Tax OXP?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ioannis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Tax OXP?

Post by ioannis »

Switeck wrote:
If you scrape the station while docking, I could understand paying a small "docking fee" tax for that.
Much other taxes are best left out. They will likely annoy the vet players and defeat the new players.
True, but since this would be an oxp, it would be added difficulty for those who would like some extra challenge, much like a good number of oxps out there.
There is a good number of players who seem to enjoy enhanced difficulty with regard to combat, I just thought that there might be some merit in adding difficulty in the economics of the game via oxp, contributing to a more "fluid" ooniverse.
There is already the Real Life Economics .oxp here:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11790

I installed it, but haven't noticed much difference yet.
Scratchbuilding miniatures:
http://miniaturesandstuff.wordpress.com/
the picture in my avatar is a Dwarf Berserker.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

For those of you who still think there is no tax... :(

Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
ioannis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by ioannis »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
So you got the bounty of 27 crand payed a tax of 125 cr to governmental taxes? Now that's actually very realistic, hopefully not many Finance Ministers are playing Oolite, because they might get ideas.
Still, though if the notion of taxes exist, perhaps they could be implemented in commodities as well. Here is what happened: I had captured some contraband goods including narcotics and firearms from destroyed pirate vessels, and when I got in the station, I was asked to hand them over. I hadn't checked the prices on the goods, and so I thought that there was a profit to be had from the sale of the contraband. Therefore, I bribed (successfully) the officer, and attempted to sell the contraband. Unfortunately for me, the cost of narcotics was only 1.7 credits, and so I only managed to get my bribery credits back by selling the firearms, without any real profit.
So, the tax could be a sort of game within the game, an extra point of difficulty to either "gamble" and attempt bribery, or play it safe and settle for a smaller profit margin.
As someone suggested earlier, it doesn't have to be defeating for the new player, as Harmless pilots could be "tax free", with an escalating percentage of taxes as the player progresses.

By the way, I bought some Galactic Navy bonds, it didnt sound like a good deal, I mean they mature after too many years, but hey, it was more like donating to the cause and all that. :P
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

ioannis wrote:
I bought some Galactic Navy bonds, it didnt sound like a good deal, I mean they mature after too many years, but hey, it was more like donating to the cause and all that. :P
Psst! A real "supporter of the cause" might want 25 bonds.
ioannis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by ioannis »

SandJ wrote:
ioannis wrote:
I bought some Galactic Navy bonds, it didnt sound like a good deal, I mean they mature after too many years, but hey, it was more like donating to the cause and all that. :P
Psst! A real "supporter of the cause" might want 25 bonds.

That's some expensive patriotism. :D
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

ioannis wrote:
Only patriots get discount on equipment :P
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
ioannis wrote:
Only patriots get discount on equipment :P
Keep in mind that originally the war bonds were intended as a way to waste some excess money. Personally I'm not too happy that (a) there is a limit on the number of bonds you can buy, and (b) there is a financial gain at all in buying them.

But then again, personally I think that the whole Galactic Navy.oxp is just wrong. :?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
personally I think that the whole Galactic Navy.oxp is just wrong.
Ah, so I'm not the only one who thinks that... cool!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

It seems that the Galactic Navy OXP needs ADCK's Behemoths OXP, which is reported broken for Oolite 1.76.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Gimbal Locke wrote:
It seems that the Galactic Navy OXP needs ADCK's Behemoths OXP, which is reported broken for Oolite 1.76.
Aegidian's [wiki]Behemoth[/wiki] OXP also works.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
personally I think that the whole Galactic Navy.oxp is just wrong.
Ah, so I'm not the only one who thinks that... cool!
Hm, I dropped this out of my game about a year ago. Became too dominant, the navy was everywhere and acted more like Police. I eventually decided I didn't like it.
I do like the concept of a Galactic Navy OXP though, but the current one doesn't fit within my game.
So, EV you are not alone by any means.
Annoying thing is, there are a few other OXP's that I would like to use that require Galactic Navy.oxp to be installed.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
Very cool! Another thing that irks me about GN is the bloody sec-com systems plastered all over ClymAngus' otherwise excellent Vector Maps!
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

El Viejo wrote:
Gimi wrote:
Very cool! Another thing that irks me about GN is the bloody sec-com systems plastered all over ClymAngus' otherwise excellent Vector Maps!
Wouldn't it be possible to generate two sets of maps then - one with and one without the SecComs?
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
Gimi wrote:
I can live with that, actually I haven't given it much thought. It would be better if the maps were generic (OXP independent) though. What annoys me with the Sec-com stations is that from a military perspective, I think they are in the wrong places. The military would have a main base, or maybe two pr Galaxy, tucked away in a safe place and outposts in the choke points. They way they are placed now, it feels more like a Galactic Police setup. There is a reason why the UK keep hanging on to Gibraltar and why the US has a base on Crete (and many other places) you know.
This thread is now thoroughly derailed, maybe this part of the discussion should be moved to the Galactic Navy thread or a thread of it's own.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Lestradae wrote:
Wouldn't it be possible to generate two sets of maps then - one with and one without the SecComs?
Hi L... nice idea, but it's beyond my ken, and not worth ClymAngus' time to cater to a personal foible... heh!

Derail a thread about tax, Gimi? Us? Perish the thought! You are entirely correct about the strategic positioning, btw.