Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

"Laserover-Laserover-Laser overheating" and other sound woes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

BuggyBY
Dangerous
Dangerous

"Laserover-Laserover-Laser overheating" and other sound woes

Post by BuggyBY »

Hello,

Having recently downloaded Halsis.oxp, whose lovely robot voice I greatly appreciate, I was wondering if it is possible to avoid triggering the same sound file several times in quick succession. As I tend to redline my military laser when firing on pirates and then just keep the fire button pressed while it's in pulse mode, the staccato of "Laser over-laser over-laser overheating" emitted by my lovely robotic assistant can get on my nerves at times. Could this be amended somehow?

Another minor nitpick is the message "Jump drive inoperative. Powered ships within range." I often go sun-skimming or get too close to planets, and this message triggers when I am mass-locked by nothing but these celestial bodies. A more accurate message I would like to hear would be along the lines of "Jump drive inoperative. Massive object within range."

Oh, and while I'm on the subject of sun-skimming: When headed away from the sun with a full tank and waiting to escape mass lock, I often get bored and switch to a different window. It would be nice if there were an additional sound informing me when I am no longer mass-locked. Is this a possible option for a future release?
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: "Laserover-Laserover-Laser overheating" and other sound

Post by Greyth »

I didn't know there were downloadable voices! Is there... a Sigourney Weaver? :twisted: [shiver]
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Have you tried switching on the built-in female voice? Game Options -> Spoken Messages: On and Voice: Female. Maybe not as warm as Hal's sister or other voice packs, but has the characteristic of speaking all messages as they appear on screen.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Greyth wrote:
I didn't know there were downloadable voices! Is there... a Sigourney Weaver? :twisted: [shiver]
No Sigourney Weaver, but take a look at the Ambience OXPs in the [wiki]OXP List[/wiki].
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Greyth wrote:
<Smivs ponders whether there would be a demand for a nagging Mother-in-Law back seat driver OXP>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

"Laserover-Laserover-Laser overheating" is a problem with most of the sound packs. I use BGS and the effect is present.
BuggyBY
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BuggyBY »

Zireael wrote:
"Laserover-Laserover-Laser overheating" is a problem with most of the sound packs. I use BGS and the effect is present.
So is this a problem that could be fixed with clever scripting, or is there no way for the OXP to monitor the duration between triggers?
Last edited by BuggyBY on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Hej BuggyBY, welcome.
BuggyBY wrote:
Oh, and while I'm on the subject of sun-skimming: When headed away from the sun with a full tank and waiting to escape mass lock, I often get bored and switch to a different window. It would be nice if there were an additional sound informing me when I am no longer mass-locked. Is this a possible option for a future release?
Usually you just need to look at your status indicator - green is needed to Torus-drive.
This is also useful when in zoomed scanner mode.

This does not work when status is red for other reasons, like cabin temperature. Then you need to just try the button repeatedly until it works.
(I just had this yesterday, trying to get rid of something.)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

snork wrote:
This does not work when status is red for other reasons, like cabin temperature. Then you need to just try the button repeatedly until it works.
(I just had this yesterday, trying to get rid of something.)
Need some BBQ sauce? :wink:
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Smivs wrote:
<Smivs ponders whether there would be a demand for a nagging Mother-in-Law back seat driver OXP>
That could be soooo funny! :lol:

Make them like trumbles, they multiply and so does the nagging until a really large fee is required to remove them. :P

http://youtu.be/Ag1EbxYKh_4

LMAOHTF :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great idea Smivs! :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

It is indeed a bit poor sometimes. I mean, in the case of the laser, just stop firing. But when I'm scooping and I'm hearing "scoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoop active" every time, I'm thinking about just deleting the specific sound :(
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Corny wrote:
It is indeed a bit poor sometimes. I mean, in the case of the laser, just stop firing. But when I'm scooping and I'm hearing "scoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoop active" every time, I'm thinking about just deleting the specific sound :(
In this case adjusting the scoop_position in your shipdata may help. Some ships have no scoop position defined, in which case it defaults to the ship's origin. This is for most ships an awkward position, leading to long and fruitless action when trying to scoop something. According to Eric's trials a position under the ship and towards its rear end works best for smooth scooping (see the example in the documentation: negative y- and z-coordinates).

For the original shipset Eric has found good positions and released them as Scoop Positions.oxp, although I can't find it in the OXP list. His positions are quite different from the ones in Oolite's shipdata.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
According to Eric's trials a position under the ship and towards its rear end works best for smooth scooping (see the example in the documentation: negative y- and z-coordinates).
You only can get an 'instant scoop' when the 'scoop_position' goes through the container when flying over it. With the 'scoop_position' in the ships centre this is very hard to achieve. With the position a bit lower, scooping in one-go becomes a bit easier. But to low is also bad.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I took too long to edit my above post.

@ Eric: What about your Scoop Positions.oxp? I can't find it in the OXP list, and its positions are quite different from the ones in Oolite's shipdata.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Corny wrote:
See http://developer.berlios.de/feature/?fu ... up_id=3577.