Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite felines...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

In your opinion, what size are the "normal" felines in Oolite?

Smaller than a Teacup Chihuahua.
No votes
The size of any regular Terran Felis Silvestris Catus.
No votes
Bigger than Felis Silvestris Catus, but less than three feet at the shoulder.
2%
Bobcat-sized.
No votes
Leopard-sized.
14%
Tiger-sized or bigger.
10%
The size of a Coriolis Station.
2%
I have no idea at all. I'm a commander, not a scientist!
17%
They are bipedal felinoid-humanoid hybrids, about human sized.
55%

Total votes: 42

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite felines...

Post by ClymAngus »

Honestly I'm not trying to force the idea. We already have massive renting reality issues based on the simple fact that back in the day (because it was a game) 2 maths students "fudged the science".

Although I'm sure there were deep discussions about the near infinite possibilities of a habitable universe, it was not the MAJOR limiting factor..... That was size pure and simple. You get restricted races because there was no size for any more. Also world size, planet size, ship size, everything.

It doesn't matter if the original idea had all the detail and craft of a faberge egg. It was hammered into a concrete box half it's size with a pounding mallet. This isn't a philosophical and whimsical flight of fancy, this is grubby scientific triage. :D

I know I'm going to catch flack for this; Elite is a good game but from the perspective of biology, history, sociology, exobiology, evolutionary principle, physics: Newtonian, relativity And quantum mechanics; IT'S AN IRRATIONAL BADLY THOUGHT OUT PAIN IN THE ASS!

That's why I love it, it's a frontier, an undiscovered country, a place that requires explanation, a thing that forces you think. NOW THAT'S FUN!

So in short I'm not down on any explanation, just as long as it fits the hastily constructed world in which we find ourselves. :)
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

ClymAngus wrote:
I know I'm going to catch flack for this; Elite is a good game but from the perspective of biology, history, sociology, exobiology, evolutionary principle, physics: Newtonian, relativity And quantum mechanics; IT'S AN IRRATIONAL BADLY THOUGHT OUT PAIN IN THE ASS!
No, no flack, and I agree.
ClymAngus wrote:
That's why I love it, it's a frontier, an undiscovered country, a place that requires explanation, a thing that forces you think. NOW THAT'S FUN!
Yes, which makes this bb a fun place.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

ClymAngus wrote:
I would enjoy discussing the nature of compelling narrative with you.
I think I have finally found an explanation of "compelling narrative" pitched at a level I can understand.

:)
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

NASA and Kelloggs should pay more attention to this group of gaming enthusiasts. Way to go, very entertaining! :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Davidtq »

Ive always assumed a roughly cat looking humanoid, alas Thundercats for Elite Felines, mainly based on the line from the original Elite manual "To win the confidence of a feline alien is almost invariably to be invited to mate".

It just doesnt bear thinking about a little talking tabby cat inviting you to bed.

A humanoid feline you can at least think cheetara, but a talking house cat :cry:
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Few days ago, listening to music I remembered this : more cat-humanoids on youtube :mrgreen:
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

snork wrote:
Few days ago, listening to music I remembered this : more cat-humanoids on youtube :mrgreen:
Very nice Snork, I like that a lot. :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs