Tax OXP?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Tax OXP?

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
Wouldn't it be possible to generate two sets of maps then - one with and one without the SecComs?
Hi L... nice idea, but it's beyond my ken, and not worth ClymAngus' time to cater to a personal foible... heh!
Derail a thread about tax, Gimi? Us? Perish the thought! You are entirely correct about the strategic positioning, btw.
I had a look at maps just now. The source files are available from the Wiki, and they can be edited in Inkscape (freeware). You can make your own customized versions.
It also got me thinking about where I would keep a Navy presence in the Ooniverse. Some interesting scenarios there.

Tax to Naval strategy in space. That not to big a derailment. Tax does pay for the military after all.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Gimi wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
personally I think that the whole Galactic Navy.oxp is just wrong.
Ah, so I'm not the only one who thinks that... cool!
Hm, I dropped this out of my game about a year ago. Became too dominant, the navy was everywhere and acted more like Police. I eventually decided I didn't like it.
I do like the concept of a Galactic Navy OXP though, but the current one doesn't fit within my game.
So, EV you are not alone by any means.
Annoying thing is, there are a few other OXP's that I would like to use that require Galactic Navy.oxp to be installed.
I hacked Galactic Navy OXP to only place extra ships in systems and interstellar space far more rarely than it originally did. The odds of running into a Gal. Navy fighting Thargoids anywhere should be very low unless you're joining a planned-in-advance battle. Behemoths should be very rare -- you shouldn't normally see one even at sector command systems.

Sector command systems seems a likely place for additional Gal. Navy taxes, since they have to pay for all their toys somehow. I guess this is somewhat figured into the higher costs (at least at first) for equipment/fuel at their command stations. If in addition to that, you had to pay 1 credit every time you docked there (unless you were well-liked by them)...that could also act as a tax.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Switeck wrote:
Sector command systems seems a likely place for additional Gal. Navy taxes, since they have to pay for all their toys somehow. I guess this is somewhat figured into the higher costs (at least at first) for equipment/fuel at their command stations. If in addition to that, you had to pay 1 credit every time you docked there (unless you were well-liked by them)...that could also act as a tax.
Smivs admires Switeck's attempt to get the thread back on-topic, but fears it is doomed to failure nonetheless. :P
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
Smivs admires Switeck's attempt to get the thread back on-topic, but fears it is doomed to failure nonetheless.
Yep!
Gimi wrote:
It also got me thinking about where I would keep a Navy presence in the Ooniverse. Some interesting scenarios there.
Damn! I'll be poring over those maps all night now, Gimi! At least you have nice printed copies... don't you?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Switeck wrote:
I hacked Galactic Navy OXP to only place extra ships in systems and interstellar space far more rarely than it originally did. The odds of running into a Gal. Navy fighting Thargoids anywhere should be very low unless you're joining a planned-in-advance battle. Behemoths should be very rare -- you shouldn't normally see one even at sector command systems.
This would be an improvement in my view, but my wish would be for a complete makeover of Galactic Navy.oxp. Graphics, positioning, range of ships (Should be, Fighters (Asp), Corvettes (Anacondas), Frigates, Destroyers, Cruisers, Battle Ships, Carriers, with some more thrown in for variation maybe. My opinion, but hey, I'm indoctrinated and damaged in this area)
The mission system and a lot of the other stuff is fine in my view.
Switeck wrote:
I view the Galactic Navy slightly different. They don't care much about an individual system, so any tax would have to be galaxy wide. Their focus would be the Thargoids on behalf of all galaxies, and prevention of wars between systems and destabilization of galaxies or regions as a result. For this, I think the war bond system is fine.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Smivs admires Switeck's attempt to get the thread back on-topic, but fears it is doomed to failure nonetheless.
Yep!
Gimi wrote:
Damn! I'll be poring over those maps all night now, Gimi! At least you have nice printed copies... don't you?
I have A2 size copies printed on chart paper of all, plus the nice huge copy of Galaxy 1 that ClymAngus gave us at the Oolite meet. I have messed up Galaxy 2 and 3 though (Coffee), so I need to talk nicely to the chaps at work again.
<Gimi wonders if anyone will pick up and refurbish Galactic Navy.oxp>
Cody

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
but my wish would be for a complete makeover of Galactic Navy.oxp.
A complete makeover (strategically correct is most important), and call it HIMSN OXP!

A2 size!!! Grrr!!!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
HIMSN OXP!
His Imperial Majesty's Space Navy :lol:
So HQ would be in a feudal system then?
Why not just the ISN. Ships would be HIMSS or HIMS.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

So my innocent (?) remark about providing alternate maps has branched out into generating insomniac nights for some ...

Nowhere but on this board do threads get derailed like this :mrgreen:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Lestradae wrote:
Nowhere but on this board do threads get derailed like this
Ain't that the truth!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Lestradae wrote:
Hey, we are still talking about Oolite. Now if we were to discuss the marketing strategies for Jellybabies in chart one, it would be a serious derailment.
You are right though Lestradae.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Did somebody mention Jellybabies? :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Lestradae wrote:
So my innocent (?) remark about providing alternate maps has branched out into generating insomniac nights for some ...
As opposed to insomniac days?

You can have layers in PDFs these days; so the SecComs could be turned on and off by being on their own layer.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Lestradae wrote:
The Oolite-BB derailments are nothing.. you should see another board I frequent.. a political thread may turn into a gardening discussion.. a financial discussion may degenerate into a series of snappy puns.. you name it.. and there are often 2 or even 3 separate conversations going on in the same thread, generally only one of which is related to the original topic.. 'tis always educational though.. :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
The Oolite-BB derailments are nothing.. you should see another board I frequent.. a political thread may turn into a gardening discussion.. a financial discussion may degenerate into a series of snappy puns.. you name it.. and there are often 2 or even 3 separate conversations going on in the same thread, generally only one of which is related to the original topic.. 'tis always educational though.. :D
Mmmh, Jelly Babies! :D