Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Smivs'Shipset v4.x

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: [UPDATE RELEASE] Smivs'Shipset v4.2.

Post by Smivs »

Cody wrote:
Smivs wrote:
I don't normally run trunk...
You really should, you know.
You're probably right - I guess I'm too busy with other things and don't need additional complications!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

BuggyBY wrote:
Haven't installed the update yet, but I noticed in v4.1.4 that while I have an unobstructed rear view in my Boa 2 using Oolite v1.77, in trunk (build 5674) the protruding exhaust parts block the lower corners of the screen. Not sure if that sort of thing will be an issue in the next stable version, but I figure pointing it out won't do any harm.
I solved that scene on my ships in the last year, or so, by making the aft_view_position about ten meters above the ship, and the distance twice that of the farthest aft projection of the ship. None of my ships show anything but what's behind them now. :)
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

mandoman wrote:
...the aft_view_position about ten meters above the ship, and the distance twice that of the farthest aft projection of the ship.
The only thing to consider here is the effect it will have on aiming the aft gun. If the gun is more or less on the 'z' axis and the view is 10m above the ship this will mean you are 'aiming high' particularly on a 'tall' ship. Moving the position backwards alone is probably a better solution.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

I have not found that to be true. Whether I'm targeting from the front exterior view, or the aft_view_position, the cross hairs are more than able to settle onto the target for which I'm firing. I use to set just the distance, but from the view of the cockpit level, I always got some, if not a lot of exhaust plume in the scene. It clutters the aim. By raising the view to above the ship, nothing is in the way of aiming at a target. Those are just my observations, however, and I realize that maybe not everyone would see it so.
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

That's interesting.
I would expect to see some exhaust in the rear view, but not that it would obscure the view in any meaningful way. The 'normal' view position would be slightly above the gun position so you are not looking down the beam, but I'd never considered setting it quite high.
When I get a minute I'll play around with a few and see what happens :)