Taxi Galactica v1.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Taxi Galactica v1.0

Post by Pleb »

He didn't pay you? You should have sold him as a slave...or just jettisoned him into space! :twisted:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Absolutely! Speaking as an ex-cabbie, you ride, you pay - or else..

If you're unhappy with the service, don't leave a tip. If you're really that unhappy with the service, you pay, make sure to get a receipt, and take it up with the relevant authorities. But if you exit without paying, that's an offence. Depending on the circumstances, theft, or fraud.

(speaking of which, is there any tipping for speedy service?)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Diziet Sma wrote:
There will be in the next main release of Taxi Galactica :wink:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Pleb wrote:
...the Standard Edition (based on stock-game models) in the next release...
Do you have a 'stock' Moray taxi, or would you like one?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Speaking as an ex-cabbie, you ride, you pay - or else..
Speaking as an ex-radio controller, if one of my cabs had a troublesome punter onboard, and called a 'Mayday', I'd have a bunch of cabs to that location PDQ!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

El Viejo wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Speaking as an ex-radio controller, if one of my cabs had a troublesome punter onboard, and called a 'Mayday', I'd have a bunch of cabs to that location PDQ!
Hehe - ever got a drunken passenger .-)
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Absolutely! Speaking as an ex-cabbie, you ride, you pay - or else..

If you're unhappy with the service, don't leave a tip. If you're really that unhappy with the service, you pay, make sure to get a receipt, and take it up with the relevant authorities. But if you exit without paying, that's an offence. Depending on the circumstances, theft, or fraud.

It could actually be pretty cool to get paid no matter how badly you performed, but then get a strict warning from your boss because the customer reported you. The report could then be some kind of random rant from the passenger that you showed up late, smelled of booze, flew the ship reckless or the like.
After 2 warnings your boss could then demote you by either decreasing your reputation, temporarily disable you fuel injectors (you know, because of your reckless flying) for the next 3 (or another number of random rides), disable your HyperRadio so you aren't distracted etc etc. All creating the incentive to do better and work your way up and not taking on missions you cannot fulfill.

edit: While dreaming it would also be pretty funny to have a random script where the passenger would tell you to slow down, come to a halt because of the tremendous G force your craft is pulling, or turn off the radio because he/she didn't like the station or the volume. This would then have consequences on your final payout, tip, reputation or reporting to your boss :D
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

There are some good ideas there. These ponderings are about in-system taxi. I'll probably move to my own thread, when I'll publish the first WIP version. But for now, I'll borrow Pleb's thread as this is an addon to the Taxi Galactica and these ideas might benefit us both.

I'll have to think about the one about reputation to in-system contracts. It could just simply affect to the number of contracts offered to you. Too many missed deadlines could also invalidate your taxi comms device, so you would have to buy it again, if you want to get more in-flight contracts.

Tipping is also a good idea. I'll put that in too. So the fee for in-system contracts could be: base price + price/km + extra for hurrying customer + tip for speedy service.

Not paying vs paying something is a bit problematic. ATM, if you miss the deadline, the passenger will leave your taxi, wherever you dock and does not pay. That's a simple solution to overcome game's own passenger handling. I have to get rid of passenger who is overdue quickly because the games own passenger handling seems to step in, when the passenger is greatly overdue. After that it seems that I can't remove that passenger the way I want to do it and it will also affect the games own passenger reputation. I don't want to do that. IMO these in-system contracts must be kept different from the games own reputation system. Then again passenger paying for arriving any station sound like a money machine. Hmmm. I'll probably stick with the simple solution. After all, it's a game.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Smivs wrote:
I don't have a stock one yet, but if you'd like to texture one for me I would be most appreciative. :wink:
spara wrote:
Then again passenger paying for arriving any station sound like a money machine.
Agreed, I wouldn't want these Taxi missions to be considered 'easy money', which is why I'm improving the AI used on the pirates you encounter when doing missions. :twisted:

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Pleb wrote:
Smivs wrote:
I don't have a stock one yet, but if you'd like to texture one for me I would be most appreciative. :wink:
<Smivs grabs a Moray and heads off to the paintshop...>
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Svengali wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Hehe - ever got a drunken passenger .-)
More than a few.. "a royal PITA" doesn't even begin to describe them.. :x :x :x
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Pleb wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Something like this?

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Wow, this is perfect smivs! Thanks for creating another addition for my Taxi fleet! 8)

CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

Switeck wrote:
Pleb wrote:
Agreed I didn't ever want commodities to be bought/sold there, as I dislike there being places in the same system where you could trade back and forth and make 'easy money'. It discourages players, especially 'Jamesons', from going out and exploring the ooniverse... .
This is why if commodities are allowed they must be very close to the same price as the main station. Quantities should almost always be tiny unless it's a dedicated mining facility. Your Ad Here OXP is not a regular part of my game because they have silly prices....
Which just goes to show you, "fun" is subjective. I *like* discovering these in-system trade opportunities, to me, it makes the game more interesting, not less, and it rewards exploration and discovery. To me, oolite is about more options, not less. And the limited quantities available places a cap on what can be traded in one system at one time. I like getting a good deal on narcs at the RH seedy space bar, it's not a guaranteed big haul though because narc prices are highly variable. And I had to fight and claw my way to the bar through a very dangerous anarchy system in the first place! Not to mention the very, very dangerous criminal gang furballs that frequently break out around the seedy space bars. More than once I've been stuck with a load of weed I couldn't dump for a massive profit even after jumping around through several systems. It adds options and variability to the game and to me that's what it's all about.
Amah
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: aboard the Laenina Crowne - Yasen-N class space freighter

Post by Amah »

Smivs wrote:
Pleb wrote:
...the Standard Edition (based on stock-game models) in the next release...
FYI I updated Dertien's Moray Starboat "Z Groovy YellOo Cab" to work with the Griff resources.
Amah