Marauder

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Marauder

Post by RyanHoots »

Looks very nice, thanks for looking into my suggestion.
How much are these going to cost?
(I just got a brand-new Koneko Kobra and I'm already looking into a new ride?!) :wink:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

20TC sounds very sensible for the hold, but I'm still surprise you didn't relate it to the Python, which in terms of raw dimensions I thought was the nearest of the core ships. The Boa is a closer match for length, but is much broader. :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

RyanHoots wrote:
Looks very nice, thanks for looking into my suggestion.
How much are these going to cost?
(I just got a brand-new Koneko Kobra and I'm already looking into a new ride?!) :wink:
I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking a number nearing 1,000,000. It IS a powerful ship. It will have to be to do what should be demanded of it. Mandotech Industries just throws it all into R&D anyway, so there isn't usually any real huge profit. :lol:
Smivs wrote:
20TC sounds very sensible for the hold, but I'm still surprise you didn't relate it to the Python, which in terms of raw dimensions I thought was the nearest of the core ships. The Boa is a closer match for length, but is much broader. :wink:
:lol: All right. What ever cranks your case. :D
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from. I suspect it turned out bigger than expected....these things happen. Can you not reduce the model size in Wings or Blender.....just simply make it smaller.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Yeah, I could make it smaller, but I don't really see the point. If it's the same size as a Python, then it is. With those huge power plants, not only should it be fast, but well shielded with plenty of power to spare. This is suppose to be in the fourth millenium AD, correct? Look at the advances made in just the last 100 years in real time, and then extrapolate what the possibilities could be by 3,000 AD, that is, if we don't destroy ourselves before that time. :)

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Just wanted to say I'm not exactly sure what millennium Oolite is supposed to be set in! :D

In any case, the 'negative' comments seem - to me, I hasten to add - to try and figure out why your ship is so much more advanced than all the other ships in the Ooniverse. As an example, I kind of remember a thread about uber ships a while ago... max speed was discussed too, and - IIRC - quite a few of the posters didn't feel it necessary to get their own OXP ships to go too much above 0.45LM, since it was already noticeably faster than contemporary ships, and as such already close to the pinnacle of the techincal expertise available in-ooniverse.

Anyway, yes, it's your ship & your design, so no worries! :)

And yay! Multi-colour razzle-dazzle camo! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Kaks wrote:
Just wanted to say I'm not exactly sure what millennium Oolite is supposed to be set in! :D

In any case, the 'negative' comments seem - to me, I hasten to add - to try and figure out why your ship is so much more advanced than all the other ships in the Ooniverse. As an example, I kind of remember a thread about uber ships a while ago... max speed was discussed too, and - IIRC - quite a few of the posters didn't feel it necessary to get their own OXP ships to go too much above 0.45LM, since it was already noticeably faster than contemporary ships, and as such already close to the pinnacle of the techincal expertise available in-ooniverse.

Anyway, yes, it's your ship & your design, so no worries! :)

And yay! Multi-colour razzle-dazzle camo! :D
Ah, I see. So according to the Oolite group as a whole, my ship shouldn't be able to go nearly as fast as I had intended. That's fine. I'll make the version in the oxp I release the slug that Smivs suggested, and leave it the way I want it in my Ooniverse. No skin off my back. 8)

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Mandoman,
please release the ship you want to....it's your baby and all we can do is offer considered opinion. People will either download it or not as they see fit. That's one of the great things about Oolite....you can make it whatever you want to.
And I never suggested making it a slug! The game already has a slug - it's called the Anaconda :)
I think earlier I mentioned 0.3LM as a possible sensible speed, when it seemed to me you were developing an all-rounder, a combat-capable light transport which would fit in with the core ship set.
If it's supposed to be a mad, uber future fighting machine, go for it!
Smivs.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

And if people like the look of it but find it a bit too uber they can always go into the Config folder find the shipdata.plist, find the line that looks similar to this max_flight_speed = 650; and change the number to 350 and it will be a bit more balanced.

But as Smivs said, "It is your baby" :D
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Fatleaf wrote:
And if people like the look of it but find it a bit too uber they can always go into the Config folder find the shipdata.plist, find the line that looks similar to this max_flight_speed = 650; and change the number to 350 and it will be a bit more balanced.

But as Smivs said, "It is your baby" :D
650? :shock: Whoa Nellie!
In the core game, the Constrictor is the fastest ship @ 600, and it has to be that fast, cause it's really not at all as laserproof that the mission brief tells you it is. The Cobra mk3 is fast for a light freighter @ 350, making it the fastest for it's class among core ships. The Asps and Vipers, dedicated fighters, haul serious ass @ 400. I think Thargoid warships can do 500, but the Bugs don't equip fuel injectors.

In other words, you break the Constrictor mission; outrunning that rogue makes him too easy to defeat. As if he isn't weaker than the Navy man said. Heh, "Military Intelligence", indeed.

To be fair, I would tune it down a bit, say around 375 - 430. That's more than adequate.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

THE CONSTRICTOR BRIEFING GUY LIED?! :evil:

I guess he just wanted me to feel no pressure if I died... which I didn't, thankfully.

So, theoretically, I could have shot him down with a pulse laser? Weakling...

Okay, back on topic...

Yeah, I'd tone down the speed to .4 LM, maybe .5 at a stretch.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

RyanHoots wrote:
THE CONSTRICTOR BRIEFING GUY LIED?! :evil:

I guess he just wanted me to feel no pressure if I died... which I didn't, thankfully.

So, theoretically, I could have shot him down with a pulse laser? Weakling...
Yeah... After I chased that pirate down, I carved him up like a roast Trumble with a mil laser. Then I reloaded, equipped a beam laser, and went after him again. It was a bit more of a challenge then, but the final kill was still a breeze.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Like I said, I see the way the arrow is pointing, and am going to follow it......for the oxp I release. In my own Ooniverse, where Fireflys can blow you up if you don't kill them fast enough, it goes the speed I had in mind, has the energy to take on the Firefly, and can protect the real slug, Anaconda, from just about anything thrown in it's path. If people want slow, I can make my ships slow, to fit in with the Core ship standards. Not sure why I even suggested different, since I can do what ever I want with my own creations on my copy of Oolite. :)

Addendum:

I can't get most of the ships I have built so far to even work on Oolite, as I can't figure out AIs, and Java Scripts for anything. I hope people enjoy the ones I have the ability to release without such necessities.

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I had to look up the Firefly, 'cos I had no idea what you were talking about. As far as I can see it's weedy and only has a frankly unbelievable top speed as a 'redeeming' feature. As it seems to be causing you problems, why not just remove it?
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

mandoman wrote:
Like I said, I see the way the arrow is pointing, and am going to follow it......for the oxp I release. In my own Ooniverse, where Fireflys can blow you up if you don't kill them fast enough, it goes the speed I had in mind, has the energy to take on the Firefly, and can protect the real slug, Anaconda, from just about anything thrown in it's path. If people want slow, I can make my ships slow, to fit in with the Core ship standards. Not sure why I even suggested different, since I can do what ever I want with my own creations on my copy of Oolite. :)
If you want .62 LM, go ahead. I'd love a ship that fast, and anyone who has problems with it can, of course, edit the OXP.

Kinda on topic, I'm hoping to get a Constrictor when I become Elite, mostly because of the speed. I do not plan to release a player constrictor OXP.