[RELEASE] Povray Planets 1.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Povray Planets 2.0 should...

be crowd-source designed.
20%
wait for planet shader support.
58%
hosted by akamai.
13%
not be necessary.
10%

Total votes: 40

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Povray Planets 1.0

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

pagroove wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
pagroove wrote:
I did give you full permission to convert my textures to cube maps and integrate and even distribute them into your package.

Sorry to be a nuisance but this is only valid for Galaxy 1/2. So maybe the easiest solution is:

1. to take my textures (you have full permission for that)
2. resize them as you see fit
3. convert them to cube maps
4. copy the converted cube mapped Famous Planets textures into your packages for Galaxy 1 and 2.
5. redistribute the packages for galaxy 1 and 2.

...I can as an alternative give a description to the existing Famous Planets 2.5. users that they must simply copy the textures from Famous Planets into the Povray texture directories for Galaxy 1 and 2...
PAGroove, Submersible,

Could one or other, or both of you, or someone's brother, hairdresser or cat, or anyone you have already shared them with, please make the cube-mapped Famous Planet textures available for download?
Wll do on or before friday :D
Meow!! :P
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Wildeblood wrote:
pagroove wrote:
I did give you full permission to convert my textures to cube maps and integrate and even distribute them into your package.

Sorry to be a nuisance but this is only valid for Galaxy 1/2. So maybe the easiest solution is:

4. copy the converted cube mapped Famous Planets textures into your packages for Galaxy 1 and 2.

...I can as an alternative give a description to the existing Famous Planets 2.5. users that they must simply copy the textures from Famous Planets into the Povray texture directories for Galaxy 1 and 2...
PAGroove, Submersible,

Could one or other, or both of you, or someone's brother, hairdresser or cat, or anyone you have already shared them with, please make the cube-mapped Famous Planet textures available for download?
http://swarm.perlide.org/static/Povray_ ... -06-24.zip - Merged FP + povray planets for galaxy1 , ~650MB - largely untested - does not include descriptions.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Gr8: Descriptions will come when RL has calmed down a bit. But I hope this will be fairly soon.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Submersible, howzabout a quick tutorial of the software you used and how to go about making it churn out our own planet textures? (Some of us have lots of galaxies to fill.)
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Wildeblood wrote:
Submersible, howzabout a quick tutorial of the software you used and how to go about making it churn out our own planet textures? (Some of us have lots of galaxies to fill.)
Oh - seriously?

I think there's already way too much on my plate. The software deps are horrible. Some source from
http://svn.perlide.org/padre/trunk/Padr ... are/povray
Which requires a patched povray37beta and a ton of perl modules from cpan. If you're not keen on building it all from source a tutorial really isn't much help.

Sorry.
mr_homn
Competent
Competent

Post by mr_homn »

submersible wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
pagroove wrote:

PAGroove, Submersible,

http://swarm.perlide.org/static/Povray_ ... -06-24.zip - Merged FP + povray planets for galaxy1 , ~650MB - largely untested - does not include descriptions.
So should I remove the old Povray Galaxy 1 Texture oxp and add this one in it's place? Or do I need to have both for it to work?

This is probably a stupid question, and I think the answer is to remove/replace, but I wanted to be absolutely sure.
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

mr_homn wrote:
So should I remove the old Povray Galaxy 1 Texture oxp and add this one in it's place? Or do I need to have both for it to work?
This is probably a stupid question, and I think the answer is to remove/replace, but I wanted to be absolutely sure.
Yep - remove the old one from your AddOns and install the updated one instead.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Is there an OXP that adds moons and other planets, thats also compatible with Povray Planets? I don't mean for it to use the same textures, just for it to not overwrite the main planet textures.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

JazHaz wrote:
Is there an OXP that adds moons and other planets, thats also compatible with Povray Planets? I don't mean for it to use the same textures, just for it to not overwrite the main planet textures.
Orbits OXP, if you've got plenty of ram.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

JazHaz wrote:
I have edited the Deep Horizon Systems to not texturize main planet and it seems to work ok with the povray planets. In my opinion DHS gives the most beautiful secondary planets and moons, but that's just me. If you feel adventurous, install DHS and edit the file Deep_Horizon_Systems.js. Comment out everything between the lines 231-250.

At least works for me :D .
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

Nice! I tried it and it works also for me.
Geteve from Galaxy 7 (with Povray missing galaxies: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11123 ).
Last edited by Tichy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

That last post from Tichy, the image seems to be on a website that Norton flags as having 5 viruses on it and won't allow me to visit. Do not click on the image!

Code: Select all

[img]http://ompldr.org/tZnA5Yg[/img]
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

:shock:
I think that's a false positive. I use ompldr as image hosting for some years now.

Anyway, I edited the post. Now the image is loaded on imgur.
Last edited by Tichy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Tichy wrote:
:shock:
I think that's a false positive. I use omldr as image hosting for some years now.

Anyway, I edited the post. Now the image is loaded on imgur.
omldr.org doesn't exist. ompldr.org does, and is blocked by Norton 360 on my system.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

JazHaz wrote:
omldr.org doesn't exist. ompldr.org does, and is blocked by Norton 360 on my system.
Sorry. A typo. I meant ompldr.org. F-Secure consider this site safe:
http://browsingprotection.f-secure.com/ ... F&lang=ENG

However, when in doubt, if you prefer, I will use another site to post pictures.