Galactic Hyperdrive / GalDrive Programmers OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Galactic Hyperdrive Programmers OXP

Post by Wildeblood »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:26 am

But.

1) Version number mismatch between .oxz folder title (1.1.4) and manifest.plist (1.2) (standard editorial nitpicking)

2) It has lost the ReadMe

3) Why does the F3-F3-F3 option no longer work?

It was a superb addition - and was the only one of these extra key combinations which seemed to me to have any intuitive logic behind it.

Was it just the change to the F6 screens to make them adjustable? (which also led to the jump range circles becoming inaccurate? ... and killing off BGS-X mapping?).

References:
Alternate jump range indicator OXP
BGS - see section on BGS-X mapping
1) I argued against putting version numbers in filenames, foreseeing this exact situation, but the devs said no, we'll make it easy for everyone to manage their own files' availability in the expansion manager, put each new version with a different URL please. Turns out I was right.

2) No-one reads ReadMes.

3) Everyone agreed throwing up mission screens in-flight was a bad idea, so I devised the alternative of using a HUD switch to display the images. The chart images were actually full-screen HUD dials, not mission screen backgrounds, as you know. The system broke with the new interactive chart screens, which draw the chart layer in front of the HUD dials layer, where they had previously been behind.

Using F6-F6-F6 to get to the chart image seemed intuitive to me, I'm glad you agree. It's acceptable if you buy the GalDrive and use it quickly, but became irksome if you bought the GalDrive just to have on hand. I'm thinking today, I might make the images available in the F4 screen, as a separate "help file" that can be omitted/deleted, rather than firmly attached to the GalDrive Programmer interface.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:22 am
2) No-one reads ReadMes.
They might not at the moment thanks to the use of .OXZs, and the wiki and this BB. But with the problems we've been having with both, is that really a safe bet?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Galactic Hyperdrive / GalDrive Programmers OXP

Post by Switeck »

Showing the next Galactic Chart at the same scale as the previous one is something I'm also interested in doing for Quantum Drive OXP.

I ran across this and saved it some time ago in my text files in the hopes I'd get it working for Galactic Chart pictures:
To use an image on a mission screen do the following: taken from the example here https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolit ... e:_Mission

Code: Select all

mission.runScreen({
     title: "My first mission screen",
     overlay: {name:”my image.png”, height:546}, // here is where you use overlay
     choicesKey: "me_firstmission_choices"
 },
 function (choice)
 {
     if (choice === "1_YES")  player.commsMessage("Yay!");
     else if (choice === "2_NO")  player.commsMessage("Boo.");
     else  player.commsMessage("Whut?");
 });
It's not an exact fit, but it's a good start for what we both want.
And yes, that will probably have to go under the F4 screen rather than F6-F6-F6 key combo...which means only available while docked at a station.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Switeck wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:41 am
Showing the next Galactic Chart at the same scale as the previous one is something I'm also interested in doing for Quantum Drive OXP.
Co-incidentally, I tried to download it last night, to have a peek. The download link I found on the wiki has apparently expired long ago.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Using F6-F6-F6 to get to the chart image seemed intuitive to me, I'm glad you agree. It's acceptable if you buy the GalDrive and use it quickly, but became irksome if you bought the GalDrive just to have on hand. I'm thinking today, I might make the images available in the F4 screen, as a separate "help file" that can be omitted/deleted, rather than firmly attached to the GalDrive Programmer interface.
Here, try this one please. See if it's the rudiments of something you could ruminate on.

https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File: ... lp.oxp.zip
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:49 pm
Here, try this one please. See if it's the rudiments of something you could ruminate on.

Alas, according to my fair Araminta, rumination is verboten and restricted to bovines with a Rumen.

But.

'Tis downloaded! Despite the ghastly timing on this side of the planet, oscination will commence shortly (probably in a state of trance, exploring the outer reaches of the Pool of Pellucid Placidity).

But.

We should rejoice with wild and perfervid huzzahs! The Holy Giles has returned (momentarily) from the outer darknesses. In our hour of desperate need, our calls for salvation were answered. The Holy Writings of St. Phibo Nacci have been vindicated. The... (animated burbling tails off as Araminta seizes him by the neck and drags him from the podium...).

Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:49 pm

(Note the necessary notation above about the legality of rudimentary ruminations)

I regret that Oolific Oscination has yet to provide anything which seems of immediate utility.

The usual start up - shift key held down, GH "v.1.1.4" sitting comfortably in the Managed AddOns, seat belt buckled, "Help" similarly seated in AddOns.

1) A new entry appears on the docked F4 screen: Galactic™ hyperdrive. When I click on it, it stares back at me stubbornly and refuses to take me anywhere - not even to a humble textual interface, never mind one of those Wondrous Wildefire™ Avionics Astrogatory Arrays...

2) Multiple and Repeated Attempts at hitting the F6 button (conjoined with invocations of the Holy Phibo Nacci) merely bounce me between the so-called current "short range" and "long range" charts and do not yet fling me screaming and kicking within sight of the next Galaxy. Even waving the Holy Sceptre of Sacerdotal Serenity over my head (widdershins) seems to have no effect on the process. I do elicit various wide-eyed glances from both Araminta and Benedict. She shakes the Armillary Sphere for Colesque at me whilst urging me to desist. But it's her Armillary Sphere. And her impulse. Nothing to do with your OXPs.

Now.

This was only done whilst docked. I could have another stab after launch if you feel that the process might elicit some worthwhile response. Could I be waving the Sceptre the wrong way?

My latest.logs nowadays tend to rival the Thousand and One Arabian Nights for brevity. Searching for your "help" elicited nothing of value, other than confirmation of its inclusion. The only failures I noticed were the usual in connection with my feeble attempts to wed Runghold's SecComFinder to Switech's improved version of the Galactic Navy...

References:
Church of Giles the Creator
Comments wanted:
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:38 am
A new entry appears on the docked F4 screen: Galactic™ hyperdrive. When I click on it, it stares back at me stubbornly and refuses to take me anywhere - not even to a humble textual interface, never mind one of those Wondrous Wildefire™ Avionics Astrogatory Arrays...
Are you seeing any messages appear, like console messages, when you select the "Galactic Hyperdrive"?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

phkb wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:34 am
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:38 am
A new entry appears on the docked F4 screen: Galactic™ hyperdrive. When I click on it, it stares back at me stubbornly and refuses to take me anywhere - not even to a humble textual interface, never mind one of those Wondrous Wildefire™ Avionics Astrogatory Arrays...
Are you seeing any messages appear, like console messages, when you select the "Galactic Hyperdrive"?
Well, indeedy, you should be seeing a comms message announcing a destination has been set for the galactic hyperdrive. You don't perchance have your HUD hidden completely while docked, do you?

Hey, you wait one cotton-pickin' minute, fella....
GH "v.1.1.4" sitting comfortably in the Managed AddOns,
ITYM, v 1.2
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

I've been seeing console messages flick past - too quickly to read them (we antediluvians need time to cognise changes in the world around us, unlike you young whippersnappers...)

v.1.1.4 is what it says on the outer wrapper. I presume that the manifest.plist says v.1.2 inside...
Comments wanted:
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:15 pm
I've been seeing console messages flick past - too quickly to read them (we antediluvians need time to cognise changes in the world around us, unlike you young whippersnappers...)
They're whatever the default behaviour for a comms message is, if they're disappearing before you can decipher them, something else is playing funny buggers, not my stuff.
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:15 pm
v.1.1.4 is what it says on the outer wrapper. I presume that the manifest.plist says v.1.2 inside...
Good point.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

As adumbrated previously, I've an exceptionally high regard for your stuff... (but not your leg, which cries out for elongatory activities).
Comments wanted:
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

PS.galacticHyperspaceFixedCoordsInLY not retained in save-game?

Post by Wildeblood »

As per the title, apparently PS.galacticHyperspaceFixedCoordsInLY is not retained in the save-game file?

And it is thwarting my attempts to save it in a missionVariable, too. I'm trying this:-

missionVariables.galDrive_Coords = JSON.stringify(player.ship.galacticHyperspaceFixedCoordsInLY);

// Later, that same evening...

if (missionVariables.galDrive_Coords) {
            player.ship.galacticHyperspaceBehaviour = "BEHAVIOUR_FIXED_COORDINATES";
            player.ship.galacticHyperspaceFixedCoordsInLY = JSON.parse(missionVariables.galDrive_Coords);
        }
which is resulting in this:-

Exception: Error: Cannot set property galacticHyperspaceFixedCoordsInLY of instance of PlayerShip to invalid value {...}.
    Active script: galdrive_worldscript 1.3
    galdrive_worldscript.js, line 22:
                player.ship.galacticHyperspaceFixedCoordsInLY = JSON.parse(missionVariables.galDrive_Coords);
Helpful intervention would be much appreciated.

Here's the whole script:-

"use strict";

this.name        = "galdrive_worldscript";
this.description = "A function that needs to be shared.";
this.version     = "1.3";

/* ====================================================================================
	RESTORING THE CO-ORDINATES, OR RESETTING THE MISSION TEXT, AT START-UP
======================================================================================= */

this.startUp = function () {
        "use strict";
        if (player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_GAL_DRIVE") !== "EQUIPMENT_OK") {
            delete missionVariables.galDrive_Coords;
            mission.setInstructions(null, this.name);
            player.ship.galacticHyperspaceBehaviour = "BEHAVIOUR_STANDARD";
            return;
        }
        if (missionVariables.galDrive_Coords) {
            player.ship.galacticHyperspaceBehaviour = "BEHAVIOUR_FIXED_COORDINATES";
        } else {
        }
     // delete this.startUp;
    }

/* ====================================================================================
			EQUIPMENT SCRIPTS CALL THIS WHEN ACTIVATED

Equipment scripts call this ***AFTER*** setting the new co-ordinates.
        worldScripts.galdrive_worldscript._saveDestination(destinationName);
======================================================================================= */

this._saveDestination = function (destinationName) {
        "use strict";
        if (!destinationName) {
            return;
        }
        missionVariables.galDrive_Coords = JSON.stringify(player.ship.galacticHyperspaceFixedCoordsInLY);
        player.commsMessage("Co-ordinates: " + player.ship.galacticHyperspaceFixedCoordsInLY, 6);
        player.commsMessage("Destination: " + destinationName, 6);
        mission.setInstructions("Galactic™ hyperdrive destination is set to " + destinationName + ".", this.name);
    }

PERFORMING A GALACTIC JUMP

this.playerEnteredNewGalaxy = function () {
        "use strict";
    }

THE END
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

It appears the JSON object isn't smart enough to work with a Vector3D object in this way. I found this worked:

player.ship.galacticHyperspaceFixedCoordsInLY = Vector3D([JSON.parse(missionVariables.galDrive_Coords).x, JSON.parse(missionVariables.galDrive_Coords).y, JSON.parse(missionVariables.galDrive_Coords).z])
JSON.parse is certainly returning an object with x, y and z properties, but it's not *strictly speaking* a Vector3D object. It's just an object that happens to match a Vector3D's properties. And a Vector3D constructor can't take an object - it needs an entity, an actual Vector, or an array of three numbers.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

phkb wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:35 pm
It appears the JSON object isn't smart enough to work with a Vector3D object in this way. I found this worked...
Indeed, it did. Thank you. My next question is why is this OXZ not appearing in the download manager? I uploaded version 1.3 three hours ago. I just went looking to see if the download list had been updated. No version 1.3, and, no previous version 1.2 either! Whom, what or how did I offend?