Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

Post by Sendraks »

I really wasn't aware that people thought the Gal Navy was such a problem. I think their presence on a system by system basis is just about right, given how big space is and all that. I see Behemoth's infrequently enough to still be impressed by them each time I see them and get into battles involving them even less.

But hey, no reason I can't have HIMSN and Gal Navy installed as well eh? :D
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Sendraks wrote:
But hey, no reason I can't have HIMSN and Gal Navy installed as well eh? :D
It's being designed so it can run along side it without interfering, so there's nothing to stop you running both.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Sendraks wrote:
I really wasn't aware that people thought the Gal Navy was such a problem.
There are many opinions about this here. I feel that an ooniverse wide martial law has been declared when playing with GalNavy oxp. It feels very much like the setting in Drew Wagar's Finis. I actually installed GalNavy and played with it for a while just after I had read the Saga. At some stage the Navy presence started to feel too overwhelming and thus I don't play with it installed anymore.

It's worth reading through this thread to get into the feeling of HIMSN that's been shaped here. Lot's of ideas floating around :wink: .
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

spara wrote:
I really wasn't aware that people thought the Gal Navy was such a problem.
There are many opinions about this here. I feel that an ooniverse wide martial law has been declared when playing with GalNavy oxp. It feels very much like the setting in Drew Wagar's Finis. I actually installed GalNavy and played with it for a while just after I had read the Saga. At some stage the Navy presence started to feel too overwhelming and thus I don't play with it installed anymore.[/quote]

My feeling is that without the Gal Navy the concept of a "police presence" in the more lawful systems has little meaning. It makes a starker contrast between those and the feudal/anarchy systems that I felt was lacking from the game.
spara wrote:
It's worth reading through this thread to get into the feeling of HIMSN that's been shaped here. Lot's of ideas floating around :wink: .
I think there are some great ideas in this thread and am really looking forward to seeing this OXP develop.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<scratches head - deciphers the mixed-up quote>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Sorry for my absence.

To much of a presence is not the only problem with Gal Navy. Behaviour is in my view also wrong. Mostly I find that Gal Navy ships behave like police. They are not, they are military. I do have some rules written down somewhere regarding this. The rules are also presented in short somewhere in this thread.

My view/wish is:
HIMSN ships will not interfere with offenders and fugitives. They will report crime, so you will get a bounty if they see you but they will leave it to the police.
If you attack them they will remember you for a very, very long time.
When they do retaliate, they will do so in force. No such thing as a fair fight in the military. You use every advantage you have.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
When they do retaliate, they will do so in force.
They're certainly doing that! Ripped me to shreds last night, they did - and the very next flight, a GG did the same!
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Gimi wrote:
To much of a presence is not the only problem with Gal Navy. Behaviour is in my view also wrong. Mostly I find that Gal Navy ships behave like police. They are not, they are military. I do have some rules written down somewhere regarding this. The rules are also presented in short somewhere in this thread.

My view/wish is:
HIMSN ships will not interfere with offenders and fugitives. They will report crime, so you will get a bounty if they see you but they will leave it to the police.
If you attack them they will remember you for a very, very long time.
When they do retaliate, they will do so in force. No such thing as a fair fight in the military. You use every advantage you have.
I do agree with these rules to an extent and wouldn't mind seeing them implemented in the Gal Navy oxp as well as HIMSN.

However, while I agree that the Gal Navy shouldn't aggress against fugitives or offenders, unless they observe a criminal act against another space farer. I think it is a reasonable expectation that the armed forces would intervene if they saw a crime in process, but it is not their job to hunt criminals otherwise. I think the same would be true for HIMSN as well.

I mean seriously, would you committ a crime such as assault or theft in plain view of a group of soldiers in uniform?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spara wrote:
Very much so.. I think it's important to read the entire thread.
Gimi wrote:
I do have some rules written down somewhere regarding this. The rules are also presented in short somewhere in this thread.
I hope you can find the full rule-set.. I'd love to see them here.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Pleb wrote:
some which the player will stumble across by accident and some that may make appearences in missions.
It is fine, I mean similar things under "not so hidden". Maybe the original chance of misjump is too low, if leaved as is then very near to never will be happen at the right place, so I suggest to increase it from "never" to "accident" level (Edit: between the concerned systems only).

Here is a sample code (system ids are not real except Lave and Zaonce where I tested it):

Code: Select all

this.shipWillEnterWitchspace = function( cause ) {
	var sids = []; //array of system ids
	sids[0] = [7,41,129,212]; //misjump is more often between these systems in the first galaxy
	sids[1] = [3,55,67,76,193,220]; //misjump is more often in the second galaxy
	//..add more up to sids[7]
	var s1 = system.ID;
	var s2 = player.ship.targetSystem;
	if( !system.isInterstellarSpace && cause != "galactic jump" && s1 && s2
		&& sids[ galaxyNumber ].indexOf( s1 ) > -1
		&& sids[ galaxyNumber ].indexOf( s2 ) > -1
		&& Math.random() < 0.2 ) // 20% chance
		player.ship.scriptedMisjump = true;
}
Last edited by Norby on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Do you mean that this OXP should increase the chances of a normal misjump, Norby? If so, I disagree.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Sendraks wrote:
My feeling is that without the Gal Navy the concept of a "police presence" in the more lawful systems has little meaning. It makes a starker contrast between those and the feudal/anarchy systems that I felt was lacking from the game.
1.79 significantly increases the difference in the number of police (and so also the number of pirates) between Anarchy and Corporate State systems.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Cody wrote:
this OXP should increase the chances of a normal misjump, Norby?
Usually not, only at the very few places where outposts are. In the sample I set this chance to 20% so need 5 jumps in average which is enough to miss it usually but run into accidentally imho and easy to change or extend if it is too much or few sometimes.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Okay, I understand now.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Sendraks wrote:
However, while I agree that the Gal Navy shouldn't aggress against fugitives or offenders, unless they observe a criminal act against another space farer. I think it is a reasonable expectation that the armed forces would intervene if they saw a crime in process, but it is not their job to hunt criminals otherwise. I think the same would be true for HIMSN as well.

I mean seriously, would you committ a crime such as assault or theft in plain view of a group of soldiers in uniform?
Actually, in many countries the armed forces are severely limited in what they are allowed to do in such cases. There is a principle in most western countries that the military is not allowed to use force against it's own population or within it's own borders unless they are countering a threat from a foreign power or placed under Police command. They would be expected to prevent crime when it threatens life, but if the criminal was to flee and no longer pose a threat their rights and duties to apprehend that criminal would be the same as any ordinary citizen.

Norway, for historical reasons, has one of the stricter interpretations of this principle, the UK as far as I know has a more liberal interpretation.

My main point is that there should be a distinct difference between HIMSN and the Police in Oolite.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).