Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[WIP] Real-life economics OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: [WIP] Real-life economics OXP

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:29 am
Loads of stuff comes up about turrets:
All the reference to "griff_prototype_boa_normalmapped-player" are related to the Griff Prototype Boa, and unrelated to this OXP. They're also warnings, and can be safely ignored.
The references to "gwxturret" and "navystat95" are also not part of this OXP, so again, can be ignored in this context.

So, none of those messages indicate an error with RL Economics, which is good. It's just impossible to tell without a lot more debugging as to whether it's having any impact on prices.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:33 am
There appears to be a series of numbers at the end of the script.js file. Try deleting these numbers and try loading it again.

FWIW, I'm not sure if this will even work in the latest version of Oolite, as it's using out-dated methods to apply market changes.
This fix works on my ever-so-fussy AppleMac. I now see markets on Isinor with 800+ furs and where the prices of the various commodities continually move up and down a little - or a lot - while I'm sitting and ogling my F8 screen.

Quite something.

Phkb: thank you!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Here are a couple of examples for what this OXP does:

See how the values of luxuries, narcotics, alloys & firearms have changed slightly in the 20 seconds between the two screen shots.

(I'm also running SW Economy etc whose new commodities are unaffected by Phasted's oxp, which focuses on the vanilla game commodities)

I've pm'ed Phasted a week and a half ago asking for permission to reinstate his OXP page (he last visited in March). If I don't hear from him in a few more days, I'll do it anyway, and he can always blank it again if the urge strikes!
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

I've taken the liberty of restoring the wiki page for this oxp.

I feel that it is far too important an .oxp to languish in the dust.

I did "pm" him four times over the past 6 months without receiving any response (including one to his second BB identity). I appreciate that he may never have received any of them, or notices of postings on this thread, but he can always blank the wiki page again if he still feels so angry (he blanked it back in 2014).
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Update.

Playing with this on my nit-picking AppleMac.

1) The Local Economic Balance system. This seems not to affect the local economy. The poor agriculturals seem to behave as poor agriculturals no matter how many rich industrials they exists side-by-side with, and the extent to which they are reclassified on the F7 page. And the F7 page does not show the classification all the time, either. I originally thought that you only saw it when you had entered the system, but there is more to it.

2) The real-time fluctuations in the market seem to work fine, and are more pronounced after buying a commodity. But the quantities on the market seem invariant outside of player intervention.

3) While the upper limit on quantities have been removed - see the 800+TC of food in the upper screen shot above - there are limits on selling into the market when it approaches 127 in quantity.

4) The OXP commodities (oxygen, water, quirium fuel, quirium crystals etc.) have not yet been added in.

What are the experiences for Windows/Linux users?
Comments wanted: