Randomshipnames.oxp v 1.4 released

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Re: Randomshipnames.oxp v 1.3 released

Post by UK_Eliter »

cim wrote:
Hmm. That's feels like a core bug: the escape sequence adds several hours if not days onto your clock - no way should your old ship still be around after that.
Really? I find that - rather implausibly! - after I've ejected and relaunched, things (ships) are pretty much as they were. But I didn't check the clock . .
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Yes, time-elapsed on the ship-clock after ejecting can vary wildly - from hours to days, as cim said.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

UK_Eliter wrote:
Really? I find that - rather implausibly! - after I've ejected and relaunched, things (ships) are pretty much as they were. But I didn't check the clock . .
There's perhaps a case that if you do something which causes a large amount of accelerated game time to pass - say an hour or more - the game should just clear and repopulate the system. That would break a lot of OXPs, though, so NPCs being implausibly in almost the same place will continue. But we can at least get rid of the really obvious reappearance.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

cim wrote:
But we can at least get rid of the really obvious reappearance.
Yes, we should. To be honest, I have always taken it for granted that the proxy entity would be explicitly removed after the eject sequence. I haven't even spent a single thought on the possibility that it could otherwise.

Also, I have never met my old ship after ejecting. For my test today I ejected a couple of times right in front of the station. On the next launch the proxy ship was always gone. (Also, the clock had advanced by a couple of days.)

Cim, I'd suggest that the sensible thing happens and the proxy ship gets removed automatically on the shipWillDockWithStation after the shipLaunchedEscapePod by the engine.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Commander McLane wrote:
cim wrote:
But we can at least get rid of the really obvious reappearance.
Yes, we should. To be honest, I have always taken it for granted that the proxy entity would be explicitly removed after the eject sequence. I haven't even spent a single thought on the possibility that it could otherwise.
Likewise... Hmm. I can't duplicate this either. Looking at the code, it should normally be removing the ship already, though the way it does so might not be entirely reliable.

UK_Eliter, could you post your Latest.log in the escape pod bug thread please? Ideally from just after an ejection which leaves your old ship around, if this happens regularly.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

cim wrote:
UK_Eliter, could you post your Latest.log in the escape pod bug thread please? Ideally from just after an ejection which leaves your old ship around, if this happens regularly.
My pleasure: please see here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Randomshipnames.oxp v 1.4 released

Version 1.4 is now out and available via [EliteWiki] the Wiki. As discussed one-and-a-half pages ago, it stores the names of Rock Hermit in the save file, so that you'll find the same Rock Hermit whenever you visit a system again. The list gets cleared automatically whenever you leave a chart and move on to the next one.

Note: Rock Hermits are not totally persistent in Oolite 1.77. They get reshuffled after about 90 days. Afterwards you're obviously going to meet new hermits.

This is going to change in Oolite 1.79, where Rock Hermits will be completely persistent. When upgrading to 1.79 after having used randomshipnames v 1.4 in previous Oolite versions, I'd therefore advise you to delete the mission variable that holds the stored names, because they're going to be useless.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks, McLane... all I gotta do now is remember how to remove the ship classes.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Nice!
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Downloaded and installed, Thank you for this brilliant oxp.

P.S.. I hope you don't mind , but I took the liberty of adding Black Bart and William Kydd to the Pirate List of names so that they appear in my Ooniverse.

Thank you again for this oxp.
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Duggan wrote:
Downloaded and installed, Thank you for this brilliant oxp.

P.S.. I hope you don't mind , but I took the liberty of adding Black Bart and William Kydd to the Pirate List of names so that they appear in my Ooniverse.
I don't mind at all. You're free to personalize your copy. :D (I am personalizing a lot of the OXPs that I download myself. :wink: )
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Commander McLane wrote:
You're free to personalize your copy. :D (I am personalizing a lot of the OXPs that I download myself. :wink: )
Speaking of which :wink: I'd like my copy of this oxp to have a dependency on having a bounty scanner equipped.
It would give me another reason to buy the thing in the first place (i.e. the bounty scanner) but also fit with the idea of the scanner granting some access to a ship's registration or similar.

Is there an easy way to do this and, if so, could you please point me in the right direction?
Thanks for such a great oxp :D
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Not sure if this is known bug , but I have arrived at a seedy space bar and recieved this message.
Good day Commander Duggan (autosave). I've learned that the [mission_random_hits_revenge_mark_second_name] Mob intend to blast you out of space. My advice is that you watch your back!.Eliminate the demonic ruffians!
It might be because I have somewhat haphazardly been blasting a mark or two that I have not accepted a contract for, as I am also using the Random hits ship set (Boy oh boy you have to be careful when you write that OXP name) :)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Duggan wrote:
I am also using the Random hits ship set (Boy oh boy you have to be careful when you write that OXP name) :)
And, indeed, into what thread you post queries about it ... :)
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Where is the red faced embarrassed emoticon. OK I'll give you that but in my defence , I am at a funny age, I have been since about 1963 as it happens , please accept my Apologies , I shall re post this query in the correct Random Hats Shop Set thread. :D
Last edited by Duggan on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.