap them, either. I'll keep looking.