Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

Post by Gimi »

Diziet Sma wrote:
So now I'm being pursued across the chart by Navy Special Ops... I've dodged a few witchpoint ambushes, but when I got to the Diedar Station Aegis, I got jumped by several Navy Special Ops Asps, who fried my carcass in very quick and efficient style..
:twisted:

Still a lot of tweaking to do, I'm sure. But I like this.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

I'd love to see an update to this to take advantage of 1.80's abilities :D (hint hint) ;)
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

mossfoot wrote:
I'd love to see an update to this to take advantage of 1.80's abilities :D (hint hint) ;)
It already does.. that's why the alpha is only available as an OXZ. :wink:
Until recently, you had to have trunk installed to playtest HIMSN.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
StathisR
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by StathisR »

I am removing GN and waiting eagerly for the full release :D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

...and the project is on hold for now due to some of the team having pressing RLTM commintments, and others (me) being a bit busy sorting out OXZ updates.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Yes but with any luck work should commence on this again soon. As Smivs said I've had some RL issues, such as our flat being flooded by a burst water pipe, being relocated to a temporary flat, now moving to a new house! Once we've settled in and I have them install a new fibre optic Internet connection (love those Virgin Media speeds) I'll be back and ready to work on this again, as I'm relying on my phone and a mobile broadband usb dongle at the moment...
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<looks up>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

cim wrote:
Gimi wrote:
1. First, is placing a system in interstellar space (sun and planets) something that might be possible in the future. I basically need to know if I can plan with this kind of functionality. I fully understand if no answer can be given.
Planets can be done in 1.76 (and there are at least a couple of OXPs that do it already). Suns? Probably someday, but almost certainly not in 1.78.
Now that 1.80 is (almost) in the rear-view mirror from a devs perspective, I just want to remind you about this, cim.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Thinking about it a bit more ... there is a problem at a fundamental level with placing a sun in interstellar space.

Without knowing exactly why this feature is needed, I don't know how likely a suitable alternative is either.
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Pleb wrote:
Yes but with any luck work should commence on this again soon. As Smivs said I've had some RL issues, such as our flat being flooded by a burst water pipe, being relocated to a temporary flat, now moving to a new house! Once we've settled in and I have them install a new fibre optic Internet connection (love those Virgin Media speeds) I'll be back and ready to work on this again, as I'm relying on my phone and a mobile broadband usb dongle at the moment...
Good luck with all that. A humble pilot/non-programmer-type/mediocre writer like me appreciates it :)

I'll be trying out the current version soon, but look forward to a full release - is there a list (or wiki) of what HIMSN currently includes and what is planned to be implemented before 1.0?
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

cim wrote:
Thinking about it a bit more ... there is a problem at a fundamental level with placing a sun in interstellar space.

Without knowing exactly why this feature is needed, I don't know how likely a suitable alternative is either.
It's already possible to create planets in interstellar space, a sun isn't essential just would have a nice feeling to it. Though certainly enabling suns to be in interstellar space, or multiple suns in normal space, is doable it's having multiple light sources that could cause an issue. Maybe they could be there without creating an additional light source?
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Pleb wrote:
It's already possible to create planets in interstellar space, a sun isn't essential just would have a nice feeling to it. Though certainly enabling suns to be in interstellar space, or multiple suns in normal space, is doable it's having multiple light sources that could cause an issue. Maybe they could be there without creating an additional light source?
Multiple suns (anywhere) would need a rewrite of all core and custom shaders to handle multiple light sources.

The problem with having a sun in interstellar space is that the test internally for interstellar space is "is there no sun about". This feels reasonable to me, since the definition of "interstellar" is "the bits where the suns aren't". If you want to add a sun to interstellar space, what you're actually asking for is the ability to add a 257th system to the chart. ("not soon" on that, though some of the prerequisite work for it may get into 1.82)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Pleb wrote:
... a sun isn't essential just would have a nice feeling to it...
Gotta disagree - there is a certain something about IS, and the lack of (visible) spacedust is part of that.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I have to agree with this. Having a sun in interstellar space is a bit like having some air in a vacuum.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Cody wrote:
Gotta disagree - there is a certain something about IS, and the lack of (visible) spacedust is part of that.
I meant in the way of creating a new system in interstellar space purely for a mission. I agree with cim in that having a sun in interstellar space would mean it isn't interstellar space, but if we were doing an assault on a thargoid system not on the charts... Still maybe they don't have a sun in the on thargoid worlds... :wink: