[RELEASE] Galactic Misjump OXP 0.4 (14 June 2012)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: [RELEASE] Galactic Misjump OXP 0.1

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Well, I've just given it a spin and it works fine (even without the semi-colon!). Great fun, and a really useful feature
Yep! Just need to know why it's induced errors with Griff's Alloys and Wreckage. Probably to do with intergalactic space battles.
<waits patiently for a boffin to appear, whilst wondering if one can place a rogue planet in intergalactic space>
And a sun.
No, not a sun! Rogue planets have no sun... a bit like Lago in Coyote's Run.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

:D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Great... added that missing semi-colon and it works fine, with no errors! Quite some furball and I didn't last too long!

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Smivs wrote:
Looks like something that might help your ship stay regular ...
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

El Viejo wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Well, I've just given it a spin and it works fine (even without the semi-colon!). Great fun, and a really useful feature
Yep! Just need to know why it's induced errors with Griff's Alloys and Wreckage. Probably to do with intergalactic space battles.
<waits patiently for a boffin to appear, whilst wondering if one can place a rogue planet in intergalactic space>
Will an alien scientist do?

Griff's OXP will have a script in it which is checking the player ship is close by before sparking or possibly spawning wreckage. But in this case your ship has suffered existence failure at exactly the wrong moment, so it's trying to find the distance between the NPC ship and a player ship that no longer exists. Hence the error, as player.ship.position no longer exists as a property after your ship died.

It's quite easily fixed by adding a check for player ship validity to the line in question.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Commander McLane wrote:
In this case it is indeed superfluous.
Yeah... I use a packaging script on my OXPs (it cleans up editor backup files from the finished OXP, puts the documentation in the right place, puts a fresh copy into my addons folder for testing, adds current copyright, version and license info to all world and ship scripts, builds some files by preprocessing, and runs the OXP validation mode of Oolite. It expects a Scripts/ directory to exist, so rather than comment out that section I just created the directory empty. (It'll get used later, anyway...)

No idea - apart from the semicolon - what's going on the shipdata, but I'll resave it explicitly in UTF-8 and re-upload it this evening.
Solonar
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Solonar »

I use the long range hyperdrive OXP, which is the primable galactic hyperdrive. I was able to successfully galactic misjump but it has no effect on the long range hyperdrive. It remains undamaged and I am able to use it immediately after experiencing a misjump.

SolarTech proudly presents the Plasma Turret Regulator Device Apparatus, aka the Turret Toggler
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thargoid wrote:
Will an alien scientist do?
Indeed it will! Thanks for reminding me of what I should have remembered from before. The TMA - one step ahead!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: [RELEASE] Galactic Misjump OXP 0.2 (9 May 2012)

Post by cim »

0.2 now released:
- remove some possibilities of ending up back in normal space in the start galaxy. Impossible to prevent this entirely, though, given the diverse equipment other OXPs provide.
- add a little more variety to the contents of intergalactic space.
- add another trigger for the "escape" event.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

I've tweaked interstellar space, and now someone tweaks - or rather creates - intergalactic interstellar space!

Downloading. .

PS: This should work fine with my Interstellar Tweaks OXP. 'cos that latter OXP doesn't mess with intergalactic stuff.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

UK_Eliter wrote:
PS: This should work fine with my Interstellar Tweaks OXP. 'cos that latter OXP doesn't mess with intergalactic stuff.
I haven't had chance to test yet, but given how much I had to cheat to get intergalactic space working, I wouldn't be surprised if there were odd results from having both installed at once.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

cim,

Your 'cheating' looks quite clever to me! (I've glanced - but only glanced - at your script.)

If you are using what the game thinks is normal interstellar space - as I think you are - then, if and when the player makes a jump within (i.e. to and from) what your OXP presents as 'interstellar galactic space', the following will, I think, be the case.

(1) My OXP will, sometimes, adjust the ships present.

(2) My OXP will mean there is a chance of the player's escape pod getting picked up by a Behemoth (even if there are no Behemoths around; for my OXP allows an outside chance of one arriving to scoop your capsule).

(3) My OXP might move the player's ship.

I can disable or modify various features of my OXP so that it fits as you'd like it with yours. As probably you know, you'll have to set variables that my script can read - then I can make various of my routines react to those variables.

But, in fact, I think I'll need to look more carefully at how your OXP works.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

If the player somehow escapes from this "Intergalactic space", you'll probably need to rename what got modified to that name in the first place...otherwise it's really weird. :lol:
Save the original name in a variable, then rename it, then rename it back if/when the player is no longer in interstellar space.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

UK_Eliter wrote:
I can disable or modify various features of my OXP so that it fits as you'd like it with yours. As probably you know, you'll have to set variables that my script can read - then I can make various of my routines react to those variables.
That's already there - worldScripts["Galactic Misjump"].gmj_active (if it's 1, the player is either in "intergalactic space" or has escaped from it by a method I didn't expect). Moving the player's ship is probably the only one of those three you shouldn't do (since I already do that) - the others are probably fine in general (some of the ship adjustments may be more thematic than others, I guess, but that's up to you)
Switeck wrote:
you'll probably need to rename what got modified to that name in the first place
Where they escape by an "expected" route, I do... 0.3 will try to catch unexpected escape routes a bit more.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

An escape method I use is my Misjump Inducer OXP, which can turn on/off player.ship.scriptedMisjump
...then either do a regular H-key hyperspace or use a wormhole-making OXP.
A way to catch/prevent this is use:
this.shipWillEnterWitchspace = function(cause)
To once again check for and set if false:
if(player.ship.scriptedMisjump != true && this.gmj_active == 1) player.ship.scriptedMisjump = true;
...if it's somehow changed, so they should always end up in interstellar space. (as far as the game's code is concerned)

If a player does somehow do a short-ranged hyperspace jump, then this new intergalactic-space "system" they're in need not be occupied. Just moving the player's ship far from the "witchpoint" would suffice to simulate that.

This OXP and ideas behind it will probably be very useful in Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11923
...if/when it becomes an OXP!