Galactic Hyperdrive / GalDrive Programmers OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: [UPDATED] Galactic Hyperdrive OXP

Post by hiran »

Taken from Screenshots
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:40 am
hiran wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:49 am
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:11 pm
No, you don't need to prime it at all at all!

The forum post looks like it was for Wildeblood's Galactic Hyperdrive OXP which adds to the vanilla game Galactic Hyperdrive.
So there are two different types of equipment with the same name? Then it should be pointed out somewhere. I almost feared my hyperdrive were 'stowed away' and thus not primeable.

I ended up in the target system. And saw the station straight away. It is huge - but first I went to Coriolis and saved the session.
No. It's the same equipment. Wildeblood's OXP (not on the Expansions Manager - see below) gives it more oomph, that's all - the ability to choose where you are going in the next galaxy. The Vanilla game galactic hyperdrive gives you no choice at all.

Wildeblood's also lets you see the chart for the next galaxy (F3F3F3) - but this seems not too work too brilliantly on my AppleMac, overlaying the current Galaxy chart and creating a bit of a morass in terms of working out what's what!

I presume that this is due to the changes in the F6 charts with v1.82 (2015) - which happened around the time that Wildeblood left these boards. Much of his published work has either been withdrawn (often due to changes in the vanilla game code) and much has no license - only his personal copyright.

So? Have you docked yet? cbr has very kindly shown you the front door... - I wasted a lot of time peering myopically around the other end of the colossus...

And did you ever manage to get the force-feedback-joystick vanilla-game-code tweak to compile?
This adds complexity. I just checked, and I have a 'Galactic Hyperdrive Reimagined' OXP installed. Our Wiki page about Galactic Hyperdrive definetely needs to disambigue things then. Tell that there are different items labelled the same, allow a user to identify which one of them he is facing and describe their behaviour.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

They are not separate pieces of equipment.

There is just the one piece of equipment - the vanilla game's Galactic Hyperdrive which takes you to the next galaxy.

(But see Smivs' GalDrivePod below)

*This oxp (Wildeblood's) adds the ability to choose your destination from 4/5 systems in the next galaxy. It can also sell you a Galactic Navy Gazumba (this is a new piece of equipment) which adds in the 16 Galactic Navy Sector Commands to your choice.

*Redspear's oxp (Galactic Hyperdrive Reimagined) makes the transit journey take time (which will clobber some time-dependant missions) and also allows you to recharge the Hyperdrive rather than buy another each time. Redspear may well add more to this in the fullness of time.

There are several more oxps:

Cim's Galactic Misjump (unfinished) - what happens if you misjump?

Smiv's GalDrivePod - provides what you were looking for, a second, primable, drive which sits on a pylon. This used to be vital for leaving lone systems (eg. leaving G8 Oresrati, G3 Atlaar/Ditere, G6 Qutius/Beanxeat, Xeptatl's Sword missions, etc. - although Redspear's new reusable drive now changes this, as does the presence of OXP shipyard with a high enough TL to sell the vanilla game equipment)

So how would you like to change things? We can't change the top of these threads in the BB. We can change the wiki pages. And I can see that I forgot to add in Redspear's OXP to the Vanilla equipment page which you started editing.

The way one tweaks the abilities of the equipment in the game code is by redefining it in such a way that it looks as if you are creating a new piece of equipment (equipment.plist etc.). From the perspective of the player, this is not what happens. What you see on the F3 Ship's Chandlery screen is the same old Galactic Hyperdrive which you saw before adding in the OXP. And if you had already bought the equipment and have just added in the OXP, then you get the new abilities instantly (there is no necessary expensive "upgrade" to a "new" piece of equipment).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:14 am

There is just the one piece of equipment - the vanilla game's Galactic Hyperdrive which takes you to the next galaxy.

*This oxp (Wildeblood's) adds the ability to choose your destination from 4/5 systems in the next galaxy. It can also sell you a Galactic Navy Gazumba (this is a new piece of equipment) which adds in the 16 Galactic Navy Sector Commands to your choice.

*Redspear's oxp (Galactic Hyperdrive Reimagined) makes the transit journey take time (which will clobber some time-dependant missions) and also allows you to recharge the Hyperdrive rather than buy another each time. Redspear may well add more to this in the fullness of time.

Smiv's GalDrivePod - provides what you were looking for, a second, primable, drive which sits on a pylon. This used to be vital for leaving lone systems (eg. leaving G8 Oresrati, G3 Atlaar/Ditere, G6 Qutius/Beanxeat, Xeptatl's Sword missions, etc. - although Redspear's new reusable drive now changes this, as does the presence of OXP shipyard with a high enough TL to sell the vanilla game equipment)

So how would you like to change things? We can't change the top of these threads in the BB. We can change the wiki pages. And I can see that I forgot to add in Redspear's OXP to the Vanilla equipment page which you started editing.

The way one tweaks the abilities of the equipment in the game code is by redefining it in such a way that it looks as if you are creating a new piece of equipment (equipment.plist etc.). From the perspective of the player, this is not what happens. What you see on the F3 Ship's Chandlery screen is the same old Galactic Hyperdrive which you saw before adding in the OXP. And if you had already bought the equipment and have just added in the OXP, then you get the new abilities instantly (there is no necessary expensive "upgrade" to a "new" piece of equipment).
Ack, there is only one type of equipment. Hence there could/should be only one page describing this equipment.
However it's behaviour can be different depending on which expansions are installed. How about we describe exactly that?

So a first paragraph could explain the common behaviour, then we have more paragraphs starting with 'If this OXP is installed, ...'. With basically the content you just pictured out.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:47 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:14 am

Ack, there is only one type of equipment. Hence there could/should be only one page describing this equipment.
However it's behaviour can be different depending on which expansions are installed. How about we describe exactly that?

So a first paragraph could explain the common behaviour, then we have more paragraphs starting with 'If this OXP is installed, ...'. With basically the content you just pictured out.
Is this (https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Galactic_Hyperdrive) any good?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:28 pm
Much better than before. But I am missing the common part. The first paragraph is about the vanilla game. This indicates only that one variant reacts on the 'g' key - but not the others?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

The g key will always activate the galactic hyperdrive. The other OXPs can change only what happens when you press the g key, and even then, not dramatically. They might change your arrival point in the next galaxy, or add some time, but you’re still going to change galaxy.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

phkb wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:21 pm
They might change your arrival point in the next galaxy, or add some time, but you’re still going to change galaxy.
...as long as the galactic jump is successful.

A normal reason why such a jump may fail is due to being mass-locked.
There's an OXP (or 2?) that also interferes with its success.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Switeck wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:57 pm
phkb wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:21 pm
They might change your arrival point in the next galaxy, or add some time, but you’re still going to change galaxy.
...as long as the galactic jump is successful.

A normal reason why such a jump may fail is due to being mass-locked.
There's an OXP (or 2?) that also interferes with its success.
The ones I know of are these:

OXPs

There are several relevant OXPs. Some merely tweak the vanilla game Galactic Hyperdrive. But GalDrivePod is an additional hyperdrive which is loaded on a missile pylon and needs priming just like any other piece of OXP equipment.

Galactic Hyperdrive OXP allows a choice of destinations in the next Galaxy
Galactic Hyperdrive Reimagined makes the vanilla game equipment rechargeable by sunskimming, and the Galactic Hyperjump take time (several days) which can wreck some mission OXPs.
Galactic Misjump OXP - what happens if you misjump between galaxies? By Cim.
GalDrivePod provides a (second?) pylon-mounted Galactic Drive allowing one to leave the "unreachable areas" in the next galaxy (by Smivs).

Also relevant

Galaxy Names OXP by Wildeblood - also downloadable through the in-game Expansions Manager (an Ambience .oxp): puts the galaxy names onto the F6 screen.
Bounty System prevents loss of "illegal" status on jumping to the next galaxy.
Note that various OXP stations will have a different TL to that of the main station and may possibly stock the Galactic Hyperdrive - but the price may be rather different!
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

I changed the overview slightly. Now I believe it matches (the common part) for all the variants. :-)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:31 pm
Just to say, the only copyright information in this OXP is in the 3 javascript files:
galdrive_worldscript.js: this.copyright = "(C) 2012, Wildeblood";
naval_galdrive_programmer.js: this.copyright = "(C) 2011, 2012, Wildeblood";
new_galdrive_programmer.js: this.copyright = "(C) 2011, 2012, Wildeblood";
So, has anyone ever updated this, or is it still in the same state I left it in on June 10th, 2012?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:07 am
Cholmondely wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:31 pm
Just to say, the only copyright information in this OXP is in the 3 javascript files:
galdrive_worldscript.js: this.copyright = "(C) 2012, Wildeblood";
naval_galdrive_programmer.js: this.copyright = "(C) 2011, 2012, Wildeblood";
new_galdrive_programmer.js: this.copyright = "(C) 2011, 2012, Wildeblood";
So, has anyone ever updated this, or is it still in the same state I left it in on June 10th, 2012?
Welcome back!

To the best of my knowledge the only OXPs of yours which might have been updated are those on the Expansions Manager. The others seem to have exactly the same downloads you established in your day.

I'm just a dumb pilot, but what I've picked up from our BB and our wiki implies that there have been no major changes in the vanilla game code since v.1.82 - hence there has been no real need to revise anything since then. And attention has focused on those OXPs in the Expansions Manager with the others languishing in the miasmic mists of mislaid memories...
Comments wanted:
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[UPDATED] Galactic Hyperdrive OXP

Post by Wildeblood »

Galactic Hyperdrive OXP ver. 1.2
Date: February 9th, 2024

Uploaded to the wiki in OXZ format. Not in the expansion manager. Possibly buggy; I'm a bit rusty. :lol:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Wildeblood wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:09 am
Galactic Hyperdrive OXP ver. 1.2
Date: February 9th, 2024

Uploaded to the wiki in OXZ format. Not in the expansion manager. Possibly buggy; I'm a bit rusty. :lol:
What would you like to happen next? Should interested users already test what you have, or should the expansion be offered through the expansion manager?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Galactic Hyperdrive Programmers OXP

Post by Wildeblood »

hiran wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:10 pm

What would you like to happen next? Should interested users already test what you have, or should the expansion be offered through the expansion manager?
Please test it out, if you can spare a few minutes. I read on the previous page of this topic, Switeck and Cholmondely saying it was no longer usable, because the chart images were appearing behind the current chart, and just making a confused mess, instead of appearing - opaque - in front. I thought the OXP can't be left in that state.

Here's the history:-

version 1.0, 2011, GalDrive Programmers OXP
version 1.1, 2012, Galactic Hyperdrive OXP
version 1.2, 2024, Galactic Hyperdrive Programmers OXP

Version 1.0 added programmers as in-flight prime-able equipment, but the player had to know, from another source, what the destinations meant.
Version 1.1 added images of the next galactic charts, to make that information available in-game.
Version 1.2 removes the images, but now lets the player set the programmers both in-flight, as prime-able equipment, and while docked, as ship systems through the F4 screen.

The code that adds and removes the Naval Hyperdrive Programmer as the player buys and uses the GalDrive is untested, but I hope/think I got the logic correct. Also, it doesn't store the current setting in the saved game, which it really should. (Also, the images are still in the downloadable file, even though they aren't used, so you - dear reader - can "x" to extract the OXZ if you're interested to see them.)

You can add it to the expansion manager if and when you think it's right, I don't really mind.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Re: Galactic Hyperdrive Programmers OXP

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:48 pm
hiran wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:10 pm

Please test it out, if you can spare a few minutes. I read on the previous page of this topic, Switeck and Cholmondely saying it was no longer usable, because the chart images were appearing behind the current chart, and just making a confused mess, instead of appearing - opaque - in front. I thought the OXP can't be left in that state.

Here's the history:-

version 1.0, 2011, GalDrive Programmers OXP
version 1.1, 2012, Galactic Hyperdrive OXP
version 1.2, 2024, Galactic Hyperdrive Programmers OXP

Version 1.0 added programmers as in-flight prime-able equipment, but the player had to know, from another source, what the destinations meant.
Version 1.1 added images of the next galactic charts, to make that information available in-game.
Version 1.2 removes the images, but now lets the player set the programmers both in-flight, as prime-able equipment, and while docked, as ship systems through the F4 screen.

The code that adds and removes the Naval Hyperdrive Programmer as the player buys and uses the GalDrive is untested, but I hope/think I got the logic correct. Also, it doesn't store the current setting in the saved game, which it really should. (Also, the images are still in the downloadable file, even though they aren't used, so you - dear reader - can "x" to extract the OXZ if you're interested to see them.)

You can add it to the expansion manager if and when you think it's right, I don't really mind.
Apologies - not had a chance to test it out yet.

But.

1) Version number mismatch between .oxz folder title (1.1.4) and manifest.plist (1.2) (standard editorial nitpicking)

2) It has lost the ReadMe

3) Why does the F3-F3-F3 option no longer work?

It was a superb addition - and was the only one of these extra key combinations which seemed to me to have any intuitive logic behind it.

Was it just the change to the F6 screens to make them adjustable? (which also led to the jump range circles becoming inaccurate? ... and killing off BGS-X mapping?).

References:
Alternate jump range indicator OXP
BGS - see section on BGS-X mapping
Comments wanted: