randomshipnames.oxp preview

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: randomshipnames.oxp preview

Post by Thargoid »

As there are now a few exceptions to the ship roles to be named, it probably makes sense to put them into a defined exclusion array and compare against that? It will also make adding new roles to be excluded simpler.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Wildeblood wrote:
[...] I'm sure that your script can produce names longer than "Lady Eryn VIII", but this example already runs halfway across my widescreen monitor.
Is it possible to use line breaks, rather than colons, as separators? Even in the core ship set "Sidewinder Scout Ship" is already quite long, and having the ship name appearing on the line below the ship type would help avoid long trailing lines of green text.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Disembodied wrote:
Is it possible to use line breaks, rather than colons, as separators? Even in the core ship set "Sidewinder Scout Ship" is already quite long, and having the ship name appearing on the line below the ship type would help avoid long trailing lines of green text.
Commander McLane wrote:
If we're aiming for a standard in ship naming, I'd vote for separation by ": ". Main reason: it's considerably shorter in print than " - ". And I share your concern about cluttering too much text next to the target box. My dream solution would be to allow for line breaks to be used in ship names. But the developers may not allow that, for fear of opening the flood gates for unbearably long display names. As we know, every scripting ability can be (and has been!) abused by OXPers. :wink:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Commander McLane wrote:
My dream solution would be to allow for line breaks to be used in ship names.
:oops: Missed that, sorry ... But that shouldn't be a problem, surely? If people don't like unbearably long display names, then they won't use them. If the option was included, though, then moderately long names can be used without making them unbearably long ...

Of course, information about the targeted ship can also displayed on the console. Would it be possible to rejig this to provide a place for "extra" information about the target, e.g. name of ship, name of pilot etc.?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Disembodied wrote:
Of course, information about the targeted ship can also displayed on the console. Would it be possible to rejig this to provide a place for "extra" information about the target, e.g. name of ship, name of pilot etc.?
I've done it and it's not very successful. It might not be noticeable on faster computers, but on mine it causes a quite distinct stutter in the game animation when the console/comms messages are being written.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Wildeblood wrote:
I've done it and it's not very successful. It might not be noticeable on faster computers, but on mine it causes a quite distinct stutter in the game animation when the console/comms messages are being written.
When I use the ship ID system, using the standard HUD, I get the ship type displayed where the missile icons usually appear. Offhand I couldn't say but presumably with the randomshipnames.oxp this displays the ship type plus the ship name. Might it be possible to use this function to just display the ship name?