Explorers' Club OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Explorers' Club OXP

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Wildeblood wrote:
Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Mauiby de Fug wrote:
You'd have to decide how you define "visiting" a system - whether or not you'd count just flying though on the way, or if you had to dock (my preference would be to have to dock at the main station).
I concur, no fly-bys. Main station only for version 1, then if it were not too technically difficult add planetfall or main station. No stations further out should count as a visit.
There are a few other options you could consider given the Event handlers available. Eg. a visit could be recorded on entering the main planet's vicinity (3x times planetary radius), or buzzing it's surface, or entering the main station Aegis but not necessarily docking (for those with an aversion to the law).
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
Mauiby de Fug wrote:
You'd have to decide how you define "visiting" a system - whether or not you'd count just flying though on the way, or if you had to dock (my preference would be to have to dock at the main station).
I concur, no fly-bys. Main station only for version 1, then if it were not too technically difficult add planetfall or main station. No stations further out should count as a visit.
There are a few other options you could consider given the Event handlers available. Eg. a visit could be recorded on entering the main planet's vicinity (3x times planetary radius), or buzzing it's surface, or entering the main station Aegis but not necessarily docking (for those with an aversion to the law).
No, no, no. Visiting a planet means making contact with the local indigenes. (And the Explorers' Club should not welcome criminals as members.) The only exception that should be made is for a system that doesn't actually have a main station (in vanilla Oolite, the Nova mission system). Save your fancy ideas for some kind of survey/recon mission, bloatware devil!
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

You've given me a few ideas to add to the next version of OOliteInfo.

I'm currently working on the cross platform Python version so all should be able to benefit from it. I'm thinking I'll add a little check-list to the main program so you can tick it off as you visit.
Now my brain is telling me to implement a bit of code that gives you a run down list of planets to visit in the most efficient order using minimum number of jumps and minimum amount of fuel.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

maaarcooose wrote:
Now my brain is telling me to implement a bit of code that gives you a run down list of planets to visit in the most efficient order using minimum number of jumps and minimum amount of fuel.
See Okti's Galaxy Info or Long-Range Scanner OXPs (I can never remember which one has the jump-planner Easter egg).
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Wildeblood wrote:
And the Explorers' Club should not welcome criminals as members.
Why not?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Wildeblood wrote:
maaarcooose wrote:
See Okti's Galaxy Info or Long-Range Scanner OXPs (I can never remember which one has the jump-planner Easter egg).
It's in the Long Range Scanner. I quote from its equipment.plist:

Code: Select all

"Jump Planner", 
		"EQ_LONG_RANGE_SCANNER_JUMP", 
		"Gives specific info for the targeted system and allows to jump to far systems without using fuel. This equipment is based on a Thargon technology and can be used from Long Range Scanner.", 
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

El Viejo wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
Why not?
I'm with El Viejo here ... it's not really a proper Explorers' Club unless there's a few villains, bounders, cads and rogues hob-nobbing together in the library.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Disembodied wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
Why not?
I'm with El Viejo here ... it's not really a proper Explorers' Club unless there's a few villains, bounders, cads and rogues hob-nobbing together in the library.
Okay, you talked me around with your silver-tongued powers of persuasion. Let's talk rankings... Off the top of my head:

Planets Visited --> Status:
1-128... no status
129-256... Applicant
257-512... Associate Member
513-1024... Member
1025-1792... Senior Member
1793-2047... Honorary Life Member
2048... President
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Wildeblood wrote:
Let's talk rankings...
Suggested alternative names:

Planets Visited --> Status:
1-128... Tenderfoot
129-256... Rambler
257-512... Traveller
513-1024... Rover
1025-1792... Ranger
1793-2047... Voyager
2048... Explorer
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

As someone who has gone places no one else has, I can say that reaching all 2048 systems in the game is a LOT harder than it sounds. Galaxy Charts 3, 6, 7, and 8 contain normally unreachable systems ...so unless you use OXPs you cannot visit some of them. Even Okti's LongRangeScanner will not help you in this regard, as it only works with reachable systems.

It is possible to reach the "unreachable" systems in Gal. Chart 7 without using OXPs. It's rather cruel to do to npc ships though. :lol:

The others generally require reprogramming the Galactic Hyperdrive to reaching all systems...but you end up stuck there as they don't sell more Galactic Hyperdrives! So you'd need GalDrivePod OXP or something similar to get you out of such systems. The ones in Gal. Chart 3 may offer an escape -- depending on if a Galactic Hyperdrive is ever sold by a TL 10 system.

Technically, the unreachable systems in 3 and 8 can be reached without using a Galactic Hyperdrive to get to them...but that doesn't mean it's easy! It still requires an OXP which very carefully plots a jump route to them.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Switeck wrote:
It is possible to reach the "unreachable" systems in Gal. Chart 7 without using OXPs. It's rather cruel to do to npc ships though.
Yeah... ain't that the truth!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Wow, the Explorers' Club is going from strength to strength! :)

I just had a brainwave: why not rename all visited planets?

'Lave' could become 'Lave *',etc. (and we should be able to use proper stars, not just asterisks)

Due to an unfortunate glitch with the short range chart, the name change won't be properly visible in 1.75.3, but from rev4658 (available soon as a nightly build) you should then be able to tell at a glance where you've been! :)

PS: I know the 'why not' is bloatware! Still, one can dream! Dreams of using the 'empty star' to say you just jumped in-system, and using the full star to say you did dock to the main station...

That would be glorious! :D

Wait, I possibly, just possibly, I did get carried away there... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Kaks on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Kaks wrote:
Wow, the Explorers' Club is going from strength to strength! :)

I just had a brainwave: why not rename all visited planets?

'Lave' could become 'Lave *',etc.
"This planet is well-known for Vetitice *ian lethal brandy..."
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yep! As in

'This country is well known of 'Stralian XXXX beer'!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Kaks wrote:
Yep! As in

'This country is well known of 'Stralian XXXX beer'!
XXXX Gold is the only beer made without the need for any brewing. Those shifty Queenslanders just pipe seawater in and can it.