Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

OOLITE MULTIPLAAAYEEEER (or the closest thing to it)

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

OOLITE MULTIPLAAAYEEEER (or the closest thing to it)

Post by commanderxairon »

search in the internet for Freelancer Discovery Mod

and then you will play something like

give oolite years and years of developing

remove the "this is impossible to do" users

and voila !!!!!!

you got it
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: OOLITE MULTIPLAAAYEEEER (or the closest thing to it)

Post by Selezen »

Are you STILL beating this tired old horse?

Look, multiplayer Oolite isn't impossible. It's just that no-one wants to tackle the job of coding it or hosting the infrastructure.

If you want it so badly, then download the source code, program the server and client yourself (remembering that you will need to develop the Mac, Linux and PC clients) and fund the internet server for the back end.

Either that or find some kind people who will do that for you. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Remember though, that you will NOT be able to charge fees from players to play it.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Do I lock yet another "Multiplayer Oolite" Thread...?

It's tempting.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Do I lock yet another "Multiplayer Oolite" Thread...?
It's tempting.
Isn't it just... hey-ho!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

commanderxairon wrote:
search in the internet for Freelancer Discovery Mod

and then you will play something like

give oolite years and years of developing

remove the "this is impossible to do" users

and voila !!!!!!

you got it
PLEASE - go and read this entire thread (and all cross-linked threads) again.
Selezen wrote:
commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

Post by commanderxairon »

0.0 this isnt oolite read the thread before ranting is freelancer (from microsoft games) with an (excelent by the way) mod that adds much things to game (adding much things that oolite has or are provided by oolite mods) also has a built in multiplayer online support... i dont blame you all forum users are the same xD
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

It is a link, well not a link exactly, a reference to some other game embedded in what looks to me like a dig at oolite developers and nay-sayers who dont want or dont want to commit to MMOOlite.

To be blunt, if you post something that looks like "I found cooling boosters", "multi player" or similar, you are likely to get a chorus of abuse for bringing up the same old thing.

To be honest I still dont actually know what you are trying to say. Reads to me like "these guys already do everything oolite does, why not play that instead". Is that a correct reading, or are you offering it as an example of what we can do, or something else?
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Cooling boosters? Did somebody mention cooling boosters? :o

Oh... er, sorry, yeah. Bad Drew. :oops:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

commanderxairon wrote:
i dont blame you all forum users are the same xD
No we are not, but we are happy about the way oolite works. And couple of advices to follow;

a) Please don't try to change a well established coomunity to your liking,

b) And please be polite, This is, after all, the "Friendliest board this side of Riedquat"(TM).(copied from Cmdr. Maegil's post at another topic)

Okti
Last edited by Okti on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

In this world of games where any kiddie can skull **** the crimson hell out of any mature adults gentle and therapeutic gaming experience.

In a world where a recently honourably discharged soldier can be pointed at and called a "noob" by a creature that has only just learned to wipe it's own rear end.

In a world where O.C.D. trumps life experience every single god damn time.............

Choose MMOG. Choose a character. Choose a profession. Choose a ship. Choose a f***ing big corporation, Choose power ratios, weaponry, shielding, cargo capacity, and system processing. Choose trading, pirate hating and generally being nice. Choose paying some fat cat game maker to fight your fellow man. Choose a home world. Choose your wingmen. Choose colour scemes and matching logos. Choose a ship upgrade that you'll pay back if you can mine 50 f***ing asteroids. Choose ship balancing and wondering why your still playing a 5am on Sunday morning. Choose sitting at your PC watching a foul mouthed 12 year old rip you a new one and steal every virtual thing you've ever made. Choose realising you've wasted your time and money as the double crossing net piranha close in, determined to put you right back to square one in the most humiliating way possible. Choose your virtual future. Choose MMOG... But why would I want to do a thing like that?

I chose not to choose MMOG, I chose something else........

(sorry Okti, it seemed like only a bit of Trainspotting would fully convey the monumental wrongness.)
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

ClymAngus wrote:
(sorry Okti, it seemed like only a bit of Trainspotting would fully convey the monumental wrongness.)
:D
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Throwing petrol on the fire: I personally wouldn't mind a multiplayer Oolite (even though I know it'd be a VERY ambitious undertaking with the current codebase and most likely require a rewrite from scratch, and hence something which is exceedingly unlikely to ever happen (unless of course, someone wanted to employ me to make it so!))

Anyhoo, what I most certainly WOULD mind is then playing such a creation on an open server. No thank you, for all the reasons which ClymAngus so eloquently put before us.
No siree.
What would, however, be pretty cool is multiplaying with a couple of mates with similar gaming styles/interests. Us against the big bad void. Ie, co-op gaming. Something which 99% of games don't bother with. And we wonder why the world is as screwed as it is..
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

I think we have a case of language confusion here. I suspect that commanderxairon is not getting his points across in a sensible way owing to limitations in his English. We should at least allow for that scenario.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Gimi wrote:
I think we have a case of language confusion here. I suspect that commanderxairon is not getting his points across in a sensible way owing to limitations in his English. We should at least allow for that scenario.
True - but there is still the "Multiplayer" Read me first thread - and irrespective of a language barrier - I can't find another way to take the original posting, other than what Cmdr James said: "Freelancer is multiplayer, Oolite should become Freelancer/Multiplayer too, stop saying it can't be..." <shrug>
Selezen wrote:
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
True - but there is still the "Multiplayer" Read me first thread - and irrespective of a language barrier - I can't find another way to take the original posting, other than what Cmdr James said: "Freelancer is multiplayer, Oolite should become Freelancer/Multiplayer too, stop saying it can't be..." <shrug>
That is actually very well summarized DH. And I do agree, this horse is truly beaten to death. I was thinking more about his somewhat unconventional choice of words that can, if interpreted that way, come across as rather, how do I say this, fresh.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).