Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

APRIL OXP (Automated Pylon Re-arm In-flight Loader)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: APRIL OXP (Automated Pylon Re-arm In-flight Loader)

Post by Falcon777 »

Unfortunately I'm too much of a computer noob to know what log files and mission variables are. That being said, I have the most recent version of the april oxp and version 1.77.1 of oolite.

Edit1: I also have not reentered that save file since posting on this thread so that whatever log files and mission variables are they would not be changed.
Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Falcon777 »

I was suspicious about something, the possible cause for why the april system was disappearing, and I figured it out. If I fill my ship full of goods, any goods, so that my cargo space is full, and then save the game and close it, when I reopen that save file the april system is gone. There's something about saving the game and closing it with a full cargo hold that is causing the april system to disappear. I hope that information helps... :?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It may well do, as the April does take up cargo space (per past requests from users that it do so to make things more realistic). I'll have a look through the code and see if it's something at the OXP end, but it may be something in the trunk code too which deals with that kind of thing perhaps too (as equipment using/requiring cargo space is a relatively new feature).

It could be some clash somewhere that is throwing the equipment out as you haven't got space for it when you reload the save game. It's something I can test and try to reproduce anyway (one of those odd little scenarios that arise from time to time).

By the way, thanks for the persistence with this and the error reporting. I hope we can track it down, wherever the root cause is...
Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Falcon777 »

No problem. I had noticed the problem was happening every time my Supercobra was full at 45 tc (large cargo bay plus military level april system) and I loaded the game, so I went ahead and tested to see if that was the scenario. If there is something else affecting it apart from just the full cargo hold, I wouldn't know what it is. Hopefully it isn't an interaction with another oxp, though I would doubt it as I don't have any other pieces of equipment that take up cargo space.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK I've done some testing, and I'm now convinced you've found a trunk bug.

My test sequence is as follows:

• I tried your scenario (have APRIL, fully load hold then save and reload) - the APRIL vanishes (confirming your observation and theory).
  • Removed the cargo space requirement from the APRIL and retest - APRIL remains after reload.
  • Set another piece of equipment (retro rockets) to need 5t cargo space and retest with those only - modified RR vanish on reload.
  • Purchase both APRIL and modified RR, save and reload - APRIL remains but RR vanish.
I also note that with APRIL, APRIL expansion and modified RR purchased (5t cargo requirement each), my original 30t cargo hold has only dropped to 25t, not to the expected 15t.

So it looks for me like there's a bug in the 1.77.1 (and maybe 1.79 too) trunk code here dealing with the equipment cargo space requirement feature, coming into play during the reload.

That's one for the dev's to check and confirm. I gave Cim a quick heads-up that this may be upcoming earlier, looks like that might be confirmed.[/color]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thargoid wrote:
it may be something in the trunk code too which deals with that kind of thing perhaps
Thargoid wrote:
OK I've done some testing, and I'm now convinced you've found a trunk bug.
So it looks for me like there's a bug in the 1.77.1 (and maybe 1.79 too) trunk code here
And by "trunk" I presume you mean core, as 1.77 (which Falcon777 is using) doesn't contain any "trunk" code.. :wink: :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Falcon777 »

I'm glad that you managed to narrow down the possibilities, Thargoid.

To be more specific, Diziet, I use 1.77.1. There's probably some differences between the two.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Sorry.. I meant 1.77.1... and there's nothing much really in the way of differences.. 1.77.1 is simply the bugfix version of 1.77. "Trunk" refers to the development branch.. currently 1.79.xxxx.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

From discussions with Cim, I mean both. That area of code wasn't changed much since the equipment/cargo space feature was added, so the issue probably applies to both 1.77.1 and 1.79.x (although I admit I didn't test it in a build of 1.79.x, as I followed Falcon777's original reported set-up).

Basically I mean the glitch is in the game code rather than the OXP one.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The -equipmentValidToAdd method in ShipEntity.m has a series of validation checks for equipment that require various conditions like empty pylon, mounted pylon, clean legal record, full fuel tank etc for the specific case we are not in the process of loading a commander file. Looks like the required cargo space condition is the only one that is not checked against loading and I think giving that check there as well should be enough to solve the problem. At least the APRIL appears now on my list when I load up a commander with a full cargo bay.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Thanks. In your modified build, can you also confirm if having multiple equipment items which all need cargo space correctly deducts the right full total from the hold space? I had that set up yesterday in one of my tests and I think the available cargo space was more than it should have been for the so in question and the equipment installed.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Looks like there were a couple of bugs lurking when equipment with cargo space requirement was present in a(n almost) fully loaded ship. Please check tomorrow's nightly for hopefully working fixes. Refer to commit 22da020473.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

another_commander wrote:
Looks like there were a couple of bugs lurking when equipment with cargo space requirement was present in a(n almost) fully loaded ship. Please check tomorrow's nightly for hopefully working fixes. Refer to commit 22da020473.
Just done a git update and trunk build and it looks good to me. Both the equipment staying on save/load with a full cargo hold, and also multiple items giving correct impact on the available hold space.

Looks like a job done to me, one for 1.77.2 or 1.78 (and of course 1.79) as appropriate?