[RELEASE] WildShips OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] WildShips OXP

Post by Shipbuilder »

Thargoid - Just thought that I'd congratulate you on producing some fantastic looking stations I especially like the research stations.

Maybe at some stage if I keep picking up bits of information and giving things a go I can start producing some dockable designs also but at this stage I think I'll concentrate on producing ship designs as it seems a great way to start making oxps and learning how to model, texture and script (The scripting part is wheat I need to work on most).

I may look at designing a dockable ship some time but I have much to learn first still we all have to start somewhere !
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Thank you - I must admit it's my favourite of them too.

Dockables can be very rewarding when they go right, but also very frustrating when they go wrong (when you end up flying through the ship to the dock for example, which is surreal). But there are two ways to do it, the "normal" way (see the trunk stations for examples) and the way I do it in WildShips, Lave Academy and also the HQ station in Aquatics.

They don't have real defined docks, but have an area at their centre which triggers docking if you fly through it. It's a bit quirky, but has the advantage that you can have multiple ways into that area, simulating multiple docks.

At the moment by the "normal" method you can only have one dock (although that may change in the future). There was in the past a very nice model of the Battlestar Galactica about (and also one of the Vipers iirc) which suffered a little bit from that, as of course the ship should have a dock on either side. But I don't think they are supported/maintained/available these days?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, with thanks to Eric & McLane for their suggestions, I've just updated this OXP to v1.05. Changes are:

• Solar station heat insulation is increased.
  • The lifts do now use the callback delta function to keep a constant speed, independent of computer specifications.
  • The lift and missile timers (and the callback) only fire when the player is within scanner range of the station, to save resources.
The upgrade to v1.76.1 should hopefully also help to make things more stable with this OXP (for the CTD issue). Anyone using it with the new Oolite and still seein crashes, please report them here.

Download from Box via the links below as normal.[/color]
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Thargoid wrote:
OK, with thanks to Eric & McLane for their suggestions, I've just updated this OXP to v1.05. Changes are:

• Solar station heat insulation is increased.
  • The lifts do now use the callback delta function to keep a constant speed, independent of computer specifications.
  • The lift and missile timers (and the callback) only fire when the player is within scanner range of the station, to save resources.
The upgrade to v1.76.1 should hopefully also help to make things more stable with this OXP (for the CTD issue). Anyone using it with the new Oolite and still seein crashes, please report them here.[/color]
I have just done a couple of jumps with the new Oolite v1.76.1, including visiting a Kiota Habitat station. I can report that I didn't see any lifts in the station arms, even though I stopped outside the station for a few minutes. No errors in my log (or crashes).
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

JazHaz wrote:
I have just done a couple of jumps with the new Oolite v1.76.1, including visiting a Kiota Habitat station. I can report that I didn't see any lifts in the station arms, even though I stopped outside the station for a few minutes. No errors in my log (or crashes).
Probably just bad luck. The lifts start moving at random. Maybe you just visited a station during coffee break?

On my first visit of the station, I saw the departure of 3 lifts within the first 10 seconds. (two going up and one down)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It's a 1 in 10 chance to begin moving if it's stationary at the end of the arm (either end) to be precise.

As Eric says it's a matter of chance, sometimes they sit idle, others they seem to zoom about like yoyos.
mr_homn
Competent
Competent

Post by mr_homn »

Would it be possible to remove the ships but keep the stations? I'm not looking for more ships, but I love the stations... Could you tell me how to accomplish this in editing the files?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It will be a little complicated as the ships are used as the defense ships for the stations, so it's not just a matter of snipping them out of the OXP.

I'll put together a(nother) shipdata-override.plist file that will remove them when I get chance.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Keep getting these in the latest log. I'm on trunk r5138, so it may well be trunk related.

Code: Select all

17:04:22.144 [ship.setup.docks]: No docks set up for <StationEntity 0x55f872a0>{"Kiota Habitat Station" "Kiota Habitat Station" position: (0, 0, 0) scanClass: CLASS_NOT_SET status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}, making virtual dock
17:04:22.492 [ship.setup.docks]: No docks set up for <StationEntity 0x55f86a98>{"Kiota Relay Station" "Kiota Relay Station" position: (0, 0, 0) scanClass: CLASS_NOT_SET status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}, making virtual dock
17:05:04.359 [ship.setup.docks]: No docks set up for <StationEntity 0x18ab30b0>{"Kiota Mega Habitat Station" "Kiota Mega Habitat Station" position: (0, 0, 0) scanClass: CLASS_NOT_SET status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}, making virtual dock
17:05:04.374 [ship.setup.docks]: No docks set up for <StationEntity 0x18ab38b8>{"Kiota Relay Station" "Kiota Relay Station" position: (0, 0, 0) scanClass: CLASS_NOT_SET status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}, making virtual dock
17:05:04.447 [ship.setup.docks]: No docks set up for <StationEntity 0x18ab40c0>{"Kiota Manufacturing Station" "Kiota Manufacturing Station" position: (0, 0, 0) scanClass: CLASS_NOT_SET status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}, making virtual dock
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yes, that's entirely due to trunk and cim's recent work on multi-docks and the docking mechanism.

I am going to release a version of WildShips (and Aquatics and Lave Academy) which take advantage of it, but only once 1.77 is out as a release version and the code is finalised.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

mr_homn wrote:
Would it be possible to remove the ships but keep the stations? I'm not looking for more ships, but I love the stations... Could you tell me how to accomplish this in editing the files?
OK, download the file linked here, unzip the content and put it into the config folder of the wildships OXP (AddOns/WildShips 1.05.oxp/Config - if you're on a Mac and need help in getting inside the OXP just holler and a Mac guru can help).

Then restart the game with shift held down (to clear the cache and make the game see the new file) and you should then have just the Kiota stations without the OXP ships.
mr_homn
Competent
Competent

Post by mr_homn »

Thargoid wrote:
mr_homn wrote:
OK, download the file linked here, unzip the content and put it into the config folder of the wildships OXP (AddOns/WildShips 1.05.oxp/Config - if you're on a Mac and need help in getting inside the OXP just holler and a Mac guru can help).

Then restart the game with shift held down (to clear the cache and make the game see the new file) and you should then have just the Kiota stations without the OXP ships.

Thanks so much! It's perfect for me now! And you made it so police defend them. Great stuff.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

WildShips v1.06 is now uploaded and available. It needs Oolite 1.77 to run.

This update allows proper multiple docking (a new feature in 1.77) for all versions of the stations except the solar one (no point in launching at the sun!) and also adds tankers which fly between the solar stations and the system main station where both exist.

Download is via the box or wiki links below as normal.
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Normal maps and specular maps are fun!
Shiny! and dishy!

Notice how the dishes are lit all in the same direction. The texture and the specular map is pretty much a flat grey now; it's entirely the normal map that makes it look dish-shaped and react to light as though it is actually a dish. No more drawn-on lighting which looks weird going round and round...

I can send you the files when I'm done with this, Thargoid. I want to make the ships look metallic too...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Sounds (and looks) good to me :twisted: