[RELEASE] Povray Planets 0.2

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Re: [RELEASE] Povray Planets 0.2

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

It gets much, much worse - I almost despair each time I have to use a French AZERTY keyboard. :evil:

I think it got something to do about each country being self-regulatory on the matter, maintaining the cultural diversity or something to the effect... Just some "we're XXXish/an/ese/etc., so even our keyboards are different" nationalist nonsense.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Not for all of them, for instance on a German keyboard the '*' isn't anywhere near the '8', and SHIFT-'8' would result in typing '('.
On non-Mac systems, keys are bound by location rather than character.
That must make mapping on non-std/non-English keyboards... Interesting - I've never noticed (Linux/Window) because I really use the keyboard having mapped most of my keys to my gamepad.

Out of curiosity - why - is this the case - it just seems wrong...
Binding by location rather than character does make sense in all the cases where a character doesn't exist on a foreign keyboard. On a German keyboard, for instance, neither a '`' nor a '\' exists, which means that with the default keyconfig.plist on a German Mac your Advanced Space Compass simply doesn't work at all, and you cannot view the comms log (another key that doesn't exist is '~', but fortunately that one isn't used in Oolite). You have to edit your keyconfig in order to get all functions of vanilla Oolite in working order.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

<rant>There's really no excuse to having to re-adapt each time one goes abroad, even to countries with the same language.
When the alphabet is different, it's understandable that the marking on the keys change - but even then, the physical layout of the keys is the same. To the point, there are more enough keys on a keyboard to map in Alt-Gr all the national accent marks and special characters used with the Latin alphabet, standardizing it to all users. What is amiss is political will.</rant>
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
<rant>There's really no excuse to having to re-adapt each time one goes abroad, even to countries with the same language.
When the alphabet is different, it's understandable that the marking on the keys change - but even then, the physical layout of the keys is the same. To the point, there are more enough keys on a keyboard to map in Alt-Gr all the national accent marks and special characters used with the Latin alphabet, standardizing it to all users. What is amiss is political will.</rant>
One of my friends uses Dvorak, and another used to use Colemak, but now has a custom arrangement based on a sample of text he sent to a website to determine which keys he uses most frequently. And both have extensively mapped what happens when various modifier keys are used, to the extent that they can get all Greek letters, and most mathematical symbols/letters as well. Needless to say that nobody tends to borrow their laptops!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
That must make mapping on non-std/non-English keyboards... it just seems wrong...
On the contrary, binding by location is the Right Thing for games. It means the gameplay experience is independent of the key mapping; the key next to caps lock fires the laser, regardless of whether using it in a word processor produces “a” or “q” or “ش”. It does cause a problem of documentation, which Oolite punts on; a decent keyboard configuration UI with Unicode support would fix this.
Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
There's really no excuse to having to re-adapt each time one goes abroad, even to countries with the same language.
You know that you can change the keyboard mapping, right? :-) Requiring people with more interesting orthographies to use a meta-key combo every time we want a hëavy mëtal ümlaut is, to be frank, a ridiculous solution.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Ahruman wrote:
You know that you can change the keyboard mapping, right? :-)
But it is not that obvious on current mac systems. In the pre-OSX 10 time I used resedit to remap some keys. In particular I use the Ø quite a lot and the § symbol hardly ever, so I want the Ø-key easy accessible.

With osx you have to know you must create a folder with name 'keyBindings' in the library. And inside that folder you must put a plist file with the name: 'DefaultKeyBinding'. I only learned last year how to do it and created following plist:

Code: Select all

{
"§" = ("insertText:", "Ø");
}
But than, it works like a charm.
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Wow - did this topic take a tangent! I like the advice about disabling the HUD - I forgot all about that.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Eric Walch wrote:
With osx you have to know you must create a folder with name 'keyBindings' in the library.
For our purposes here, going to System Preferences→Language & Text→Input Sources and selecting your layout of choice should be sufficient.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Is the link in the OP broken ? I can't seem to re down load the planets on my clean install of oolite.
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Duggan wrote:
Is the link in the OP broken ?
Yep... the link ain't working.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Duggan wrote:
Is the link in the OP broken ? I can't seem to re down load the planets on my clean install of oolite.
It's back again.