(TEST RELEASE)CustomLasersv0.21 WIP for 1.77trunk/may31,2012

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: Custom Lasers WIP for 1.77

Post by Svengali »

Just to remember - it's possible to check the playership via CCL_Strength and if it's beyond (or below) a threshold you can react... Personally I think it's the only option we OXPers have without starting a (stupid, unnecessary and contraproductive) OXP war - a pragmatic way .-)
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I agree Smivs, that Killit,WonderWorms,DarkRainbows,APRIL etc seriously tip the balance of the game in favour of the player and in that respect can remove the challenge and denigrate the gaming experience, There is also no fun in awarding oneself equipment they have not earned or paid for through trading.

What I am saying is... If you got an OXP installed that makes the game harder it might be useful to have OXPs that assist the player in meeting the increased demands of said OXPs...
The Alternative being(And one I am also very content with) to stay with the core trunk and simply use ambience and texture oxps to add to the experience. :)

However . It is evident from the OXP list that we are now in a your game, the way you like it situation. So if it is in fact open season, Why not have a Laser that cools at increased rates, maybe have an an Integer system like the lasers themselves . e.g. Pulse, Beam , Mining and Military Coolant that shave off percentages at which the things over heat and all for a price ,,, Just thinkin allowed of course.

P.S. I'm not overly fussed because I love the game anyway :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Duggan wrote:
What I am saying is... If you got an OXP installed that makes the game harder it might be useful to have OXPs that assist the player in meeting the increased demands of said OXPs...
But surely OXPs that toughen up the opponents are to counter the improving skills of the player...they are to help the game keep up with the player, not overwhelm him. Anyone who can't cope with the OXPs they've installed has installed the wrong OXPs!
Duggan wrote:
...why not have a Laser that cools at increased rates, maybe have an an Integer system like the lasers themselves . e.g. Pulse, Beam , Mining and Military Coolant that shave off percentages at which the things over heat and all for a price ,,, Just thinkin allowed of course.
:roll: :D
Duggan wrote:
P.S. I'm not overly fussed because I love the game anyway :)
We all do, that's why we care. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Duggan wrote:
Why not have a Laser that cools at increased rates...
...or perhaps heats up at increased rates? :wink:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Duggan wrote:
Why not have a Laser that cools at increased rates...
...or perhaps heats up at increased rates? :wink:
Yes, I like that! The closer to a Maintenance Overhaul you are, the more your lasers overheat. :evil:
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Now your talkin!
.or perhaps heats up at increased rates? :wink:
Maybe Misfires, Blockages, Stoppages, Backfires..Imagine trying to shoot down a heavily armed Python only to have your Cannons Fizzle and Pop or cause damage, even blow ones own ship to pieces. Good uses for the Escape Pod and Fuel Injectors I think.

I know , I can be mercurial at times, but I am well persuaded that in some cases making the game more difficult can increase the immersion factor .

There are indeed many facets to the diamond that is Oolite. :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Wardy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Wardy »

On the subject of "Cool things to do with lasers", how about an adjustable laser, with some sort of interface to increase/decrease the damage, traded off against increased/decreased heat generation and power consumption. Of course, such a laser would be more expensive, and if you pump up the damage too far it would overheat PDQ.

If you really want to cool your lasers (Impossible at the moment as I understand and not necesarily wanted anyway), you could have a small but expensive tank of Laser Coolant, good old liquid nitrogen or some such that you could "flush" over your laser's heat sinks in an emergency to take your heat level down partially, or even totally. I would not endorse a large capacity, maybe a single use only, and would expect refills to be to be pricey.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

To people panicking that some OXPer are all out to destroy game balance/spirit of Oolite may I extract a quote from CSOTB's first post.
The focus will be to create Elite type lasers from elite canon
Re multiple front player lasers at any one time - the OXP's are already out there, and changes to current trunk don't actually make much difference to the possibility of doing this or not. Some of the changes Thargoid is talking about is to make existing weapon OXP's better and more comprehensively coded. Personally I've got no problem with multiple front lasers on a player ship, but would prefer it only to be possible on player flyable ships where the NPC equivalent has multiple front lasers (the fact that this isn't the default is an immersion breaker for me).

I've got two 1.77 OXP's on the card's with regards to lasers. The first clearly is a negative balancer making it more difficult for the player. The second I think is pretty much balance neutral, but allows the player more options of how to play the game.

1) Existing lasers can be damaged in combat (but only when the temps are in the red). That'll give combateers something else to think about... :twisted:

2) A switchable front laser mount - expensive, but can load say a mining and military laser and allow them to be swapped using N, shift N. They share the same cooling system so it's not a side door to laser cooling, and as a mechanical switching system there will be a delay of a few seconds with no laser at all, along with a very small chance of mechanical failure and a jammed front laser on each use.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
Re multiple front player lasers at any one time - the OXP's are already out there, and changes to current trunk don't actually make much difference to the possibility of doing this or not. Some of the changes Thargoid is talking about is to make existing weapon OXP's better and more comprehensively coded. Personally I've got no problem with multiple front lasers on a player ship, but would prefer it only to be possible on player flyable ships where the NPC equivalent has multiple front lasers (the fact that this isn't the default is an immersion breaker for me).
It will also stop OXP weapons potentially breaking missions. We've had examples of people using them on things like the Constrictor, and then as they don't get the kill recognised as by them the mission fails. That particular one isn't too difficult to script-around, but a wider way of doing it "automagically" would be nicer to cover all bases.

And in 1.77 there should be more balance anyway for equipment and weaponry, as we can properly have them take up cargo space. Hence for example the APRIL will take up 5t, with its expansion taking up a further 5t and also others of my equipment like the Missile Machine will also start to take up space. If you don't have the room, you don't get to use them...

Capt. Murphy wrote:
2) A switchable front laser mount - expensive, but can load say a mining and military laser and allow them to be swapped using N, shift N. They share the same cooling system so it's not a side door to laser cooling, and as a mechanical switching system there will be a delay of a few seconds with no laser at all, along with a very small chance of mechanical failure and a jammed front laser on each use.
I was also thinking of that one (almost word for word), so if you're already on it I'll leave it to you.

And as for ships using multiple lasers, for me it was actually balancing back again. It's always been odd to me that there are certain ships which if NPC have multiple lasers, but suddenly if the player gets one they lose all but one of them. That's immersion-breaking straight away.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thargoid wrote:
And as for ships using multiple lasers, for me it was actually balancing back again. It's always been odd to me that there are certain ships which if NPC have multiple lasers, but suddenly if the player gets one they lose all but one of them. That's immersion-breaking straight away.[/color]
Very un-balanced, which is why no ships in my Ooniverse have more than single lasers. Simples!
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Thargoid wrote:
Capt. Murphy wrote:
I was also thinking of that one (almost word for word), so if you're already on it I'll leave it to you.
I haven't started it yet and have got a fair few other fish on the fryer so if you want to crack on with that one feel free. It's not what CSOTB is planning (I checked with him).
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
I wouldn't care if the switch took a minute. Even as a "Apply / Remove the Mining Laser Conversion Lens Kit" it would be a very useful feature. (That way it is the same laser, merely fragmented into multiple parallel beams to function as a mining laser.)

Mind you' I'd have to learn how to do mining from the front instead of the starboard. :roll:
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

What's the script one would use to query if the player's ship can equip a laser in a specific mount for example the aft mount position? In other words to find out if lasers are even mountable in a specific mounting position.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
What's the script one would use to query if the player's ship can equip a laser in a specific mount for example the aft mount position? In other words to find out if lasers are even mountable in a specific mounting position.
Currently? Check if there's currently a laser there. If there is, lasers can be fitted there. If not, try adding a pulse laser. If there is now a pulse laser there, lasers can be fitted there (and remove the pulse laser). If there isn't, the ship doesn't have that mount. Give me a couple of days, and I'll add a way to view the weapon_facings parameter of shipyard.plist for player ships, since that method is excessively convoluted...
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

cim wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Currently? Check if there's currently a laser there. If there is, lasers can be fitted there. If not, try adding a pulse laser. If there is now a pulse laser there, lasers can be fitted there (and remove the pulse laser). If there isn't, the ship doesn't have that mount. ...
That's what I was thinking. :lol:
cim wrote:
...Give me a couple of days, and I'll add a way to view the weapon_facings parameter of shipyard.plist for player ships, since that method is excessively convoluted...
Thanks cim, you're the best! :wink: I can make do for a few more days, I'll just do some more "custom" laser designing and come back to that bit after. :D

WIKI+OXPs