[RELEASE] Galactic Misjump OXP 0.4 (14 June 2012)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Re: [RELEASE] Galactic Misjump OXP 0.4 (14 June 2012)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Surely

5) the player ends up a long way across his/her current galaxy

make sense as a misfire scenario.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

UK_Eliter wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:40 am
Surely

5) the player ends up a long way across his/her current galaxy

make sense as a misfire scenario.
Sure, but that's a LOT harder to do script-wise and takes mad amounts of ingame time (often over 100 hours to cross a Galaxy Chart) to do all the regular jumps and misjumps to get there...which kind-of gives away how it works, as the player will at least briefly see lots of different systems and may get mass-locked by something breaking the jump-chain depending on the logic.

It's not beyond what Wormhole Drones or OneWayTicketToOresrati OXP type jump logic can do...or more obscure parts of a couple other OXPs...but it's not easy to do.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: [RELEASE] Galactic Misjump OXP 0.1

Post by Cholmondely »

Commander McLane wrote: Tue May 08, 2012 10:33 pm
There are two ways of storing a JS worldscript:
  1. You can name it "script.js" and put it into the Config folder. That's what cim did. It's a leftover of "legacy" plist scripting, where the script had to be named "script.plist" and reside in the Config folder. This way was especially useful in the time when we had Oolite 1.65 as official release, and the growing number of test releases. In those times you could have both a "script.plist" and a "script.js" alongside each other in the Confic folder. Oolite 1.65 would use the plist script, and the later versions would ignore the plist and use the JS script instead. This functionality is not particularly useful anymore, but it still exists.
  2. You can name it whatever you want (but perhaps not "script.js") and put it into the Script folder. Then you have to create another plist in the Config folder named "world-scripts.plist" and write the name of your script into that plist. This method has the advantage that you can have more than one worldscript in an OXP, which is of course not possible with the first method, because there can only be one file named "script.js" in a Config folder.
Is this still true?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Massively Locked
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Massively Locked »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:22 pm
Is this still true?
Yup
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: At home in the Xexedi Cluster, driving an FE Asp II, Laenina's Flux.

Post by Reval »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:22 pm
Commander McLane wrote: Tue May 08, 2012 10:33 pm
There are two ways of storing a JS worldscript:
  1. You can name it "script.js" and put it into the Config folder. That's what cim did. It's a leftover of "legacy" plist scripting, where the script had to be named "script.plist" and reside in the Config folder. This way was especially useful in the time when we had Oolite 1.65 as official release, and the growing number of test releases. In those times you could have both a "script.plist" and a "script.js" alongside each other in the Confic folder. Oolite 1.65 would use the plist script, and the later versions would ignore the plist and use the JS script instead. This functionality is not particularly useful anymore, but it still exists.
  2. You can name it whatever you want (but perhaps not "script.js") and put it into the Script folder. Then you have to create another plist in the Config folder named "world-scripts.plist" and write the name of your script into that plist. This method has the advantage that you can have more than one worldscript in an OXP, which is of course not possible with the first method, because there can only be one file named "script.js" in a Config folder.
Is this still true?
Cholmondely, this is the way to make that once elusive (to me at least) Meta OXP: simply bung all the scripts from your component OXPs into the Scripts folder and note them all in word-scripts.js; then you might have to add all your equipment to an all-embracing equipment.plist, shipdata.plist, shipyard.plist etc etc. It's a grind, but if you plod carefully step by step, it's not at all difficult. I'm actually quite proud of discovering this method without any 'guru' help here ;)
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I've taken a few equipment OXPs and merged them together into a Various.OXP
Merging shipdata.plist files is easy enough...you just end up with a longer single shipdata.plist file.
Same for some of the other files, such as equipment.plist and descriptions.plist

This required some of them having their own individual script "whatever-name.js" and a main.js which compresses a few bits of equipment into 1 big script file.

It's more of a programming exercise on my part, in the hope it would speed the game up marginally (due to fewer scripts running), but I can't say I notice the speed difference.
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

Combining multiple OXPs is all well and good until they update and you need to reconcile the changes. I would recommend keeping them as close to their original forms as possible to minimize your maintenance effort in the future. When I want to tinker with an OXP, I 'x' extract it to my AddOns folder, rename the .off folder to .oxp, and make whatever changes I want to make therein. I also usually add notes for myself in the manifest file and sometimes rename the oxp folder itself to include a hint about what I did to it.