Oolite Key Maps

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Oolite Key Maps

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
No. Shift is an outlined arrow, while the arrow keys are printed just with filled arrow heads (you could also say triangles).
For my amusement, here’s a pretty complete list of “weird” Unicode symbols for Mac keyboard keys, except the media keys. These are the symbols that are used for menu commands and generally match what’s on the key, except in US layouts where more of them tend to be written out. Exceptions: as far as I’m aware, the Escape and Control symbols have never been used on an Apple keyboard, and the arrow keys have never had solid arrows.

←→↑↓ Arrows
↖↘ Home/end
⇞⇟ Page up/down
⇥ Tab
⇧ Shift
⇪ Caps lock
↩ Return
⌤ Enter (keypad), although the actual keyboard symbol is ⌅
⎋ Escape
⌫ Backspace
⌦ Delete
⌧ Clear (keypad)
⏏ Eject
⌘ Command
⌥ Option
⌃ Control
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Ahruman wrote:
For my amusement, here’s a pretty complete list of “weird” Unicode symbols for Mac keyboard keys, except the media keys.
Thank you. Will put them in for the next version. Might as well do it properly while I'm at it. My intention was to use the UK English layout for keyboards given the Elite heritage. English International seemed to be more appropriate for Mac.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Ahruman wrote:
For my amusement, here’s a pretty complete list of “weird” Unicode symbols for Mac keyboard keys, except the media keys.
Out of curiosity I logged into this page with a cheap tablet computer with Android 2.2.0 installed. The font installed in that computer did show all all unicode characters until the return character. All unicode characters below the return were unknown. :(

A page with an assortment of unicode characters can be found here . A good test to see if your computer knows most common characters. My mac does, but I better not log in with that cheap tablet computer. :P
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Updated versions available. See first post for details.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Gimi, thank you.

The Oolite Reference Sheet is excellent, but your key map is user-orientated.

I am a keyboard-only player; aiming, changing speed and firing are hard to do. I did not know you could use the numeric keypad for movement :oops: . I also didn't know about previous / next target :oops: .

Your Oolite Key Map is a useful - and attractive - facility, thank you.

PS: would you please change "Ships Equipment" to "Ship's equipment"?
Also, under "Government Icons", "Fudal" should be "Feudal" and "Multi Goverment" should be "Multi-government".
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

You're welcome SandJ. I'm glad it's useful.
SandJ wrote:
PS: would you please change "Ships Equipment" to "Ship's equipment"?
Also, under "Government Icons", "Fudal" should be "Feudal" and "Multi Goverment" should be "Multi-government".
:oops: Never was any good at spelling. Will fix.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Fixed the spelling mistakes pointed out by SandJ. Corrected version uploaded. See first post for details.
Ad_Astra
Competent
Competent

Post by Ad_Astra »

Thanks, I've found it useful, up to a point. I've changed some of the keys I use for different things, so it would be handy if something like this could be reconfigured by users to show what their amended keyboard use is actually like.

I'm a keyboard only Oolite player, always have been ever since I first played Elite on my trusty old rubber keyed ZX Spectrum. So, having spent more years than I care to remember using the q, a, o & p keys for up, down, left and right respectively, they get used in Oolite for pitch up, pitch down, roll left and roll right. This meant I had to reassign two keys, so the Space key now fires the lasers while pause is P. I always thought it odd that while cycling backwards through the targets is done by "-", you need to press shift to get "+" to cycle forwards; I'd prefer not to have to fiddle with the shift key during combat, so key_next_target is now "=" instead.

One thing I did notice is that on the Wiki page for keyboard controls is that the Pause key Keyconfig Entry is listed is "key_pause" when it should be key_pausebutton as I found out thanks to the lovely folk on the IRC #oolite channel. :)
Now rated Deadly flying a Military Stingray in Galsector 2 causing chaos, panic and disorder as a hitman and trader.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Thanks for mentioning it here, I fixed it in the wiki.
Ad_Astra
Competent
Competent

Post by Ad_Astra »

maik wrote:
Crickey, that was faster than a Fer de Lance NG! :lol:
Now rated Deadly flying a Military Stingray in Galsector 2 causing chaos, panic and disorder as a hitman and trader.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Ad_Astra wrote:
maik wrote:
Crickey, that was faster than a Fer de Lance NG!
That's why he is the Wiki Wizard!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Ad_Astra wrote:
Thanks, I've found it useful, up to a point. I've changed some of the keys I use for different things, so it would be handy if something like this could be reconfigured by users to show what their amended keyboard use is actually like.
There is the Powerpoint version which you can edit. You are free to do what you like with it. Also republish if you want. As for making one that is easily reconfigurable, that is a total different beast all together and beyond my current coding capabilities.
Ad_Astra wrote:
I'm a keyboard only Oolite player, always have been ever since I first played Elite on my trusty old rubber keyed ZX Spectrum. So, having spent more years than I care to remember using the q, a, o & p keys for up, down, left and right respectively, they get used in Oolite for pitch up, pitch down, roll left and roll right. This meant I had to reassign two keys, so the Space key now fires the lasers while pause is P. I always thought it odd that while cycling backwards through the targets is done by "-", you need to press shift to get "+" to cycle forwards; I'd prefer not to have to fiddle with the shift key during combat, so key_next_target is now "=" instead.
If you haven't already discovered it, Svengali's [wiki]Keyconfig[/wiki] script will let you generate new keyconfig files for Oolite quite easily.
It's discussed here on the bb.
Ad_Astra
Competent
Competent

Post by Ad_Astra »

Gimi wrote:
If you haven't already discovered it, Svengali's [wiki]Keyconfig[/wiki] script will let you generate new keyconfig files for Oolite quite easily.
It's discussed here on the bb.
Thanks for pointing that at me, it may well come in very useful. I've just remapped another keystroke - this time for the Energy Bomb, after accidentally hitting Tab once more... this time whilst in the safety zone off a Coriolis Space Station and earning me an immediate Fugitive Legal Status. D'oh! :oops:

So, my Energy Bomb is now activated by pressing the Delete key instead, where it's out of the way until I actually need it when surrounded by a dozen Thargoids. :twisted:
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Added new debug key; "c" Toggle connection to the debug console as described here. See first post for links.
Oolite 1.77 trunk / nightly build only.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Oolite v1.77 key map v1.1.3: Updated to reflect that changing TAF is now only possible when FPS is displayed. Minor updates and cosmetic changes.
Se first post for details.