Battle Damage OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Battle Damage OXP

Post by snork »

Smivs wrote:
The repairs are an emergency fix - picture big plates of Duralium hastily welded over the holes to keep the ship structurally sound and airtight where it needs to be. No finishing, no paint...jut a quick patch. So no effect on resale value or routine service intervals (where the job will be done properly).
Why so cheap? Well we are only talking a few hours labour and a few plates of metal!
In an ideal world it probably should be a bit more, but there is also another, more compelling reason for the low-looking cost, but I will come back to that later.
Oh, very cool.

Then I'll probably add this to my Ooniverse, too. Thanks for explaining !

And I do not mind the 18hours repairs time per se (and I should not wonder if players could easily edit-alter this value up or down), I just think players need be made aware of this prior to missing this or that contract. (That's how I originally found out that fitting Military Shields is not a good idea when on tight schedules. :D )

I am all for more immersion, more annoyances, more mondays!
edit : only in games, of course! /edit
But then if you're on a contract you should surely be going out of your way to avoid trouble in the first place and not getting yourself shot to hell, shouldn't you?
Hm, maybe. But that is not always possible.

----------------------------
PS - this sub-levels-of-damage idea from CSOTB seems appetising. More so, if "Level-1-repairs" (or up to level x) could be ignored for the moment with lower chance of subsequent disaster. 8)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Update
Well, despite my intentions to release this yesterday, it is still a WIP :(
The 'problem' is I keep getting ideas to tweak it and make it a little bit better. It's the little details, small in themselves but things which will add a lot to the OXP in terms of immersion and variety. And of course once I finally get them working, they need testing, and it all takes time.
Hopefully I will be happy with this in a few days, so a release early next week is on the cards. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Smivs wrote:
despite my intentions ... still a WIP ... keep getting ideas ... tweak it ... make it a little bit better ... will add a lot ... need testing ... all takes time ... will be happy in a few days ... release early next week ...
(cough) Elite IV (cough)

:wink:

Release early. Release often. Let the users do the testing. It's The New Way™.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

SandJ wrote:
Smivs wrote:
despite my intentions ... still a WIP ... keep getting ideas ... tweak it ... make it a little bit better ... will add a lot ... need testing ... all takes time ... will be happy in a few days ... release early next week ...
(cough) Elite IV (cough)

You might be on to something there :)
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Smivs wrote:
SandJ wrote:
Smivs wrote:
(cough) Elite IV (cough)

Just not with cars. :lol:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Smivs wrote:
SandJ wrote:
Smivs wrote:
(cough) Elite IV (cough)

Hmmm. I thought that was the entire Microsoft business model for the last couple of decades. :roll:
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

:lol:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: [RELEASE] Battle Damage OXP

Post by Smivs »

Roll-up, roll-up, get your battle Damage here :)
Yes, it's finally out and available for download. The first post has been updated and has a download link. Full details of the OXP are here on Smivsonline

A player's Smivs Python heads for the local station under Torus Drive, badly damaged and in need of some urgent repairs.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Battle Damage OXP

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Just had an experience with my test commander in which I ejected via escape pod from a failing ship, and immediately upon loading at the station I was informed of my "badly damaged" ship which and emergency repairs are suggested. This seems like odd behaviour, as I was under the impression that you gain a new ship after you eject, and therefore it should not be carrying the damage that caused you to eject in the first place...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
I was under the impression that you gain a new ship after you eject, and therefore it should not be carrying the damage that caused you to eject in the first place...
After ejecting, you get a replacement ship, with all the damage that your failing ship had. Otherwise, it'd be an easy way to avoid expensive repair costs.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Cody wrote:
After ejecting, you get a replacement ship, with all the damage that your failing ship had. Otherwise, it'd be an easy way to avoid expensive repair costs.
That makes sense! Fair enough!

Although I now have a mental image of a frustrated dockworker climbing around a ship with a hammer whacking the hull and computer systems to break them so that he can then mend them again...
Cody

Post by Cody »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
I now have a mental image of a frustrated dockworker climbing around a ship with a hammer whacking the hull and computer systems to break them so that he can then mend them again...
<grins> You are not alone!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cody wrote:
Mauiby de Fug wrote:
I was under the impression that you gain a new ship after you eject, and therefore it should not be carrying the damage that caused you to eject in the first place...
I see what you mean, but still, why would you get a damaged ship? This doesn't make any sense.
Cody

Post by Cody »

JazHaz wrote:
... why would you get a damaged ship? This doesn't make any sense.
We were discussing this very issue the other day - something to be looked at in the future, perhaps.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ha, yes this could be something that I overlooked when developing Battle Damage OXP.
Life is a bit hectic at the moment but I'll issue an updated version ASAP.