Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

Post by Smivs »

Dyson sphere :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Pleb wrote:
... but if we were doing an assault on a thargoid system not on the charts... Still maybe they don't have a sun in the on thargoid worlds...
Ahh... in that case, it could be interesting.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Pleb wrote:
Cody wrote:
Gotta disagree - there is a certain something about IS, and the lack of (visible) spacedust is part of that.
I meant in the way of creating a new system in interstellar space purely for a mission. I agree with cim in that having a sun in interstellar space would mean it isn't interstellar space, but if we were doing an assault on a thargoid system not on the charts... Still maybe they don't have a sun in the on thargoid worlds... :wink:
Actually that would work really well - it could be around a brown dwarf or something instead - something that radiates out energy but never went thermonuclear - their planet could have a strong geothermal element as a basis for life. Since we know little about Thargoids official (that I know of?) who's to say they aren't largely blind by our standards, mostly seeing in infrared or something and relying on technology to see into the visible spectrums properly. (just spitballin here)
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

mossfoot wrote:
Pleb wrote:
Cody wrote:
Gotta disagree - there is a certain something about IS, and the lack of (visible) spacedust is part of that.
I meant in the way of creating a new system in interstellar space purely for a mission. I agree with cim in that having a sun in interstellar space would mean it isn't interstellar space, but if we were doing an assault on a thargoid system not on the charts... Still maybe they don't have a sun in the on thargoid worlds... :wink:
Actually that would work really well - it could be around a brown dwarf or something instead - something that radiates out energy but never went thermonuclear - their planet could have a strong geothermal element as a basis for life. Since we know little about Thargoids official (that I know of?) who's to say they aren't largely blind by our standards, mostly seeing in infrared or something and relying on technology to see into the visible spectrums properly. (just spitballin here)
Sounds good. Keep at it :wink:

'Inter-stellar' sort of puts a dampener on the idea of 'suns' but maybe there could be something that provides a similar focus as you suggest. A sort of cosmic geothermal vent or something.

I want to say black hole but... Oops! I've said it :P
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

I figure a brown dwarf would do it - think Jupiter but bigger. I believe it would even be dimly lit, too, not a sun (less than .1% brightness) which could make it any planets in the area very eerie looking. Maybe the planets have some kind of bioluminescence going on from their cities observable from space... Perfect setting for Thargoids. ;)
--

spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Smivs wrote:
Dyson sphere :wink:
now what book did i read about Dyson spheres in? got it!! the void trylogy....
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

So I have the current alpha installed, but so far I haven't seen anything anywhere HIMSN wise...
--

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Like it says on the box (aka, this thread), HIMSN keeps a much lower profile than the GalNavy OXP. Sitings of their ships are intentionally rare. IIRC, there's only one base in each chart. Should you approach it too closely without having official business with them, you may well live (albeit briefly) to regret it.. (note: that the linked post contains a hint as to where to find at least one base)

Keep in mind also that this is still a WIP. HIMSN does have some presence already, but there is still much to be added.

If you wish to go pulling the Dragon's tail for a closer look, I suggest you edit a copy of a gamesave so you have lots of cash to IronAss-ify a ship, then go looking for them.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Gordonmull
Average
Average

Post by Gordonmull »

I've just ploughed through all 49 pages and this looks awesome. I'll definitely be installing the Alpha.

I have a couple of minor suggestions and I don't know if they'd be possible (or even desirable) but here goes:

A good while back in the thread someone (I forget who now) mentioned that we as licensed pilots are HIMSN's reserves. On the rare occasion that HIMSN are encountered in combat with Thargoids it would be interesting as a player to be ordered into combat. Something along the lines of: "This is HIMSN requesting support against Thargoid vessels by all combat ready ships under section 12.2 of your pilot's license." With perhaps even a small bounty for breaching your license conditions if you disobey. (How that bounty would work, I don't know, just throwing the idea out there)

This is just a small flavour thing: After contact with thargoids, the next time a player docks a "Press Space" screen could pop up with the message "HIMSN has received your report on Thargoid movements in <current system> and thanks you for your assistance."

It doesn't have to actually do anything, it just shows the Navy are there and gives the hint of a bigger picture. Basically I'm thinking from a Navy commander's point of view that any information on enemy troop movements might be relevant and I'd expect even a reservist who contacted the enemy while not on active duty would still report in.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Gordonmull wrote:
A good while back in the thread someone (I forget who now) mentioned that we as licensed pilots are HIMSN's reserves. On the rare occasion that HIMSN are encountered in combat with Thargoids it would be interesting as a player to be ordered into combat. Something along the lines of: "This is HIMSN requesting support against Thargoid vessels by all combat ready ships under section 12.2 of your pilot's license." With perhaps even a small bounty for breaching your license conditions if you disobey. (How that bounty would work, I don't know, just throwing the idea out there)
Although this is doable it kind of reminds me of a feature in the Galactic Navy OXP. We are trying to move away from this somewhat, but there will be rare random encounters of battles between the HIMSN and the Thargoids.
Gordonmull wrote:
This is just a small flavour thing: After contact with thargoids, the next time a player docks a "Press Space" screen could pop up with the message "HIMSN has received your report on Thargoid movements in <current system> and thanks you for your assistance."
Again certainly possible but I will let Supreme Grand Admiral Gimi decide on this. :lol:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Cody

Post by Cody »

Gordonmull wrote:
After contact with thargoids, the next time a player docks a "Press Space" screen could pop up with the message "HIMSN has received your report on Thargoid movements in <current system> and thanks you for your assistance."
That could happen a little too often, I think. Better that the player should almost forget that HIMSN even exists - until their next encounter.
Gordonmull
Average
Average

Post by Gordonmull »

Pleb wrote:
Although this is doable it kind of reminds me of a feature in the Galactic Navy OXP. We are trying to move away from this somewhat, but there will be rare random encounters of battles between the HIMSN and the Thargoids.

I haven't actually tried the Gal Navy OXP. It sounds a little heavy handed to me, hence my interest in this OXP instead. I suppose we all know who the Thargoids are and what we should do if we find allies fighting them anyway. One question on that front, though, is if independent pilots were to try to help out on their own initiative, would the HIMSN vessels still warn them off? Would seem a little rude to me if they did!
Cody wrote:
That could happen a little too often, I think. Better that the player should almost forget that HIMSN even exists - until their next encounter.

I totally see your point on the repetitiveness front, but I can't help thinking something like this would happen in the game world. Maybe not even report to HIMSN directly but a GalCop liaison? I suppose it could just be taken as a given that any pilot would call in a Thargoid encounter without having to alert the player that it had been done, but I thought it would give the player a feeling of still being part of the war, even if not directly involved in the actual naval battles.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Aye well, I ain't the jefe.
Gordonmull wrote:
Maybe not even report to HIMSN directly but a GalCop liaison?
HIMSN have very little, if anything, to do with GalCop - they don't trust the crooked, thieving bastards!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Gordonmull wrote:
I haven't actually tried the Gal Navy OXP. It sounds a little heavy handed to me, hence my interest in this OXP instead. I suppose we all know who the Thargoids are and what we should do if we find allies fighting them anyway. One question on that front, though, is if independent pilots were to try to help out on their own initiative, would the HIMSN vessels still warn them off? Would seem a little rude to me if they did!
No they are only interested in Thargoids. However a Thargoid assault on a HIMSN facility or carrier might warn the player off if they help, I'll have to test this. I think you're right and they should accept the help...then warn the player off after the Thargoid threat has been removed.
Gordonmull wrote:
I totally see your point on the repetitiveness front, but I can't help thinking something like this would happen in the game world. Maybe not even report to HIMSN directly but a GalCop liaison? I suppose it could just be taken as a given that any pilot would call in a Thargoid encounter without having to alert the player that it had been done, but I thought it would give the player a feeling of still being part of the war, even if not directly involved in the actual naval battles.
GalCop and HIMSN resources are spread thinly trying to repel the Thargoids from Co-Operative space. So even if the player did encounter the Thargoids they kind of have their hands full to be able to do anything about it. HIMSN will engage and protect civilians if they encounter Thargoids attacking them, but they are not the cavalry to be called in when needed.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Gordonmull
Average
Average

Post by Gordonmull »

Pleb wrote:
GalCop and HIMSN resources are spread thinly trying to repel the Thargoids from Co-Operative space. So even if the player did encounter the Thargoids they kind of have their hands full to be able to do anything about it. HIMSN will engage and protect civilians if they encounter Thargoids attacking them, but they are not the cavalry to be called in when needed.
No deffo was not thinking about "the cavalry". More trying just to help out by calling in contacts "helping" the Navy to know about movements behind the "lines" as best they can be understood. Intelligence, not cries for help. No game mechanism, just an immersion thing. Anyroad, this game's predecessor relied heavily on my own make believe, so i can live with pretending to call 'em in and still be salivating over this mod :D

I'm no artist, programmer or anything although I have an idea of balance and storytelling from my tabletop RPG days. I've only been playing Oolite a short while but I'll keep shouting out ideas if and when they come and hopefully learn more about the game structure as I do.