Problem Povray Planets

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Problem Povray Planets

Post by submersible »

Greyth wrote:
Sometimes I get different textures... just before I rammed another ship (trying to beat him to a cargo pod) and died Esesla was showing a desert texture, now it's completely different...
Well I must have collided a dozen times yesterday and still am unable to reproduce this effect. If you see it again could you try to grab the Latest.log so I can have a look.

I will keep testing.
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Sure submersible, wish I'd thought of that when it happened :roll: Please don't expend your time, I've got plenty to waste! I'll try an earlier save and see if it happens again.
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

I looked in the FP textures folder (I remembered to be empirical!) and there it is. The texture for Esesla from FP is what I saw after reloading a save. Prior to reloading it looked like a desert. Wish I'd thought of that at the time. I also found a folder called OriConfig and I may have misapplied the 2.5.1 update to FP - possibly that is what caused it to misbehave?
Oolite 1.76
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Again, with a bit of regex matching to remove the prefix, this data (and anything else that can be accessed/calculated from script) can be written into whichever format is necessary, potentially more quickly than processing the data on the wiki page, as I can determine how I want the output to be printed.
Inspired by this idea - I've managed to put together a galaxy info dumper with JSON output.

Code: Select all

this.name = 'Galaxy info dumper';

this.startUp = function() {
  for(var i=0 ; i < 256 ; i++ ) {
    var DumpSystem = System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, i)
    DumpSystem.galnum = galaxyNumber;
    DumpSystem.planetnum = i;
    DumpSystem.coord = DumpSystem.coordinates;
    log( this.name , JSON.stringify( DumpSystem ) );
  }

}
A quick visit to each galaxy and I should have the whole lot sitting in the log as json parsable entries. Following this, I've started building a sqlite database of planets and their various 'vanilla' properties as a base for a website and further texture generation.
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Galaxy1, Geerra. Gas giant - average agricultural
Oolite 1.76
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Problem Povray Planets - Galaxy 1

Post by submersible »

Compiled list for galaxy 1
Edit, strikeout for planets provided by FP2. Will be merged in next release.
  • Ribilebi - Gas -
  • Geerra - Gas - average agricultural
  • Teaatis, Looks like gas giant or possibly a frozen planet but is an average agricultural.
  • Legees, Desert texture but is rich agricultural
  • Laeden, Desert texture but is average agricultural
  • Ceinzala. Gas giant but is mainly agricultural.
  • Arusqudi. Gas giant but is average agricultural.
  • Rebia. Gas giant but is rich agricultural
  • Riiser. Gas giant but is poor industrial
  • Zarece. Gas giant, poor agricultural
  • Rilace. Gas giant, rich agricultural (rich and fertile due to terraforming)
  • Ontimaxe. Mainly agricultural but looks muddy brown. When I hyperspaced there... the texture seems to have changed? Now it looks a bit like Europa
  • Ontiat. Desert texture but is average agricultural
  • Esesla. Desert texture but is average agricultural
  • Encereso (Gas giant) is cursed by dreadful civil war.Rich Agricultural
  • Eszaraxe (Gas giant) Poor Agricultural
  • Learorce (Gas giant) is reasonably notable for its great dense forests
  • Regeatge (Gas giant) is reasonably well known for its great dense forests
  • Rigeti (Gas giant) - poor agricultural
  • Usatqura (Gas giant) - poor agricultural
  • Anxebiza. Desert planet but is rich agricultural
  • Ribiso. Desert - average agricultural
Last edited by submersible on Tue May 01, 2012 1:58 am, edited 8 times in total.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Problem Povray Planets - Galaxy 1

Post by cim »

submersible wrote:
Compiled list for galaxy 1
Certainly the gas giant texture is a bit too common (pretty as they are). I agree with pagroove that 2-3 per galaxy is probably enough. If you want an algorithm for that, then {planetary radius} >= 6870km gives 3,2,2,3,1,3,1,1 for each chart respectively, and has the nice side effect that the gas giants are actually physically bigger than the other planets. (I wouldn't then worry about the agri/ind characteristics if they're that rare - Famous Planets can spin some interesting story about cloud-based vegetables, or radioactive gas collection, or something)
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Galaxy1, Anxebiza. Desert planet but is rich agricultural
Gal1, Ribiso. Desert - average agricultural
Last edited by Greyth on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oolite 1.76
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

This process of using keywords in the system description to choose the right set of planet textures to pick from has already been done in Cmd. Cheyd's Deep Horizons-Systems. The code is there for anyone to see, so I don't think that you need to reinvent the wheel. It has a non-derivative license so I suggest someone contact him if you want to reuse to the code. BTW there was nothing wrong with DH-systems all it needed was more textures and it is designed so that it can be used by others OXPers.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

PhantorGorth wrote:
This process of using keywords in the system description to choose the right set of planet textures to pick from has already been done in Cmd. Cheyd's Deep Horizons-Systems. The code is there for anyone to see, so I don't think that you need to reinvent the wheel. It has a non-derivative license so I suggest someone contact him if you want to reuse to the code.
DH is making runtime decisions about main planet texture, based on economy / techlevel / saved info , it chooses from a collection of available textures. Povray Planets provides an entire galaxy of textures, a unique texture per planet. They're different wheels. Since PP is choosing the type of planet to generate during OXP production, prior to packaging and distribution - not during game runtime - it makes sense to perform similar behaviour based on keywords - only much earlier.
PhantorGorth wrote:
BTW there was nothing wrong with DH-systems all it needed was more textures and it is designed so that it can be used by others OXPers.
FYI - the only obviously wrong things I see with DH
  • An API without documentation
  • The pedantry of its advocates
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Two of the faces on Inzaquma (Gal 2) don't seem to match the rest of the planet. Four are continental in fairly subdued colours; the other two are islands in brighter colours.
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

cim wrote:
Two of the faces on Inzaquma (Gal 2) don't seem to match the rest of the planet. Four are continental in fairly subdued colours; the other two are islands in brighter colours.
Confirmed - thanks , that's certainly a rendering bug.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Interestingly, if you have a look at Oolite's default descriptions.plist, there are various potential natural features that just don't show up in game. For example, there are no "dust clouds" or "ice bergs" (which should be one word, not two, but as it doesn't actually appear in-game I'm not too fussed), and the oceans could theoretically be "funny", "weird", "strange", "peculiar", "ancient" and "great" as well. I'm also not aware of any "exuberant" forests".
Yes, I never realised before that the 'random' selection is so strong biassed. It is even skipping any icy stuff at two places:

(
			"ice",
			"mud",
			"Zero-G",
			"vacuum",
			"%I ultra"
		),
and

(
			"parking meters",
			"dust clouds",
			"ice bergs",
			"rock formations",
			"volcanoes"
		),
But, as it mimics the original elite, it must have happened there also :P
I was thinking that planets with a lot of 'ice' in the description must have textures with big icy poles, but those ice bergs are never mentioned...
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

There's all sorts of oddities in the random seed. I don't think there's a single system whose name begins with "P" ...
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Disembodied wrote:
There's all sorts of oddities in the random seed. I don't think there's a single system whose name begins with "P" ...
The string from which name characters are chosen doesn't include F, H, J, K, P, W or Y, so that particular one isn't down to the random seeding. There are also none beginning with N because it never starts a digram.
Eric Walch wrote:
"ice", "mud", "Zero-G", "vacuum", "%I ultra"
The "%I ultra" never gets used in that either, and as a result "polo" never comes up as a possible sport.

Looking at the relationship between the adjective and the sport - which gives an idea of just how bad the RNG is - there would only be "ice tennis" and "ice polo", and "ultra polo" and "ultra karate", if they did exist.