[RELEASE] Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander McLane wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
SandJ wrote:
Now you just need The Heart of Gold and Liberator for a full set.
If you have Random Hits installed then you have the Liberator. But only as a mark, not as a general ship.
At a certain point I wanted it as my player ship. But the model is too big to dock, which is a big no-no in my Ooniverse. :(
That's pretty much a no-no in any player's Ooniverse.. :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

It would dock in a Superhub would it not! But that would severely limit the player.
But I suppose you could make all stations Superhubs :roll:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Fatleaf already tells you that this hypothesis is wrong, especially as Oolite's size-check-before-launching code exempts the player, so you wouldn't even need to replace the main stations.

And don't forget the vocal minority of people who want to fly capital ships.

Being active here on the boards for more than five years has told me that my view of the player being a rather insignificant part of the Ooniverse and only getting to fly insignificant ships that don't exceed a certain size is one of the rules I adhere to, not something that I can expect to be a main stream consensus.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander McLane wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Fatleaf already tells you that this hypothesis is wrong, especially as Oolite's size-check-before-launching code exempts the player, so you wouldn't even need to replace the main stations.
Is there size-check-when-docking exemption code for the player as well? Because that's what I was mostly referring to.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Is there size-check-when-docking exemption code for the player as well? Because that's what I was mostly referring to.
There doesn't need to be, because you can dock either manually or instantly, and the game cannot possibly prevent you from doing the former. Instant docking saves you from any possible damage. With manual docking the question is whether you can get enough scrape damage to actually kill you before the docking rings appear. I can't answer that, but it may depend on your ship's max energy and energy recharge rate.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
There doesn't need to be, because you can dock either manually or instantly, and the game cannot possibly prevent you from doing the former. Instant docking saves you from any possible damage. With manual docking the question is whether you can get enough scrape damage to actually kill you before the docking rings appear. I can't answer that, but it may depend on your ship's max energy and energy recharge rate.
Docking too big player ships has some special code. When I remember well, the code checks the port size and when it is less than 10% bigger than the ship, is simulates a 10% bigger than the ship port for scratching. (That was code already present in 1.65). So any big size does actually 'fit' and scratches hard on the walls when not exactly centred. And remember that your point of view is often above the centre, so you have to aim at a point above the centre. (Or dock with external view on)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ok.. not that I think I'll ever need it, but thanks for the explanation.. 8)
DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Some buggy planet at the edge of the known universe

Post by DredgerMan »

Just downloaded it.

Shipbuilder, if you're still with us (haven't seen anything from you on the forums for a while),

:shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

W

O

W

!

!

!

LIKING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Flying The Sizzlin' Suzie VI, a trusty and venerable Boa Class Cruiser in Oolite 1.84 on

under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit
with a Geforce GT610 videocard