Taxi Galactica v1.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Taxi Galactica v1.0

Post by Diziet Sma »

GGShinobi wrote:
spara wrote:
Strange indeed. :? Maybe it's my installation of Oolite (Linux), that's causing these. I wonder if someone else has has seen these in their log.

Indeed:

Code: Select all

17:38:57.300 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader venomshaderv.vertex/venomshaderf.fragment.
17:38:57.312 [station.launchShip.failed]: Cancelled launch for a Venom with role trader, as it is too large for the docking port of the ?.
17:38:57.343 [station.launchShip.failed]: Cancelled launch for a Anaconda with role trader, as it is too large for the docking port of the ?.
17:39:44.208 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]: ----- JavaScript warning (militarytargettingsystem 1.0): removeFrameCallback(): invalid tracking ID.
17:39:44.208 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]:       /home/ggshinobi/.Oolite/AddOns/MilitaryTargettingSystemv1.oxp/Scripts/militarytargettingsystem.js, line 195.
I am getting A LOT of these since I upgraded to 1.77. I thought it was a feature of the new version, attempting to make ship launches not look odd (by preventing that a ship that is bigger than the docking port pops up there). I didn't think it has to do with Taxi Galactica.
Confirmed.. I don't have Taxi Galactica either, and I get quite a few of these entries. I don't recall if it is failing to identify the station though, and my current 2 logs don't have any examples to check.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

spara wrote:
Looking forward to these. Have you considered adding a tweak to the adder, so that it can be fitted with a 3 tn cargo expansion to allow it to be used as a taxi cab by player? It would make sense. Switeck's Shipping OXP and my Start Choices OXP do that. How about the market, is there going to be something suitable to be bought/sold? Like food, liquors or luxuries?
I haven't thought about making the Taxi Adder playable before, but it wouldn't be hard to do. Consider it part of the next release! :D

As for the market, the following commodities will be available to buy/sell:

Luxuries
Gold
Platinum
Gem-stones
Alien Items

Bascially anything that get's left in a Taxi Adder by passengers and does't get claimed within 30 days... :lol:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Pleb wrote:
I haven't thought about making the Taxi Adder playable before, but it wouldn't be hard to do. Consider it part of the next release! :D
Here's an idea. What if these taxi cabs are available only from a taxi station as an upgrade to an Adder. To obtain one, you would need to go to a taxi station flying an Adder. In the station, you would be offered a chance to upgrade your Adder to a Taxi Adder for the price of the overhaul, cargo expansion and passenger berth. Paint job would come for free :D. Old Taxis should be quite rare in common ship markets.
Pleb wrote:

Luxuries
Gold
Platinum
Gem-stones
Alien Items

Bascially anything that get's left in a Taxi Adder by passengers and does't get claimed within 30 days... :lol:
There should be very low quantities of these in the market and I would also consider preventing selling altogether, like in Commodities Markets oxp prevents selling when in buying. Or is there some shady black market?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Pleb wrote:

Luxuries
Gold
Platinum
Gem-stones
Alien Items

Then you need to create a new commodity: Umbrellas :lol:

Can't tell you how many got left in my cab over the years..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

spara wrote:
Here's an idea. What if these taxi cabs are available only from a taxi station as an upgrade to an Adder. To obtain one, you would need to go to a taxi station flying an Adder. In the station, you would be offered a chance to upgrade your Adder to a Taxi Adder for the price of the overhaul, cargo expansion and passenger berth. Paint job would come for free :D. Old Taxis should be quite rare in common ship markets.
This is an interesting idea, and more plausible than selling Taxi Adders outright. I may have to poach this... 8)
spara wrote:
There should be very low quantities of these in the market and I would also consider preventing selling altogether, like in Commodities Markets oxp prevents selling when in buying. Or is there some shady black market?
Actually just being able to buy these commodities would be better, will have to look into this. But in all fairness this OXP isn't about buying commodities! :wink:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Then you need to create a new commodity: Umbrellas :lol:

Can't tell you how many got left in my cab over the years..
Lol we'll just pretend it comes under Luxuries... :lol:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Pleb wrote:
This is an interesting idea, and more plausible than selling Taxi Adders outright. I may have to poach this... 8)
"Would you like you Adder to be painted Pink or Yellow, Commander" :D
Pleb wrote:
But in all fairness this OXP isn't about buying commodities!
That's true. Quantities left to the taxis are probably so small, that it does not justify selling them in the market.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Just a mention that my (surprisingly popular) YellOo Cabs make excellent Taxis, and you are welcome to incorporate them into Taxi Galactica if they would be of use.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Pleb wrote:
spara wrote:
Actually just being able to buy these commodities would be better, will have to look into this. But in all fairness this OXP isn't about buying commodities! :wink:
It would be hard to allow buying but not selling. Cargo amounts could be checked and re-added then credits edited as well, but it would likely be a "jarring" manner that's messy and not totally obvious to the player.

Better to just block commodities if you don't really want it.
There is a way to block out the commodities market. Save Anywhere OXP uses such a method to prevent buying and selling at the main station when you're temporarily placed there to save your game.

Unless I set my ship up to act as a Taxi, what reason would I ever have to visit a Taxi station?
I suggested small quantities of commodities (gold/plat/gems) or at least a place to sell some commodities (food, liquors/wines) only as a means of giving me something to do there.

Are there or might there be missions associated with Taxi Galactica?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Switeck wrote:
There is a way to block out the commodities market.
"market" = "none"; - does that do it?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

El Viejo wrote:
Switeck wrote:
There is a way to block out the commodities market.
"market" = "none"; - does that do it?
It sets the prices and amounts to 0. The market screen is still there.
Cody

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
<nods> Coyote's Run replaces a non-main station's market screen (F8) with text, but I can't recall how.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

El Viejo wrote:
spara wrote:
<nods> Coyote's Run replaces a non-main station's market screen (F8) with text, but I can't recall how.
Just put a mission screen on top of it.
Cody

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
Just put a mission screen on top of it.
That simple, eh? Fiendish, these boffins!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

If you want script examples, look in Lave Academy or Planetfall (for the non-trade locations like the dump, wasteland or moonscape.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

One more idea. :D Real taxis have comms so that they can be notified of customers when they are driving. Taxi Station could offer a buyable equipment that would alert player when there is a customer waiting. These contracts could be randomly generated in-system transports from one station to another or maybe to the planet or moon surface depending on the oxps installed. When flying in a system you might get a comms message saying something like "Customer waiting for a transport from Coriolis Station to RSS Station, do you accept?" If you want the job, you would have to accept it in 1 min. Accepting could be done with primable equipment and the payment could be fixed to something like 100 cr.