cheats in OOLITE a traders viewpoint

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: cheats in OOLITE a traders viewpoint

Post by snork »

Now, I will admit that every so often, I will look at the scanner and pickout a fugitive, pop in next to him, wait for him to notice and then I pop out leaving a very frustrated pirate behind.
I have to say this idea almost makes me want to install those cheat oxps. :lol:
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Now, I will admit that every so often, I will look at the scanner and pickout a fugitive, pop in next to him, wait for him to notice and then I pop out leaving a very frustrated pirate behind.

Now, I will admit that very often, I will look at the scanner and pickout a fugitive, pop in next to him, wait for him to notice and then I pop out leaving a very dead pirate behind. :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Wardy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Wardy »

I have a lot of free time on my hands, so when I discovered this game around Christmas, I was determined to give it the time and respect that its heritage demands. Since then, I have installed a lot of OXPs, seriously expanding the scope of the game. Many of these have made the overall experience harder for me, Tough Guys, Deep Space Pirates and some others, plus starting with an Adder thanks to Switeck's Shiping. Also, my playing style doesn't do me any favours as I almost exclusively use the front laser (I remember the first time I splashed an Asp in my adder Underdog, now that was a moment to remember). I try to refrain from using anything that will make the game easier for me, as I know that the feeling of accomplishment will be that much greater when I finally become an Elite Combateer.

However. As hard as I tried, I could not resist the Self Repair System.

I consider this to be a massive cheat and have been on the verge of losing sleep over its use. So, I was greatly relieved when the recent update added a balance in the form of limited charges and, soon, a cargo space requirement. This has salved my conscience a lot.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Wardy wrote:
as I almost exclusively use the front laser
Good - I only use the fore laser (and the railgun, of course - a real dogfighter's weapon)!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

El Viejo wrote:
Wardy wrote:
Good - I only use the fore laser (and the railgun, of course - a real dogfighter's weapon)!
CustomLasers 1.77test oxp will be available shortly. Perhaps you gentlemen might find something in there to fit your playstyle. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Cody

Post by Cody »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Wardy wrote:
CustomLasers 1.77test oxp will be available shortly. Perhaps you gentlemen might find something in there to fit your playstyle.
The military fore laser suits me fine, as is. For dogfighting, what I really need is an on/off toggle for my Fighter Hud (without using the pause).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Interesting thread! For me it's about time. I just do not have the time in reality to do things "properly". So without "cheating" I'd get very bored very quickly as it should take a month or two do do some simple mission or part of an extended one. So I have no problem with, for example, using the Jump Planner to get across the galaxy in no (real) time. I just can't spend a quarter of an hour at each planet arriving, flying to the station, killing whatever is in the way, doing a c not a shift-c to dock, etc, etc. Not when I have to do work that I've brought home, homework and bedtime with the kids, watch Scandinavian crime drama and so on. So in my situation "doing it properly" actually detracts from being able to enjoy the game. Cheers! Rich.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
Not when I have to do work that I've brought home, homework and bedtime with the kids, watch Scandinavian crime drama and so on.
Is that what they call having a "life"?

:roll: It sounds pants.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Um . . . one version . . . :?
Did I say something wrong?
Rich.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
I just can't spend a quarter of an hour at each planet arriving, flying to the station, killing whatever is in the way, doing a c not a shift-c to dock, etc, etc.
But to me that is the game. That's what I like and what I do.
Funny how we all see the game in diffrent ways, isn't it?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

SandJ wrote:
richard.a.p.smith wrote:
Not when I have to do work that I've brought home, homework and bedtime with the kids, watch Scandinavian crime drama and so on.

Sadly, it seems perhaps some people haven't had a RL life for so long that they have forgotten what having a RL life is...or perhaps RL circumstances keep that RL life out of reach. No reason to pick on those with a RL life that have a part-time passion to play oolite.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
SandJ wrote:
richard.a.p.smith wrote:

Sadly, it seems perhaps some people haven't had a RL life for so long that they have forgotten what having a RL life is...or perhaps RL circumstances keep that RL life out of reach. No reason to pick on those with a RL life that have a part-time passion to play oolite.
Warning! Warning! Sense of humour failure detected! :lol:

Did you really think me saying someone having a life and spending time with their children instead of playing Oolite was meant as a criticism? :roll: It is tongue-in-cheek faux sympathy.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
SandJ wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
SandJ wrote:
Warning! Warning! Sense of humour failure detected! :lol:
Did you really think me saying someone having a life and spending time with their children instead of playing Oolite was meant as a criticism? :roll: It is tongue-in-cheek faux sympathy.
:lol: I know! haha! Just wanted to see what you would say SandJ. :P
The irony is that I was in fact referring to myself and that I shouldn't pick on you perhaps. :wink:
Yes, I know, my humor is very dry, deadpan, is he serious or what kind of fair. :)

WIKI+OXPs
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
:lol: I know! haha! Just wanted to see what you would say SandJ. :P
The irony is that I was in fact referring to myself and that I shouldn't pick on you perhaps. :wink:
Yes, I know, my humor is very dry, deadpan, is he serious or what kind of fair. :)
I can relate to that. :D

Some years ago - enough for me to have forgotten - I read some advice regarding USENET. It went something like this: "If you are surprised at someone's response and feel offended, read it again but imagine there's a smiley emoticon at the end. If that changes the meaning for the better, the author probably intended it to be there." I should probably put one after every post, but then I'd sound like a 13 year old girl, and there's enough middle-aged blokes on the 'Net doing that already!

Text-only media has so many limitations, and there are so many language and cultural differences globally, it is amazing the Internet functions at all.
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Smivs wrote:
But to me that is the game. That's what I like and what I do.
Funny how we all see the game in diffrent ways, isn't it?
Yep, maximising the run-in time is definitely the key to my enjoyment of this game. As well as manual docking, flying to the planet until you hear the station announcement (rather than using the compass to go straight there) also adds more time to the journey. Sometimes I even need to roll to place the station off-screen if it is too visible from a distance ;) Wide screen resolution helps here!