Energy bomb [Solved]

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Energy bomb, yes they really did it [Solved]

Post by another_commander »

Cmdr James wrote:
Can anyone explain why this is still an argument, I would have thought having a simple configuration option would make everyone happy, and since that exists....
Quoted for emphasis. Guys, why is this still a problem and causes so much debate? The only difference between now and before is that now the energy bomb is out by default and can be added in by editing a config file, while previously it was in by default and had to be removed by editing a config file. We never explicitly excluded it from anyone's game.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Internal Weapons/Equipment bay.

Post by Gimi »

To take this one a step further.

Would it be of interest within the development team to look at converting the Energy Bomb into an internal equipment/weapons bay triggered by the TAB key.
That would allow those who want the energy bomb to put an energy bomb in there while others, like myself, can stuff in a q-bomb or whatever the OXP-wizards here can come up with.

If this is plausible, feel free to move this to the suggestion box.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Internal Weapons/Equipment bay.

Post by cim »

Gimi wrote:
Would it be of interest within the development team to look at converting the Energy Bomb into an internal equipment/weapons bay triggered by the TAB key.
That would allow those who want the energy bomb to put an energy bomb in there while others, like myself, can stuff in a q-bomb or whatever the OXP-wizards here can come up with.
I wouldn't stick a q-bomb on an internal mount, if I were you :wink:

We already have an internal equipment/weapons key - N and Shift-N. It would be fairly easy for an Energy Bomb OXP to be written that mimicked the existing one in terms of damage, but was on that key instead. Then edit your key map so that the internal equipment trigger is on Tab, and you've got it.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Internal Weapons/Equipment bay.

Post by Gimi »

cim wrote:
Gimi wrote:
I wouldn't stick a q-bomb on an internal mount, if I were you :wink:
We already have an internal equipment/weapons key - N and Shift-N. It would be fairly easy for an Energy Bomb OXP to be written that mimicked the existing one in terms of damage, but was on that key instead. Then edit your key map so that the internal equipment trigger is on Tab, and you've got it.
I'm aware of the -N Shift-N solution to this. I just think its a bit sad to lose the quick deployment of a weapon procedure that the TAB- key gave. With the selectable equipment solution, you first have to make sure that the right equipment is selected.
Anyway, I think it's a good idea, but I fully understand that this is not given any priority. I'll leave it at that. :D
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Energy bomb [Solved]

Post by onno256 »

I must confess I've used the E-bomb occasionally, but like everything even this game evolves...
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Estwing
Poor
Poor

Post by Estwing »

Cmdr James wrote:
I would have thought having a simple configuration option would make everyone happy, and since that exists....
Simple for you, perhaps.
I stopped playing ages ago because now I need to be a programmer to "fix" the game to how it was without added "realism".
Is George Lucas on the dv team or something?....
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Estwing wrote:
Simple for you, perhaps.
I stopped playing ages ago because now I need to be a programmer to "fix" the game to how it was without added "realism".
Sigh... there we go again...

OK, first of all, in my very honest opinion, you do NOT need to be a programmer to use a text editor for the purposes of changing the word "true" to the word "false" in one file.
Second, there is nothing to "fix" in the game, as it works exactly as intended as far as the e-bomb is concerned.
Third, if you really stopped playing ages ago, then you probably have not realized that 1.76 (the latest official version) still has the e-bomb active as it has always been. So feel free to return to the game if you so wish, the bomb is still there and waiting. If it is trunk that you stopped playing with ages ago, then that's fine, because trunk is meant for testing and not for playing.

And, no, George is not in the team, but I wouldn't mind enlisting him if he expresses interest... ;-)
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

another_commander wrote:
Sigh... there we go again...
Well , it _seems_ to be well established now that editing equipment.plist will restore the E-bomb, but it was not always so clear . . . .
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 50#p163543
which was the post that started me up, and follow-ups like this one didn't help either:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 65#p168207
Not trying to pick on anyone here or start a fight, really ;) Just explaining the reason for my concerns (and those of a few others, off-channel).
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Estwing wrote:
Cmdr James wrote:
I would have thought having a simple configuration option would make everyone happy, and since that exists....
Simple for you, perhaps.
Take a look at the [wiki]OXP List[/wiki]. There is an OXP "EnergyBombFor1.77" that restores the energy bomb functionality also in the current test build. And, as another_commander mentioned, the energy bomb works as always in every other release of Oolite up to and including the current 1.76.
Estwing
Poor
Poor

Post by Estwing »

I can't remember what version it was when I stopped playing, it was some time ago. When my mil lasers started overheating in a couple of seconds and running a Falcon became unviable because of excessive maintenance costs. (Nothing to do with this thread, sorry)
I rarely used the energy bomb and probably wouldn't miss it but interfering with it is just "Change for change's sake" IMO.
They might just as well remove Blue Danube whilst they're in there.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Estwing wrote:
and running a Falcon became unviable because of excessive maintenance costs..
At a guess due to it having frangible subents. I'd view that as a bug in the OXP, not a problem in Oolite.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Estwing wrote:
They might just as well remove Blue Danube whilst they're in there.
Heresy! You should be burnt at the stake for even thinking such things :P
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Somebody who flies a Falcon, being a stickler for Elite traditions?

Score one for cognitive dissonance.. :lol:

(All jokes aside, Estwing, I'd be upset if the EB were gone too.. fortunately, it's not gone)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Energy bomb, yes they really did it

Post by CommRLock78 »

another_commander wrote:
m4r35n357: Open equipment.plist, find the bomb entry. You will see:

Code: Select all

(
	7, 9000, "Energy Bomb",
	"EQ_ENERGY_BOMB",
	"A one-shot super-weapon capable of destroying all small craft within range.",
	{
		strict_mode_only = true;
	}
),
Change the line that reads strict_mode_only = true; to strict_mode_only = false; and you get your bomb back.
I would be okay with this as a fix. I love the sound it makes, and it is quite satisfying when you're in a hurry and you don't want to fart around with a half dozen pirates.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Energy bomb, yes they really did it

Post by Fatleaf »

CommRLock78 wrote:
I would be okay with this as a fix. I love the sound it makes, and it is quite satisfying when you're in a hurry and you don't want to fart around with a half dozen pirates.
For me the Ebomb is a Test Pilot only weapon. But I agree with you on the sound it makes. For a laugh swap the file names around so that in the F8 Commodity Market screen, every time you buy something it goes 'BOOM' instead :lol:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"