Problem Povray Planets

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Problem Povray Planets

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
The string from which name characters are chosen doesn't include F, H, J, K, P, W or Y,
Yeah, a shame that. I reckon there'd be some great system names generated if they had been included.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Ok as noted in the general Povray Planets Thread I checked all 256 planets with the Famous Planets Included ( I have a combined set I believe it was the bundled version I downloaded from your sets (if this is not the case then let me know).

List of problem planets Galaxy 2 (famous planets excluded as the description already matches
All 256 planets checked:

Gas Giants:
As noted in the general Povray Thread. Please try to limit Gas Giants to 3 max per galaxy. In this way the Gas Giants become a seldom but rewarding goal to fly to. And I can then make up some story to justify the planet. I believe Gas Giants as a main planet are possible in the Oonivers (read the story about Zarece in Galaxy 1) but they are quite rare. The Gas Giants that are inhabited use Cloud cities, Cloud farms etc and they where mostly populated by conolists when their Generation Ship arrived. I believe that a Generation Ship should have some tools to conolize worlds when they arrive (hence the ship is 30 km long) so they could construct a floating habitat.

The list:

Inisza - Desert texture while the text says that it's fabled for it's unusual oceans
Berien- Desert texture while text says pink oceans
Usceed- Gas giant when there are lobstoids (better choose a sea like planet with islands for this)
Aratusza - Ocean planet with no island while it's famous for its ancient mountains
Qedle - dead planet (desert) while it's famous for treeroids
Zaesre - Gas giant while famous for it's deadly earthquakes (better make it a mountain world)
Beraer - Desert texture while famous for its dense for tests
Aleri - Gas giant while famous for its deadly tree snakes5
Atragrees- Ocean planets with not islands while famous for its great tropical forests
Xeraqu- * faults in texture with visible seams* (this was to be a fp but you can put a texture of yours for this one)
Israza- Gas Giant while famous for tree snakes
Edtieen - Gas Giant while famous for tree snakes
Ramaza - Gas Giant while famous for its frequent earthquakes (change to mountain planet)
Atusis - Desers like planet while famous for deadly tree wolfs
Ramaan - Great texture BTW but desert while the planet is famous for evil tree wolfs
Onmate - Gas giant while a spotted wolf is mentioned
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Sorry to bump. @ Sumbersible. Is this list useful?
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

pagroove wrote:
Sure is - would you call it an exhaustive list?
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

submersible wrote:
pagroove wrote:
Sure is - would you call it an exhaustive list?
Well for Galaxy 2 this are certainly the most 'visible' wrong plants. Wouldn't call it exhaustive and some planets I looked at are open for debate. For Example I looked at a planet which first looked like a rocky surface but when I looked better I actually also saw oceans. (In the text it said it was known for unusual oceans) so I didn't report that one.
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Starting to sort this out now that the remaining galaxies are released.

Compiling list for Galaxy 2.
  • Inisza - Desert texture while the text says that it's fabled for it's unusual oceans
  • Berien- Desert texture while text says pink oceans
  • Usceed- Gas giant when there are lobstoids (better choose a sea like planet with islands for this)
  • Aratusza - Ocean planet with no island while it's famous for its ancient mountains
  • Qedle - dead planet (desert) while it's famous for treeroids
  • Zaesre - Gas giant while famous for it's deadly earthquakes (better make it a mountain world)
  • Beraer - Desert texture while famous for its dense for tests
  • Aleri - Gas giant while famous for its deadly tree snakes5
  • Atragrees- Ocean planets with not islands while famous for its great tropical forests
  • Xeraqu- * faults in texture with visible seams* (this was to be a fp but you can put a texture of yours for this one)
  • Israza- Gas Giant while famous for tree snakes
  • Edtieen - Gas Giant while famous for tree snakes
  • Ramaza - Gas Giant while famous for its frequent earthquakes (change to mountain planet)
  • Atusis - Desers like planet while famous for deadly tree wolfs
  • Ramaan - Great texture BTW but desert while the planet is famous for evil tree wolfs
  • Onmate - Gas giant while a spotted wolf is mentioned
  • Inzaquma - rendering glitch, two stitched sides from a different render.
More
  • Ausis - deadly tree ants
  • Tiises - vast rain forests
  • Biabite - tree snake
  • Lainor - pink oceans
  • Inoran - talking treeoid
  • Argezabe - ancient mountains , earthquakes
  • Quinri - tree grubs
  • Gexein - frogs (but GG)
  • Zaragete - unusual oceans
  • SWAP Latibi => Lasoan
  • Usceed - lobstoids/pink plantations (GG)
  • Levera - dense forests
  • Aratusza - ancient mountains
  • Riedin - unusual tropical forests
  • Qualema - unusual tropical forests
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Can I draw your attention to this issue?

Subject: Planetinfo.plist on the wiki
Wildeblood wrote:
Texture HSB Color

This changes the overall hue of the replacement texture.
Example:
"texture_hsb_color" = "0.0..1.0 0.0..1.0 0.0..1.0";
Some of my coloured suns are spoiling the appearance of the nifty Povray Planets textures with a strong colour cast, particularly the red and magenta ones, which are half of all. I assume this setting exists to counter-act this problem? But I have no idea how HSB colours are defined.

1. Can someone inform me of the appropriate values, or how to calculate them, to get the texture half-way back to white, from its too red cast to a slightly red cast?

2. If I set this property and someone uses it without textured planets, will Bad Things happen?
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Wildeblood wrote:
Can I draw your attention to this issue?

Subject: Planetinfo.plist on the wiki
I am familiar with the setting, though have never used it. Does it even work with textured planets? HSB is Hue,Saturation,Brightness. you could test the effect by setting 1.0 0.5 1.0 which (I think) will give you a desaturated greyer planet of the same brightness as usual. The Hue component is used to shift colours around the spectrum, don't quote me - but i think 0.5 1.0 1.0 would move red toward green, blue toward indigo. If you've ever experienced NTSC television , it's like the colour phase dial.

EDIT - tried it with trunk , no joy - perhaps it will work on the dynamic generated textures. Does not apply to a static texture.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Oh it works alright, or I wouldn't waste your time asking about it. The problem is I don't know how it works. That is, I can change it, and see its effect, but I can't predict its effect from the numbers. I don't really fancy working through 2048 systems, spending an hour adjusting each by trial and error.

I don't know why it didn't work for you with trunk, it works in 1.76.1. I'll be back later with some screenshots....

Hmm, S.info.sun_color = "redColor" & S.info.texture_hsb_color = "0.5 0.15 1.0" looks about right, to my eyes, on my monitor, under my disgusting CFL lights...
Last edited by Wildeblood on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Wildeblood wrote:
Oh it works alright, or I wouldn't waste your time asking about it. The problem is I don't know how it works. That is, I can change it, and see its effect, but I can't predict its effect from the numbers. I don't really fancy working through 2048 systems, spending an hour adjusting each by trial and error.

I don't know why it didn't work for you with trunk, it works in 1.76.1. I'll be back later with some screenshots....
Ok let me know galaxy and planet if possible so I can compare apples w/ apples. In theory you can load the texture in GIMP and simulate with the Colors->Hue-Saturation dialogue. It's ranged differently - 8bit rather than floats, but gives the idea. Remember though that shifting one colour toward the one you expect will result in shifting others by the same degree. If it works , probably what you want to play with is just saturation and brightness. I'll wait for the screenshots.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Okies, check this out. This is Lave with a plain white texture applied.

Starting with sun_color = "whiteColor"

Changing to sun_color = "redColor"

Changing to texture_hsb_color = "0.5 0.15 1.0"

Changing back to sun_color = "whiteColor", leaving texture_hsb_color = "0.5 0.15 1.0" in place.

You can see the strong red cast that changing the sun colour gives to the planet texture. It's not so noticeable with the rocky textures, but it spoils the ocean textures. I'm fairly happy with the compensation I've chosen for red, but it's just some numbers arrived at by trial and error, not derived by any theory, which makes me sad. :lol:
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

submersible wrote:
Starting to sort this out now that the remaining galaxies are released.

Compiling list for Galaxy 2.
  • Inisza - Desert texture while the text says that it's fabled for it's unusual oceans
  • Berien- Desert texture while text says pink oceans
  • Usceed- Gas giant when there are lobstoids (better choose a sea like planet with islands for this)
  • Aratusza - Ocean planet with no island while it's famous for its ancient mountains
  • Qedle - dead planet (desert) while it's famous for treeroids
  • Zaesre - Gas giant while famous for it's deadly earthquakes (better make it a mountain world)
  • Beraer - Desert texture while famous for its dense for tests
  • Aleri - Gas giant while famous for its deadly tree snakes5
  • Atragrees- Ocean planets with not islands while famous for its great tropical forests
  • Xeraqu- * faults in texture with visible seams* (this was to be a fp but you can put a texture of yours for this one)
  • Israza- Gas Giant while famous for tree snakes
  • Edtieen - Gas Giant while famous for tree snakes
  • Ramaza - Gas Giant while famous for its frequent earthquakes (change to mountain planet)
  • Atusis - Desers like planet while famous for deadly tree wolfs
  • Ramaan - Great texture BTW but desert while the planet is famous for evil tree wolfs
  • Onmate - Gas giant while a spotted wolf is mentioned
  • Inzaquma - rendering glitch, two stitched sides from a different render.
More
  • Ausis - deadly tree ants
  • Tiises - vast rain forests
  • Biabite - tree snake
  • Lainor - pink oceans
  • Inoran - talking treeoid
  • Argezabe - ancient mountains , earthquakes
  • Quinri - tree grubs
  • Gexein - frogs (but GG)
  • Zaragete - unusual oceans
  • SWAP Latibi => Lasoan
  • Usceed - lobstoids/pink plantations (GG)
  • Levera - dense forests
  • Aratusza - ancient mountains
  • Riedin - unusual tropical forests
  • Qualema - unusual tropical forests
I'm glad that this is being discussed, since I'm not a fan of these mis-matching descriptions, and brings me to my suggestions which have been building for the past couple weeks since installing POVray Planets:
  • I totally agree with Pagroove that habited gas giants should be a rare find - three or so per galaxy.
  • It seems that there are too many desert worlds (not to mention desert worlds with mis-matched descriptions).
Now that I'm making those suggestions, I would also like to say that I miss having moons and multiple planets in systems. Since I'm doing this now, I haven't had a chance to look at some code (namely DS system redux) to see how hard it would be to dovetail some additional planets and moons in each system via another OXP. What are your thoughts on moons/additional planets Submersible? Is it something you've considered or are working on? I don't want to step on toes, but this could be a good place for me to start OXPing.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Plus there's also the old question of gas giants as main planets anyway. The system station is supposed to be in orbit around the main planet of the system, but gas giants by nature can't be directly inhabited (due to lacking any kind of surface) and so it makes having them as main planets rather a nonsense.

If Povray does do that kind of gas giant, then will there be any simple way to detect it (by the texture used, or ideally one of the gas giant OXP flags being set) so things like Planetfall can identify it so you don't get the silly situation of landing on one.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Thargoid wrote:
Plus there's also the old question of gas giants as main planets anyway. The system station is supposed to be in orbit around the main planet of the system, but gas giants by nature can't be directly inhabited (due to lacking any kind of surface) and so it makes having them as main planets rather a nonsense.

I tend to agree, but, as Pagroove said, perhaps there could be the occasional gas giant with floating cities and farms.

Thargoid wrote:
If Povray does do that kind of gas giant, then will there be any simple way to detect it (by the texture used, or ideally one of the gas giant OXP flags being set) so things like Planetfall can identify it so you don't get the silly situation of landing on one.
I forgot to mention that point in my last post - I went to test DS Gas Giant Skimming with POVray Planets and wound up nearly landing on the planet :mrgreen:
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

If either isGasGiant or solarGasGiant are set to true for the planet entity, then PF will not try and land on it (detailed here on the wiki). But it needs to be set, ideally by the OXP which makes the planet a gas giant, but if there is some way to distinguish them then I can also put it into the PF script. But doing it at source is of course much preferred (and should be simpler).

You will get a warning though that you are trying to land on a gas giant - if that isn't wanted then just set PFNoLandQuiet to true instead. Then the planet effectively is completely and silently ignored by PF. Any landing attempt there will just result in the same splat that would occur if PF wasn't installed at all.