Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

RELEASED Griff's No Shaders ShipSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Griff No Shaders Shipset Preview

Post by Okti »

CaptSolo wrote:
I love British humour!.... I was also immersed in completing Coyote's Run for the second time. That damn Katik asteroid part takes time.
Well definately British humour in that mission. And I added some BBQ culture as well. :lol:

Glad you enjoyed the mission.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Okti wrote:
Glad you enjoyed the mission.
Yes... good job well done, Okti

Regarding the ship set, made good progress today. Added demoships, shipdata, and shipyard plists to the non-override config folder and tested for errors. Just need to finish documentation and wiki page.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

CaptSolo wrote:
Here is the Gallery page after several hours taking screen captures in-game. Quite happy with some results but others not so much. Critique is welcome.

[EliteWiki] Griffs No Shaders Shipset
Ooh, that's cracking is that. BTW, I have moved it to Griff's No Shaders Shipset because I'm like that. (Redirect is in place; there were no incoming links.)

Is there a plain English glossary somewhere that explains "normal mapping" and "shader" and so on, but in a way that a simple numpty like me can understand? What should I see differently having installed when Latest.log says "Shaders are supported"? The following completely does my head in:
ships which use normalmapping and shader effects to produce some of the best looking ships. They render as intended on hardware that supports full shader capabilities. This OXP was a project to bring Griff's ship set into a shaderless Ooniverse.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

SandJ wrote:
CaptSolo wrote:
Here is the Gallery page after several hours taking screen captures in-game. Quite happy with some results but others not so much. Critique is welcome.

[EliteWiki] Griffs No Shaders Shipset
Ooh, that's cracking is that. BTW, I have moved it to Griff's No Shaders Shipset because I'm like that. (Redirect is in place; there were no incoming links.)

Is there a plain English glossary somewhere that explains "normal mapping" and "shader" and so on, but in a way that a simple numpty like me can understand? What should I see differently having installed when Latest.log says "Shaders are supported"? The following completely does my head in:
ships which use normalmapping and shader effects to produce some of the best looking ships. They render as intended on hardware that supports full shader capabilities. This OXP was a project to bring Griff's ship set into a shaderless Ooniverse.
Many thanks, SandJ, for relocating the wiki page with correct title.

I have seen the difference shaders make in rendering objects. The normal map texture is used (accessed) by the fragment shader to add 3 dimensional detail to an object. Griff's shaders also add blinking lights and other illumination effects to an object, bits that glow with heat, and bright metallic colors.

I don't see many of these doodads playing Oolite on my computer. All I see is a dull grey object. Having studied Griff's textures for some time I began to understand how smartly he used the alpha channel of almost every texture. It finally occurred to me that I could re-arrange these elements into one texture, the diffuse map, to be processed by Oolites Materials declarations.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

I have concluded the testing phase. However, it is inevitable that players will spot a problem so version number will be set at 0.95. Release date: Saturday, May 12.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Good news! Did you get the free upgrade to your Box account, Solo?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: RELEASED Griff's No Shaders ShipSet

Post by CaptSolo »

It's finally ready to download:

Link to first message in thread:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11602
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Well done and wish many many sales...
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cool! Well done, Solo! Nice to see my Box upgrade getting the use it deserves. I presume it all works sweet from your end?
I have downloaded it btw, but that d/l won't show on the stats. Oh, you have achieved fame in the Sci-Fi Trivia thread as well... heh!
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Hey thanks for this! I was really hurting when my computer died, and I've been stuck on a backup laptop. I decided to give it a whirl, and lo! It works great! Griff's gave me a fair bit of slow-down, so its nice to be able to use his amazing models. Also, between you and me, I think these look a bit better. :lol:

Thanks for the hard work!
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

OneoftheLost wrote:
Hey thanks for this! I was really hurting when my computer died, and I've been stuck on a backup laptop. I decided to give it a whirl, and lo! It works great! Griff's gave me a fair bit of slow-down, so its nice to be able to use his amazing models. Also, between you and me, I think these look a bit better. :lol:

Thanks for the hard work!
Thank you, sir. It was an enjoyable graphic adventure. Something I would not have been able to do one year ago. All hail the power of the GIMP!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

It is indeed a boon for those of us with older machines ... although for some reason I seem to occasionally still see the original vanilla version of the Boa and Boa Class Cruiser. I've scrolled through all the ships displayed at the start of the game and they're both there - as are their griffified, de-shadered versions. I don't have any other ship OXPs installed at the moment: the only other non-griff ships that come up are the various Constore defender Sidewinders from Your Ad Here.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Disembodied wrote:
... for some reason I seem to occasionally still see the original vanilla version of the Boa and Boa Class Cruiser.
This is odd. I have Griff's No Shaders replacement and Smivs' ship set addition. I never see any vanilla ships, so I'm at a loss why you do.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

CaptSolo wrote:
This is odd. I have Griff's No Shaders replacement and Smivs' ship set addition. I never see any vanilla ships, so I'm at a loss why you do.
I took out all the OXPs except Griff's No Shaders, and the vanilla Boa and BCC disappeared. I think I've traced the reason: UPS Couriers has some ships that use their own models.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I'm pleased to report that this excellent OXP (which I have the honour of hosting) hit 250 downloads today - cool!