[RELEASE] Galactic Misjump OXP 0.4 (14 June 2012)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: [RELEASE] Galactic Misjump OXP 0.2 (9 May 2012)

Post by cim »

Switeck wrote:
if(player.ship.scriptedMisjump != true && this.gmj_active == 1) player.ship.scriptedMisjump = true;
I'll add something similar to 0.3 (but of course any OXP that happens to be later in the script order will be able to turn it off again, so it's not guaranteed to work even then)

And yes, obviously feel free to steal any useful bits for HIMSN.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

cim wrote:
And yes, obviously feel free to steal any useful bits for HIMSN.
You obviously got wind of our cunning plan :P Thank you.

A quick question. Am I right in assuming that the player never actually completes the galjump before the clever stuff starts to work? In other words, starting say from galaxy one, the jump to galaxy two is not completed and the player is positioned still in G1 in such a way that it seems thay are in inter-galactic space. Or is it the other way round...they actually jump to G2 before the script positions the ship?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Smivs wrote:
A quick question. Am I right in assuming that the player never actually completes the galjump before the clever stuff starts to work? In other words, starting say from galaxy one, the jump to galaxy two is not completed and the player is positioned still in G1 in such a way that it seems thay are in inter-galactic space. Or is it the other way round...they actually jump to G2 before the script positions the ship?
Yes. Intergalactic space between G1 and G2 is faked inside G1.
Advantages:
- if they have a backup galdrive, they end up in the right place when they use it
- you don't get playerEnteredNewGalaxy firing too early, and the "misjump" is only one hyperspace sequence.
Disadvantages:
- if they dock with anything while in intergalactic space, it must allow interstellar_undocking to avoid inconsistency.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

cim, you say:
That's already there - worldScripts["Galactic Misjump"].gmj_active (if it's 1, the player is either in "intergalactic space" or has escaped from it by a method I didn't expect). Moving the player's ship is probably the only one of those three you shouldn't do (since I already do that) - the others are probably fine in general (some of the ship adjustments may be more thematic than others, I guess, but that's up to you)
I have the impression, from a glance at your script, that you want to populate (the relevant area of) the space in question entirely via your script. If so, then, when gmj_active has the value 1, my script should do nothing at all. So, is that the way you'd like it?

One more thing. I think that your planetinfo file's stipulations for the interstellar sky clashes with mine. I don't know what we should do about that. Yours has

Code: Select all

"interstellar space" = {
				"sky_n_stars" = "50";
				"sky_n_blurs" = "1";
		};
whereas mine has

Code: Select all

sky_n_stars = 350;
sky_n_blobs = 40;
Indeed, my OXP defines some custom skies for various bits of interstellar space. If a player came to recognise these, then, when s/he did a galactic misjump, might s/he end up in the same - recognisable - bit of space? (My coding limitations mean I can't tell from your code.)
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

UK_Eliter wrote:
I have the impression, from a glance at your script, that you want to populate (the relevant area of) the space in question entirely via your script. If so, then, when gmj_active has the value 1, my script should do nothing at all. So, is that the way you'd like it?
That might be safest, yes, especially if HIMSN might be wanting to do similar things.
UK_Eliter wrote:
One more thing. I think that your planetinfo file's stipulations for the interstellar sky clashes with mine.
Yes. I'd prefer to write the sky properties only for intergalactic space to make it look very dark (but the way I fake it means that it could be anywhere, so for now I have to set the universal properties for interstellar space). It's probably not too important if yours end up taking precedence sometimes.

Essentially, I fake intergalactic space by sticking the player in some nearby interstellar space, disabling any ship system that might let them tell the difference, and moving the player out of the way of the usual contents.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
Essentially, I fake intergalactic space by sticking the player in some nearby interstellar space, disabling any ship system that might let them tell the difference, and moving the player out of the way of the usual contents.
<the weary, battle-scarred pilot limps back into normal space> Fake, he says! Ha!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Well I reckon we found the Thargoid Home world as hinted at in TCAT but I must say that using this oxp, I end up deaded every time , but maybe thats the point of it...I mean ...just who really is supposed to defeat a fully armed and operational Thargoid Battle Armada anyway...Would such a success kill the game any way... Oolite needs Thargoids IMO and although this oxp is (if one sticks around long enough) ostensibly A suicide mission...It is brilliant in so far that ties up loose ends as to where one might expect to find the Thargoid Home world and indeed what kind of opposition one should expect to face once the Moth flies too close to the Candle...I Love it :D
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

cim wrote:
Switeck wrote:
if(player.ship.scriptedMisjump != true && this.gmj_active == 1) player.ship.scriptedMisjump = true;
I'll add something similar to 0.3 (but of course any OXP that happens to be later in the script order will be able to turn it off again, so it's not guaranteed to work even then)
I consider that really unlikely.

Out of all the OXPs I've studied, most either don't set player.ship.scriptedMisjump to false or (if they do...) don't do so in the shipWillEnterWitchspace section. Your script would "win" in setting player.ship.scriptedMisjump to true by doing so at the last instant before the actual jump.

My Misjump Inducer can't even touch it, since it's user-initiated.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

cim

Re my script not doing anything, ship-wise or move-wise, when yours is active: done - but I haven't released the modified version of my OXP yet.

As to sky properties, there seem to be two options. That said, I don't know if either is actually possible. Option (1): set the player to be in one particular bit of interstellar space. Then I could ensure that my OXP did nothing graphically to that bit of space. Although I suppose that, if this is even possible, you'd need to specify a different bit of interstellar space - between two particular systems - for each galaxy. Alternatively (2) perhaps you can set sky properties via script? If so, then, presuming the script overrides the planetinfo file, we'll be fine.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

UK_Eliter wrote:
As to sky properties, there seem to be two options. That said, I don't know if either is actually possible. Option (1): set the player to be in one particular bit of interstellar space. Then I could ensure that my OXP did nothing graphically to that bit of space. Although I suppose that, if this is even possible, you'd need to specify a different bit of interstellar space - between two particular systems - for each galaxy. Alternatively (2) perhaps you can set sky properties via script? If so, then, presuming the script overrides the planetinfo file, we'll be fine.
1. Possible but messy. There's no guarantee that the player will be anywhere near that bit of interstellar space when they make the jump, which means a lot of chained wormholes to move them to it (and of course their "recovered" gal jump then won't come out in the right place either)
2. Unfortunately not for interstellar space, at the moment. If it worked, script would certainly override planetinfo. (I suppose I could look at making it work, of course - I'll have to look at why it doesn't already)
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: [RELEASE] Galactic Misjump OXP 0.3 (17 May 2012)

Post by cim »

0.3 is now out. I've closed a few more loopholes for escaping intergalactic space without using a galactic hyperdrive, and removed the planetinfo entry to avoid conflicts.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Dear cim

I think you need something under the this.playerCancelledJumpCountdown handler, such that if the player cancels the intergalactic jump, there is no chance of a galactic misjump. For I think I just managed to do the following. Started an galactic jump countdown, aborted it, started a normal jump countdown, and then . . ended up in intergalactic space.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

UK_Eliter wrote:
I think you need something under the this.playerCancelledJumpCountdown handler, such that if the player cancels the intergalactic jump, there is no chance of a galactic misjump.
Ah, good point. Will do.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: [RELEASE] Galactic Misjump OXP 0.4 (14 June 2012)

Post by cim »

UK_Eliter wrote:
I think you need something under the this.playerCancelledJumpCountdown handler, such that if the player cancels the intergalactic jump, there is no chance of a galactic misjump. For I think I just managed to do the following. Started an galactic jump countdown, aborted it, started a normal jump countdown, and then . . ended up in intergalactic space.
Done, and 0.4 is now available. Thanks
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Galactic Misjump OXP 0.4 (14 June 2012)

Post by Switeck »

Cim possibly developed this OXP as a result of an earlier forum message thread starting here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11174
"How to thwart galactic hyperspace jump?"

In particular, Cmdr James wrote at:
viewtopic.php?p=156862#p156862
"A misjump moves the player midway between the origination and target system. There is no meaningful equivalent for a galjump."

I've already given the idea some thought:
viewtopic.php?p=156860#p156860
"Currently there's no provisions in Oolite's code for a galactic hyperspace jump to be "different" if player.ship.scriptedMisjump === true; "

My recent "Ah hah!" idea is concerning what a Galactic Hyperdrive misjump can mean:

1.The Galactic Hyperdrive can fail to fire at all, leaving you stranded where you start. That can be done with mass-locking and/or damaging the equipment so the player can't immediately try again.

2.An NPC ship's wormhole could be created and the player's ship moved into that wormhole very close to when the countdown for the Gal. Hyperdrive hits 0...tossing the player's ship either to a nearby system (within 7 L.Y.) or interstellar space between the player's current location and a nearby system. Couple that with a temporary Galaxy Chart rename (via a script), this can replace "Interstellar space" with "Intergalactic space"...and things can get very confusing indeed!

3.Or lastly, the Galactic Hyperdrive counts down to completion...the jump is made...you get tossed to the next Galaxy Chart, ...but "Where the hell am I now?!" can still be simulated by doing stuff like Here Be Dragons or ZeroMap OXPs/OXZs ...and all the nearby system names and even locations are hidden on the Galactic Chart. No jump routes are shown if no systems are shown. I know it's possible to temporarily replace some of the F7 screen details for a system -- even a core mission does that to give the player a hint where to go next, so even the current location can partially be obscured.

...Well, except for the fact that the Galactic Hyperdrive will still ...normally... spit the player's ship out in the next Galactic Chart at roughly the same X, Y coordinates as in the previous Galactic Chart.

4.What if the GH destination isn't the same X, Y coordinates as before the jump?