Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
... there is an ubiquitous reserve force, and we're all part of it.
Yep, that's us - a squadron of privateers who never refuse a mission.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Gimi wrote:
Can one, in a practical way, script lots of NPC ships jumping in from near by systems to avert a pending invasion or incursion?
Sure. Simply spawning ships at the witchpoint is the most basic scripting exercise.

The only practical limitation is the "lots and lot", because there is an upper limit to the number of entities (ships and other) allowed in a system at any given time.
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Script keeps track of how many are left, witches another strike force in when the current force has dwindled?
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Rese249er wrote:
Script keeps track of how many are left, witches another strike force in when the current force has dwindled?
The delicacy lies in the term "number of entities (ships and other)". From the game's perspective, there's no difference between a full ship and a piece of alloy from the wreckage of a ship. The allowed entity limit is 2048. If you have 128 ships, and each ship explodes and produces three alloys and one escape pod, you already have 512 entities. Spawn another 128 ships, let them explode and produce alloys and escape pods, and you're up at 1024. Repeat another two times, and your Ooniverse is "full". Nothing can be spawned anymore at all.

Now, not every exploding ship produces four entities, thus giving you some more headroom. Unfortunately, this is counterbalanced by the fact that the practical limit for entity count is far lower than 2048. A normal system in Oolite contains about 50 entities, depending on your OXPs it can raise to about 120. Most computers should handle this number well. I rarely experience systems that are more crowded than that. About 200 entities will result in a noticeable drop in frame rate (the game has to keep track of every one of them in each frame, after all). 300 is definitely verging into "unplayable" territory on older, slower computers.

This limits the possibilities of epic battles, at least if the player is supposed to play a part in them, as evidenced for instance by the later stages of Assassins OXP, where you are supposed to play a major part in some epic battles.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
... Unfortunately, this is counterbalanced by the fact that the practical limit for entity count is far lower than 2048.
Indeed - I've come across the 'Universe full' problem with large explosions before.
However, I don't think Gimi has massive, epic space battles in mind (he will correct me if I'm wrong).
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
However, I don't think Gimi has massive, epic space battles in mind (he will correct me if I'm wrong).
Nope, not at all. Or, it depends what you mean by massive and epic. Nothing that will exceed 30-40 ships in total, and not really a battle as such.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

You can follow a Thargoid invasion force's rampage through a system just by following the debris fields.
I've had 9 Thargoids added as a group to a system leave a debris field that numbered in the 100's of cargo, alloys, and escape pods.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

That must have been a profitable day for you.. :wink: :twisted:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

That's during my hacked testing...which doesn't count, as I don't even save such results.
Also, it's beyond too much of a hassle to scoop all that.
Now, when I'm testing big ship fights, I usually just have dumbAI.plist self-destruct on creation, removing all the unwanted alloys, cargo pods, asteroids, and derelict ships.
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Couple of possible station models done for the Galactic Navy...

A naval depot

and the Navy HQ (central docking hub can rotate in opposite direction, as requested :))

Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

May I request a place for the 249th in Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy?
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
superbatprime
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by superbatprime »

Rese249er wrote:
I second this motion.

I recently removed the GalNavy OXP from my game in favor of just having the 249th which is now becoming nicely fleshed out.
They look good, they work well and I believe they are way closer to the spirit of the GalNavy (that I've read about at least) than the original oxp (no disrespect to the author, that was an impressive multifunction large scale oxp but the 249th provide the kind of Navy presence I actually want in my game).

The 249th oxp has evolved greatly in the last while and the work Rese has put in really shows (and all the contributors) when you see them ingame.
It's a solid oxp that I'm guessing could be very valuable to the development of further Naval oxps more in keeping with the canonical fiction.

...and finally, the 249th are simply badass, look at that camo, even the name is cool.

/endfanboypost.
So then I says to him, I says "naw dude, Oolite ain't no Space Opera... Oolite is Space Rock and Roll!"
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Rese249er wrote:
First, HIMSN is probably a long way off.
They way I want to work this is to first get a simple Navy presence in place as I have described earlier in this thread (Version 1,2 and 3 of HIMSN.oxp). So, for version one, the answer is no.
For version 2 or 3, absolutely, but most likely in version 3 when it opens up for bolt on missions and stuff.
As this is a reserve squadron, they will fit in well as a bolt on to HIMSN.
Just one note: One thing that has been one of the main reasons for starting on something like HIMSN, was the big presence GLANAV had in the game. That means that I/we intend to make an encounter with a navy ship from HIMSN a rare event. From that follows that an encounter with a 249er unit would be even rarer if it is to be a part of HIMSN.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Can the Free Mexican Airforce join too, jefe?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

We'll have the bloody Green Knights signing up next at this rate! (if they ever return from their pub-crawl) :P
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.