Storm Shipyards

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Storm Shipyards

Post by Commander McLane »

Storm wrote:
Think that leaves me with just the Anaconda and the two Boa's for the Standard ships. :)
Don't forget the non-ships, like missiles, cargopod, buoys, and alloys. :D
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Very nice Storm. I look forward to your textured versions. With some nice normals I will end up with a Stormy Griffified Ooniverse. :D
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Azathoth wrote:
That reminds me of when I lived in Hong Kong. If you bought a local paper and went to the used car section, it was full of hundreds of Mercedes Benz. Almost no other cars at all. Very strange.
Is that back before we (the UK) handed Hong Kong back to China? In those last few years, the highest concentration of Beemers, Mercs, Jags & Rollers in the world was on the coast of China facing Hong Kong. Meanwhile the highest rate of car theft in the world was in Hong Kong.

I read the thieves used to tow the stolen luxury cars in huge watertight bags under speedboats from HK to China.

I recall it was the Triads trying to strip HK of its wealth before the capitalists departed and the communists could take what was left.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Azathoth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Azathoth »

Yeh, it was mid '90s. I was kicked out 2 weeks before the handover.

Not sure what you mean by "mainland". The mainland across from Hong Kong Island is Kowloon, also part of the territory. The island was only a small part of the colony.

Regarding the lux car thing, I don't know anything about stolen cars. I always put it down to the concept of face in Asia. No Asian buisnessman would be seen dead in a Ford Focus.

The triads have been glamourised in the movies. Sure Hong Kong has its share of crooks. But the "triads" I had to deal with were little more than teenage thugs. The type of person you might meet on any street corner late at night in the UK.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Azathoth wrote:
Not sure what you mean by "mainland". The mainland across from Hong Kong Island is Kowloon, also part of the territory...

Regarding the lux car thing, I don't know anything about stolen cars...

The triads have been glamourised in the movies...
You surely can't mean what I read in a great British Sunday paper was a load of old cobblers? :oops:
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

SandJ wrote:
You surely can't mean what I read in a great British Sunday paper was a load of old cobblers? :oops:
<Smivs chuckles>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Anaconda...

Boa...

Boa Mk II...

and done!
Commander McLane wrote:
Don't forget the non-ships, like missiles, cargopod, buoys, and alloys. :D
... well, nearly done I guess :P
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

The Wolf Mk II - I played the Amiga version for a long time, after my dad sold his beeb and I never managed to reach Elite in that version, I did finally get there on the Amiga :) so figured this ship should accordingly be part of my core line up...

Navigation Buoy...

the well known Coriolis and Dodo stations....

and a couple of new stations on the drawing board, the Decahedron - or the 'd10' (shorthand for ten-sided dice) as it has been dubbed by the architects involved in its design, due to its similarity in shape to the die used in Zaonce Craps...

and a Solar Harvester...

finally a quick pic for size comparison of the stations...

... the d10 being pretty huge, though the standard docking port size kind of limited me on its scaling heh. Probably only get to see those in a few hi-tech systems.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

They're fantastic - well done.

Why are you limited by standard docking slot size on the D10? Docking port can be any size - Look at the Torus station for example.

BTW, we're looking for somebody to build the Tionisla Chronicle Array - a bit like "The Wave" in Firefly/Serenity - you seem like the ideal candidate!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Thanks DaddyHoggy. True, could scale the d10 by making the docking port smaller.

Any pictures you can link for 'The Wave'? Searched on Google to no avail.

Another new ship, the Manta Ray - an amphibious space vessel like the Moray, designed for traders...

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

There's already a [EliteWiki] Manta Ray in [EliteWiki] Aquatics OXP.

Nice design though.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Storm wrote:
Thanks DaddyHoggy. True, could scale the d10 by making the docking port smaller.

Any pictures you can link for 'The Wave'? Searched on Google to no avail.

Another new ship, the Manta Ray - an amphibious space vessel like the Moray, designed for traders...

Great one! Could also be a Sting Ray to differentiate it from the Manta Ray which Thargoid linked to.
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Oops. Saw there was already a Stingray, a Manta and a Ray... didn't check Manta Ray though, sorry Thargoid!

Perhaps Manta Star Boat, as I was imagining it also produced by Marine Trench Co. like the Moray?
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

There are quite a few Ray names to choose from. [Wikipedia] Batoidea. I personally like Eagle Ray.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Shame it's a trader, not a fighter, 'cos then it could be the Death Ray :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.