Battle Damage OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Battle Damage OXP

Post by Commander McLane »

I can see two potential routes to go:
  1. Make the escape pod a lot more expensive, up to a considerable fraction of your ship's price. Then deliver the replacement ship with full working equipment. Drawback: escape pods would become unaffordable especially for beginner pilots, who may need them the most.
  2. Leave the escape pod as it is, but make it clear that the insurance only covers the hull, not the installed equipment. Only a change in the long text in equipment.plist and the documentation is needed. (By the way: the current text reads "purchase includes comprehensive insurance for your ship and systems", which can easily be construed to mean repaired (or working) systems.)
    1. Alternatively, additionally, the damaged equipment could be repaired, but for the usual repair price, which would be automatically taken from the player's credit balance. Some thought would need to be spent on what happens if there is no sufficient balance.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

v1.1 is now available.
This addresses the 'escape pod' problem where if a player ejects from a damaged ship the replacement ship was also damaged. The replacement ship will now be delivered with the hull in good working order.
Thanks to Mauiby for the bug report.
Last edited by Smivs on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Commander McLane wrote:
2. Leave the escape pod as it is, but make it clear that the insurance only covers the hull, not the installed equipment.
I favour this solution with the following extensions:
- covers Lasers, Large Cargo Bay and Passenger Berths also due to these cannot be damaged by enemy fire,
- make buyable a costly insurance which give back all equipments in working state.

I do not want to force money spending to repair equipments, better if the player can spend the money to buy the most important parts.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Regarding this OXP I do not intend to change or alter the core game behaviour. The fix mentioned above is to ensure that the previous (silly) situation whereby the new ship was supplied damaged does not occur.
Battle Damage OXP deals purely with hull damage - equipment damage is a seperate issue and it might be that changes are needed within the core game to address this.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Thank you Smivs, now I understand that I and Commander McLane talking about a new thought which are independent from this OXP. Maybe a separated Insurance OXP (or McLane's auto eject OXP?) can provide a costly "Full Insurance" equipment (with damage_probability=0;) which repair all equipments after punch out.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I'm surprised that this has not come up before actually. The 'sales blurb' for the escape capsule (on the Outfitters screen) states
"A simple emergency capsule with a life-support system, purchase includes comprehensive insurance for your ship and systems."
which does sort of imply that the replacement ship should have the same equipment (in good working order) that the lost ship had.
As I said above, my feeling is that this might require a core-game change.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Smivs wrote:
this might require a core-game change.
It is enough:

Code: Select all

equipment.plist:

(
	( 0, 10000, "Full Insurance", "EQ_FULL_INSURANCE",
	"You will get back all of your equipments in perfect state after ejected with this fully comprehensive insurance.",
	{ available_to_all = true; damage_probability = 0; } )
)

script.js:

this.shipDockedWithStation = function(station) {
	if( this.$player_ejected && player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_FULL_INSURANCE") == "EQUIPMENT_OK") {
		player.consoleMessage("Full Insurance give undamaged equipments into your new ship", 5);
 		var eq = player.ship.equipment;
		for( var i=0; eq[i]; i++ )
			if( eq[i] && player.ship.equipmentStatus(eq[i].equipmentKey) == "EQUIPMENT_DAMAGED")
				player.ship.setEquipmentStatus(eq[i].equipmentKey, "EQUIPMENT_OK");
		player.ship.removeEquipment("EQ_FULL_INSURANCE");
	}
	this.$player_ejected = false;
}

this.shipLaunchedEscapePod = function(escapepod, passengers) {
	this.$player_ejected = true;
}
I tried within my Towbar OXP and is working but I think more logical to put into the Auto Eject OXP.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

As this is a interesting topic (and has nothing to do with this OXP), I have made a post in Suggestion Box to hopefully start a more general debate.
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Bug report: The same "port exhaust around 300m behind the ship" error for the Anaconda previously reported for the Smivs shipset also exists in this OXP (the Smivs replace set).

Line 139 in "shipdata-overrides.plist"

exhaust = ("-13.5 7.26 -843.0 8.0 8.0 8.0", "13.5 7.26 -83.0 8.0 8.0 8.0");
should be

exhaust = ("-13.5 7.26 -83.0 8.0 8.0 8.0", "13.5 7.26 -83.0 8.0 8.0 8.0");
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thanks for the report Ranthe, it looks like it c&p'd over from the shipset before the fix.
I'll get an update out later today. Updated 'forSmivs' version to v1.2 with bugfix. Wiki etc updated.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

A small error has been detected which is causing log errors to show for some players. The affected OXP is BattleDamage for Smivs' v1.2. This is affecting all player ships and is causing the gun subentity to not appear, as well as the log errors.
I will not be fixing this immediately as the issue is a minor one and this OXP (along with many others) is due for an overhaul and update prior to releasing OXZ versions for Oolite v1.80, and the error can be fixed then.
In the meantime, anybody wanting to fix their version should open the shipdata-overrides.plist in any good text editor (usual warning - don't use Notepad) and change all instances of 'smivsgun' to smivs-gun (with a hyphen). A simple 'find and replace' should accomplish this.
Apologies all round :oops:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

The 'universal' edition as now available as an OXZ. The forSmivs' version has not been converted due to the still uncertain future of SmivsShipset.
Grab it via the Expansions Manager, or the wiki.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

That makes 194 OXZs to date.. can we crack 200 before 1.80 is released? Truth is, we don't know!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

....but we can try :D
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
That makes 194 OXZs to date.. can we crack 200 before 1.80 is released? Truth is, we don't know!
As it happens, we do know - and the answer is no!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!