RELEASE: Introducing the Snapper

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: RELEASE: Introducing the Snapper

Post by mandoman »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
mandoman wrote:
I find it interesting that Ahruman is against using the "smooth = yes" option. I think he was explaining it, but it went right over my head. What else is new
Look at the underneath of the snapper in the bottom of your posted pictures - it is very bright in one corner near where it joins the camo hull, but very dark in the far corner - this is what Ahruman meant and why overall smoothing doesn't necessarily work - that flat surface on the underside of the hull should be presenting a single angle to the sun and therefore should be evenly lit, but it's not. For your ship, where the engines and the dome stand out when they're not smoothed, this may still be the better option for you.
Hmmm, to smooth, or not to smooth. Since the engines and dome are the most prominent parts of the ship, I'll leave it on "smooth = yes", but that is definitely useful info for future products. Thank you. :)
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
mandoman wrote:
I find it interesting that Ahruman is against using the "smooth = yes" option.
Look at the underneath of the snapper in the bottom of your posted pictures - it is very bright in one corner near where it joins the camo hull, but very dark in the far corner - this is what Ahruman meant and why overall smoothing doesn't necessarily work -
Yes, it was only in the original example that smoothing was a bad option. In general it gives good effects. But you must use smoothing groups. In wings that is done by enclosing a to be smoothed area with hard edges (show yellow in wings). To be effective the area must be fully enclosed by the hard edges.
I have no idea how this works in blender, as when I imported a obj file with hard edges, and imported it into blender, I got the impression those edges were lost again.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Eric Walch wrote:
Yes, it was only in the original example that smoothing was a bad option. In general it gives good effects. But you must use smoothing groups. In wings that is done by enclosing a to be smoothed area with hard edges (show yellow in wings). To be effective the area must be fully enclosed by the hard edges.
I have no idea how this works in blender, as when I imported a obj file with hard edges, and imported it into blender, I got the impression those edges were lost again.
I'm not sure either, as Blender doesn't refer to "hard edges". You can make "Sharp Edges" in Blender, but I don't know if that if the same.

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

This ship's link is updated. I have been trying to track down "like_ship" errors referring to the SunBatMkII, and finally found the problem. So, even if you don't use the SunBatMkII oxp, at least you can know that there shouldn't be any more like_ship errors concerning it. If there are, please let me know. :)