[RELEASE] Zeke Mining Transporter 1.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Zeke Mining Transporter 0.1.1

Post by snork »

Hm, I can't see players actually buying your miner, everyone interested will probably want to start with the savegame, so keep them together, I'd say.
And, well, yes, ships. But I think it might be justified to list it on the activities page, too. After all, it offers a different game/ style of play.

I wonder if you may want to have some script in the oxp, so that there is always at least one rock hermit ?
On maybe 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 game starts I had no rock hermit nowhere.
If you want that, I can't help you with it :| (way above my head), but maybe someone else will.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

snork wrote:
I wonder if you may want to have some script in the oxp, so that there is always at least one rock hermit ?
Here's a suggested ship-script for the zeke-transporter-miner-player ship (Thanks to Wyvern_Mommy on IRC for pointing out a ship-script would be much better than a global script).

http://pastebin.com/QSqCAXfx

You'll also need to add a key to the ship:
script = "ZekeTransporterMinerPlayer.js";
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Yes using that script would be good for the OXP. On my system Rock Hermits always seem to spawn near the sun. And as I'm using Sensible Suns OXP (wonder if Sensible Suns is the culprit for the hermit location?) the sun is quite a long trip for this slow mining ship.

Edit: might be worth recommending Save Anywhere OXP is used in conjunction with the OXP.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

JazHaz wrote:
On my system Rock Hermits always seem to spawn near the sun. And as I'm using Sensible Suns OXP (wonder if Sensible Suns is the culprit for the hermit location?) the sun is quite a long trip for this slow mining ship.
Rock Hermits are more likely on the planet-sun route than the witchpoint-planet route because that's where most of the asteroids are. It was always so on the C64 version of Elite:-
"Okay, I've bought a mining laser, now where do I find an asteroid?"
"Fly toward the sun."
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

On the C64 version everything was randomly generated around the player. While it's possible the algorithm was skewed to generate more asteroids closer to the sun I can't remember that being the case.

The script I posted has the Hermit most likely between Witchpoint-Planet, then Planet-Sun, and least-likely Witchpoint-Sun.

In retrospect it might make sense to put it most likely on the Planet-Sun route.
Captain Patrick
Competent
Competent

Post by Captain Patrick »

snork, thanks for your suggestions about classification.

Micha, thank you very much for the handy suggested script. It's very reasonable that advanced and industrialized Zaonce should have at least one Rock Hermit always in operation. However, I'm having problems getting this script to activate. After saving your pasted script as "ZekeTransporterMinerPlayer.js" in a new "Scripts" folder in the .OXP package, and adding the line

script = "ZekeTransporterMinerPlayer.js";

to shipdata.plist in the Config folder, then starting the game, loading the savegame and launching, I found no Rock Hermit in the system. Because of my limited programming skills, I'm not sure if it's because of some weird Mac thing, something I did wrong, or what.

Probable relevant parts of Latest.log follow:

--------
14:18:32.076 [log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.76 (PPC-32 test release) under Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Build 8S165) at 2011-12-31 14:18:32 -0800.
Machine type: PowerBook6,8, 1280 MiB memory, 1 x PowerPC G4 (7450) @ 1500 MHz.
Build options: spoken messages, mass/fuel pricing, JavaScript console support, Debug plug-in support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support, JavaScript profiling.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

14:18:32.958 [dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch.
14:18:32.960 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
/Applications/Games/Oolite 1.76/Oolite.app/Contents/Resources
/Applications/Games/Oolite 1.76/AddOns
/Applications/Games/Oolite 1.76/AddOns/Ore_processor.oxp
/Applications/Games/Oolite 1.76/AddOns/PlanetFall 1.41.oxp
/Applications/Games/Oolite 1.76/AddOns/Rock_Hermit_Locator1.3.3.oxp
/Applications/Games/Oolite 1.76/AddOns/ZekeMiningTransporter_0.1.1_2011-12-29.oxp
14:18:32.960 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.5.0 ("1.5 NVIDIA-1.4.18"). Vendor: "NVIDIA Corporation". Renderer: "NVIDIA NV34MAP OpenGL Engine".
<snip>
14:18:33.145 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
14:18:34.860 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 8 world scripts:
oolite-cloaking-device 1.76
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.76
oolite-nova 1.76
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.76
oolite-trumbles 1.76
OreProcessorGems 1.51
PlanetFall 1.40
rockHermit_Locator 1.3.3
14:18:39.532 [loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========
14:18:51.459 [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ***** JavaScript exception (ZekeTransporterMinerPlayer.js.anon-script): TypeError: this.getSalt is not a function
14:18:51.459 [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: /Applications/Games/Oolite 1.76/AddOns/ZekeMiningTransporter_0.1.1_2011-12-29.oxp/Scripts/ZekeTransporterMinerPlayer.js, line 7.
14:18:51.460 [script.javaScript.load.failed]: ***** Error loading JavaScript script /Applications/Games/Oolite 1.76/AddOns/ZekeMiningTransporter_0.1.1_2011-12-29.oxp/Scripts/ZekeTransporterMinerPlayer.js -- could not run script
14:18:51.578 [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ***** JavaScript exception (ZekeTransporterMinerPlayer.js.anon-script): TypeError: this.getSalt is not a function
14:18:51.578 [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: /Applications/Games/Oolite 1.76/AddOns/ZekeMiningTransporter_0.1.1_2011-12-29.oxp/Scripts/ZekeTransporterMinerPlayer.js, line 7.
14:18:51.578 [script.javaScript.load.failed]: ***** Error loading JavaScript script /Applications/Games/Oolite 1.76/AddOns/ZekeMiningTransporter_0.1.1_2011-12-29.oxp/Scripts/ZekeTransporterMinerPlayer.js -- could not run script
14:18:53.092 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 8 world scripts:
oolite-cloaking-device 1.76
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.76
oolite-nova 1.76
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.76
oolite-trumbles 1.76
OreProcessorGems 1.51
PlanetFall 1.40
rockHermit_Locator 1.3.3
14:18:53.099 [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ***** JavaScript exception (ZekeTransporterMinerPlayer.js.anon-script): TypeError: this.getSalt is not a function
14:18:53.104 [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: /Applications/Games/Oolite 1.76/AddOns/ZekeMiningTransporter_0.1.1_2011-12-29.oxp/Scripts/ZekeTransporterMinerPlayer.js, line 7.
14:18:53.104 [script.javaScript.load.failed]: ***** Error loading JavaScript script /Applications/Games/Oolite 1.76/AddOns/ZekeMiningTransporter_0.1.1_2011-12-29.oxp/Scripts/ZekeTransporterMinerPlayer.js -- could not run script
--------

Wildeblood, in real astronomy, I think that asteroids farther from the sun than a habitable (by anything like us) world would normally be more likely, since asteroids are typically the result of a planet failing to coalesce because of the presence of a gas giant, which would normally be farther out than any habitable world (their excess gas never having been "boiled off" like for the nearer planets), and so too cold to be habitable itself – at least, that's how it happened in our Solar System.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Captain Patrick wrote:
14:18:53.099 [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ***** JavaScript exception (ZekeTransporterMinerPlayer.js.anon-script): TypeError: this.getSalt is not a function
Don't be offended by this question, but are you sure you copy/pasted all of the script Micha posted, and didn't think it ended before it did? Specifically, did you get as far as:-

Code: Select all

this.getSalt = function()
{
	// We only generate the salt once per save-game.  This ensures that
	// pseudo-randomly generated things (such as the location of the
	// Rock Hermits) are always the same for a given save-game, but differs
	// for each new save-game ensuring replay value
	if( typeof missionVariables.ZekeMiner_salt === 'undefined' ) {
		missionVariables.ZekeMiner_salt = Math.Random() * 1000;
	}
	return missionVariables.ZekeMiner_salt;
}
Wildeblood, in real astronomy, I think that asteroids farther from the sun than a habitable (by anything like us) world would normally be more likely, since asteroids are typically the result of a planet failing to coalesce because of the presence of a gas giant, which would normally be farther out than any habitable world (their excess gas never having been "boiled off" like for the nearer planets), and so too cold to be habitable itself – at least, that's how it happened in our Solar System.
Yes, I should retract that statement that asteroids are more common on the sun-planet route, since I don't know it to be true of Oolite. I just assumed it copied that from C64 Elite.
Captain Patrick
Competent
Competent

Wildebloode, no offense taken – I do appreciate that, in troubleshooting, all possibilities must be explored. And I know so little about this area that this (or anything else) could easily have slipped past me - but in fact, as I checked again just now, all was copied and pasted correctly. Sometimes there's a Rock Hermit, and sometimes there isn't, and always there's the Error message. Has it been working as is for you? Or, anyone else out there (including, with a Mac)?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

I think I see a stray capital letter: Math.Random should be Math.random, and if that doesn't fix it, try this:

Code: Select all

this.getSalt = function()
   {
   if (missionVariables.ZekeMiner_salt === null)
      {
       missionVariables.ZekeMiner_salt = Math.random() * 1000;
      }
   return missionVariables.ZekeMiner_salt;
}
Captain Patrick
Competent
Competent

Wildeblood, tried both of those suggestions, and same error. Has it been working in any form on your system?
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Argh, my bad. I rejigged the code and added comments before uploading to pastebin, forgetting that in Javascript you have to declare before you use.

And thanks for picking up the capitalisation error, Wildeblood. As it turns out, it never got executed anyway due to a misunderstanding I had about missionVariables.

It seems that missionVariables are always defined when trying to access them, so I changed the check to 'null' instead which seems to work. More experienced scripters are welcome to provide Best Practices.

Uploaded fixed (and reasonably tested) script (same URL).

(EDIT: PS, you will want to remove or comment-out the log-lines once you're happy with the way it works, as that's unnecessary spam in the Oolite log file.)
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Thank you Micha. :)
It is that I feel with so limited ways to create income, and the ship being so slow, there not being a rock hermit would make me restart /reload the game, wich always has a feel of cheating to me. :?
JazHaz wrote:
And as I'm using Sensible Suns OXP (wonder if Sensible Suns is the culprit for the hermit location?) the sun is quite a long trip for this slow mining ship.
:lol: :lol: I do not use them sensible suns, but already find myself spending an awful lot of money for witchdrive fuel - trebling that, and the time it takes to get somewhere - I just may go and get that oxp, too. :lol:

Well, I really like this game-style for a change, and I think Zaonce was a good choice.
So dark a system, this spooky sun with its zombie-ish light, being so vulnerable in this little ship - very creepy.
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

snork wrote:
Thank you Micha. :) ... and the ship being so slow...
JazHaz wrote:
And as I'm using Sensible Suns OXP (wonder if Sensible Suns is the culprit for the hermit location?) the sun is quite a long trip for this slow mining ship.
:lol: :lol: I do not use them sensible suns, but already find myself spending an awful lot of money for witchdrive fuel - trebling that, and the time it takes to get somewhere - I just may go and get that oxp, too. :lol:
The way I handle BOTH situations - i.e., slow ship and looooong travel times - might be of interest to you.

After learning of TAF-Reset OXP (which is a little more than a one-liner so it got originally shelved), and later on having tweaked the additional TAF reset functions which are embedded inside MilHUD, and yet later having to remove MilHUD in order to try one of CSOTB's HUDs, I had to do some improvisation afterwards in order to revive the automagical TAF resetting I'd got hooked into. :shock:

In the end, I fattened TAF-Reset a bit, in order to reset TAF to 1.0 whenever flight status changes between green-yellow-red (plus a couple other cases).

So when using this customised TAF-Reset version, whenever I'm low on fuel (so I can't overuse injectors), and there's a lot of enroute traffic (so I can't practically keep torus engaged for more than a couple seconds), and/or have to keep to slow speeds for whatever reason, here's what I do:

set desired course
set desired / allowed speed
set high TAF (2 - 4 - 8 - 16 etc), so that RL time is reduced vis-a-vis game time (vis-a-vis ? That's Architect-speak... :lol: )
with TAF=4 (or maybe TAF=8 for a very SLOW ship), you have enough time to visually inspect in-range traffic as it quickly wheezes by in the scanner (and whenever you spot pirates' orange/red blips, you can quickly pause, manually make TAF=1 again, and properly handle the situation).

conversely, whenever there's no traffic at all, I can loosely set course in the general direction of a station or Hermit (indeed, I do use Sensible Suns and visit Hermits once or twice in each system, so travel distances become quite stretched), engage jump drive AND set TAF=4 on top of it. On most cases, even when the Station or Hermit doesn't masslock you, any traffic in their vicinity will, so your jump drive will be disengaged by Oolite AND TAF will be set back to 1 by TAF-Reset at the same time.

Disclaimer: I feel I *might* have said something foolish or incoherent above :cry: , since I'm quoting from memory (haven't played in along while). Whatever.

Cheers :mrgreen:
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Hey Capt Patrick,

One more comment on this OXP: the miner transporter is IMHO too expensive. I can immediately sell it and trade up to a reasonably-kitted out CobraMk1 or similar, which kindof defeats the purpose of starting off from almost nothing.

Cheers,
- Micha.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Hm, I think that is due to some other oxp in your game like RS or Shady Sung's or such ?
(55k (ship) +15k (Rock hermit locator) + maybe 5k (other equipment) ) *3/4 = about 55k resale value, so not enough for A Cobra 1 in vanilla Oolite (100k).

But with the ore processor I am making money relatively fast (have never used it before). :shock:

following referred to a post that was moved to its own topic (TAF reset)
-----------------------------

sdrubble, that is really interesting, I did not know there is some auto-reset-TAF.
Without some auto-reset I can not use TAF, as I am flying on gamepad, and I try to use the keyboard only when there is no action to expect.
But my main doubt about it is, if it won't spoil my game experience. Like an atuomatic, always-on Go-pass-Go,-collect-200$ ! card.

I am ok wiith things taking their time, or being difficult in-game. To me, it raises, hm, my dedication.
Last edited by snork on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.