Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

Post by Gimi »

Cody wrote:
That perfect octagon within the one on the left is crying out for the right symbol - not too large, though.
Yep, but finding that perfect "imperial" symbol that works even when quite small is hard.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

A quick first-draft for a white Asp. It has blue down the middle. It may not be quite white enough, as it looks a little bit metallic in the screen shot, though seems OK in motion. Perhaps a bit more white and a bit less specular mapping would be best.

The picture is both with shaders (Extra Detail) and without (Minimum Detail). Never mind the Cobra description text over it; I used Start Choices OXP to get a good neutral-sun-colour shot of it.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

That looks good. I think the white comes out good. The blue is also a very good choice. I like it. A slight metallic look is fine. It gives a solid feel.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<nods> Excellent texture, is that - cool!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Gimi wrote:
Cody wrote:
That perfect octagon within the one on the left is crying out for the right symbol - not too large, though.
Yep, but finding that perfect "imperial" symbol that works even when quite small is hard.
Well, if you're looking for something different in the way of Imperial symbols, there's always the Fasces.

ImageImage

Something like this might work

A Google image search will turn up lots more examples..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Maybe a bit too much with the Anaconda. Used a template from dertien that had a lot of bits cut out already so different panels could be painted. The blue down the middle is my own thing though. I should add blue down the back as well rather than stop it where it is. Maybe; I dunno.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Sorry I haven't posted anything this weekend, been really busy! Have been keeping up with things on the internet via my phone, and I've managed to get a little bit done when I've had a few minutes spare. I've integrated the Galactic Misjump OXP into the HIMSN OXZ, so that you can now force a galactic misjump when jumping to the next galactic chart and pulling up at the last minute. Will take 2 minutes for the galactic hyperdrive to become operational again, so that's two minutes you have to survive what waiting for you! There's also the random chance of encountering rogue planets as well (I added a few entries into the planetinfo.plist file so they would spawn in different positions).

Download Test OXZ

I'm really liking the logos Disembodied and Gimi have been showing off, and the textures on those ships Keeper look great! Wish I was a bit more artistic and able to contribute something... :( But for the next mini test release I'm going to be showing off the new AI script I'm currently working on, taking cim's suggestion about having patrols launching from the station and doing duties. Hopefully this will make up for my lack of artistic tallent! :D Plus I like the idea Gimi suggested about Snoopers, but as Smivs pointed out this does assume the player is running Snoopers. An alternative to this would be to have a built in news flash pop up (as a mission screen) to notify the player of the goings on of nearby Navy squadrons?

EDIT: Another thing I want to fix in the next test is the fact that at the moment, every cruiser the player meets will identify itself as the HIMSS Nemo - Does anyone have some ship names I could use so that the cruisers have different names?
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Cody

Post by Cody »

Pleb wrote:
Does anyone have some ship names I could use so that the cruisers have different names?
As placeholders, here is a list of RN (and other) battlecruisers. We can think up some original names later.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cody wrote:
Pleb wrote:
Does anyone have some ship names I could use so that the cruisers have different names?
As placeholders, here is a list of RN (and other) battlecruisers. We can think up some original names later.
<resists urge to suggest Culture warship names>
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Cody wrote:
Pleb wrote:
<resists urge to suggest Culture warship names>
That would be a grey area, methinks!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

More experimentation:
Flaming star:
Pennant:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Not bad at all.. me likes!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I wondered about a ringed planet inside the star.
The symbol is recognisable by all species (as I suspect ringed planets are very common) and as well as being an obvious 'space' symbol, it could also represent a 'ring of steel' around the planet, symbolising protection.

Also, liking Keeper's textures a lot. They look the business.
Might save me a lot of work as well :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Looks great, Smivs!