Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

primable laser

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: primable laser

Post by Commander McLane »

maik wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
Brilliant AC :lol:

But you can be really evil by placing a code word in the read-me that has to be entered to install the oxp :twisted:
That was the copy protection on C=64 Elite, you had to find a word in the novella that came with it.
Which is why then lists of words were circulating, for all those people who got the game, but not the novella. :wink:
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Commander McLane wrote:
maik wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
Brilliant AC :lol:

But you can be really evil by placing a code word in the read-me that has to be entered to install the oxp :twisted:
That was the copy protection on C=64 Elite, you had to find a word in the novella that came with it.
Which is why then lists of words were circulating, for all those people who got the game, but not the novella. :wink:
Do tell.

I had Elite on a C=64, and had to squint through that damned "lenslok" thing to start the game, instead of looking for codewords.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Do tell.

I had Elite on a C=64, and had to squint through that damned "lenslok" thing to start the game, instead of looking for codewords.
I only bought C64-Elite on some gold collection of games. That meant no Dark Wheel, no ship chart, no goodies at all, but on the other hand no lenslok as well. So I know that only from other people's tales here on the boards.

In fact, I don't remember whether my version had any copy protection at all. I seem to remember the looking-up-codewords-from-lists routine more from Sierra games.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

The Commodore 64 version of Elite that I had...had no copy protection. It even used its own disk loader, which was considerably faster than the normal load speeds for the disk drive.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

This is really funny. Do you guys think even half the people who play the game can even read past a 4th grade level? Any sort of read the manual and enter code to start game would result in a serious decline in players. Human nature is to give something a try first and look it up if needed later. Human nature is to also ask someone to find the answer for them instead of looking it up for themself. Human nature is to be extremely lazy and I think it is time for most of the helpful people that provide answers to those that ask really basic questions that have obvious answers that require reading the documentation included in the game to start joining the rest of the human race and start being lazy and simply respond with 4 simple letters and nothing else.

RTFM.

Now, the result is a lot more free time for those that help others which can be used to create oxp's or help others with real genuine questions that do need help.

Try it and see what happens.

Oh and if anyone can help me I'm trying to use this stupid navigational array and I just can't seem to get it to work. What am I doing wrong? :lol:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
This is really funny. Do you guys think even half the people who play the game can even read past a 4th grade level? Any sort of read the manual and enter code to start game would result in a serious decline in players.
Ah, the good old days. Back in the days of Elite on C=64 (and elsewhere) there was no internet. You asked your school buddies. Games came with printed manuals. Some games even were text-only (the glorious days of Infocom and their kin).

What was the topic of the thread again. Ah, primable lasers :twisted: