[RELEASE] WildShips OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] WildShips OXP

Post by Sendraks »

Well this oxp completely past me by until now. Looks amazing! Will download tonight!
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Sent my updates to Thargoid for inclusion in an update. Here's a few more shots, showing the metallic appearance, the reflection of the solar panels, the emission map of the research station and some bump mapping. Note however that these shots were taken on an Oolite installation with ambient_level = 0.25 (25% of the default setting), so the difference between the light and dark sides of objects is much greater than with the default ambient light level. This improves the appearance (it also makes the emission map for those glowy blue bits more evident).

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Got the files, but I'm away for a few days. I'm aiming to have the update packaged up by next weekend or thereabouts. It does look good though.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

WoW!
This OXP looked amazing to start with (fantastic work Thargoid), but seriously these new textures.............wow. :shock:
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Using Kiota station variants as HIMSN stations.

@Thargoid.
Would you mind if we use modified Kiota stations for HIMSN?
Specifically I would like to use a combination of research and communication as HIMSN outposts.
And small habitat with communication struts outside that on all four pylons as HQ.

If this is OK by you Thargoid, the next question goes to Keeper.

@Keeper
Is this something you could put together in "Imperial white"?

Edit: One more thing. Would it be possible to modify the centre structure with a traditional docking port, but one on each side and labelling them 1 and 2.
When the player approaches he would then be directed to one of the two. (This should be possible in 1.79?)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Re-using them is fine with me. The changing of the centre dock would be very difficult as it would need a re-modelling, which is not something I would want to do as they were specifically designed for that dock look (and they don't look right with a tiny dock, in my opinion).

So if you want to use them without changing the dock, then I grant permission.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Thargoid wrote:
Re-using them is fine with me. The changing of the centre dock would be very difficult as it would need a re-modelling, which is not something I would want to do as they were specifically designed for that dock look (and they don't look right with a tiny dock, in my opinion).

So if you want to use them without changing the dock, then I grant permission.
Thank you very much Thargoid. I hope HIMSN do your stations justice.
Not worried about the dock, it was just an idea but not important.

@Keeper:
Are you familiar with how the Kiota stations are put together? Is this something you could do and give to pleb for incorporation in the OXP?
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Got the files, but I'm away for a few days. I'm aiming to have the update packaged up by next weekend or thereabouts. It does look good though.
I am very much looking forward to this update. :D Excellent work Keeper and Thanks to Thargoid for the oxp .
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Gimi wrote:
Are you familiar with how the Kiota stations are put together? Is this something you could do and give to pleb for incorporation in the OXP?
Like Thargoid said, having each side look different would require a complete re-model. The same bit of texture is applied on both sides, I'm pretty sure.

Painting the things white instead of letting it be metallic is no problem; that's the same as what I've been doing to ships as seen in the HIMSN thread. I'd just need to know which bits you're going to put together so I don't spend time on bits that won't be used. The stations are modular; most of the bits are subentities which you add to the dock.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, to bring this thread back to the main OXP - version 1.07 is now uploaded and available. It adds in the two new ship textures plus the emissions and normal mapping and other graphical tweaks by Keeper.

Download from Box via the links below as normal.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Awesome update, thanks a plenty :D
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Oops! Thargoid missed two textures. The standard Duma texture included was the original without a specular map. Here is the original with specular map (and a metallic front/back piece instead of the weird black & white vertical lines the original had): http://www.keeper1st.com/Oolite/wildShips_duma.png

Also completely left out was the unmodified Chatu texture, i.e. the green one instead of the purple one which is being called "tribal" (it is called for by the shipdata.plist, but the texture is just missing from the ZIP file, so you'll either get errors or the wrong texture loading). Here it is: http://www.keeper1st.com/Oolite/wildShips_chatu.png

Ideally I'm tempted to introduce random colouring for that ship.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The chatu uses the same texture file as the Nyoka, as it's just a rescaled version of it. So you won't get errors, you just won't get the new effects either as the shipdata refers to a png file that doesn't currently exist as you say.

Anyway I'll fix both up and update the OXP in a little while.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, v1.08 uploaded, which adds the Chatu texture (and points the model to it) and also updates the Duma texture to the improved one.