Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[RELEASE] Talkative Space Compass

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: [RELEASE] Talkative Space Compass

Post by cim »

I'll have a look at it, then.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

My Planetary Compass (Beta) OXP does planet/moon names already with the TSC.
superbatprime
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by superbatprime »

getting it to state planet names was painless enough.

Code: Select all

} else if (mode == "COMPASS_MODE_PLANET") {
				player.consoleMessage("Compass: "+system.name);
I'm bugging Wildeblood now about what I need for star types.
So then I says to him, I says "naw dude, Oolite ain't no Space Opera... Oolite is Space Rock and Roll!"
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

On 1.77 I'm seeing this a few times in the logs..
07:21:46.626 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (Talkative Space Compass 1.0.3): Error: Vector3D.distanceTo: Could not construct vector from parameters (null) -- expected Vector, Entity or array of three numbers.
07:21:46.626 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: AddOns/TalkativeCompass_1.0.3.oxp/Config/script.js, line 68.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Diziet Sma wrote:
On 1.77 I'm seeing this a few times in the logs..
07:21:46.626 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (Talkative Space Compass 1.0.3): Error: Vector3D.distanceTo: Could not construct vector from parameters (null) -- expected Vector, Entity or array of three numbers.
07:21:46.626 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: AddOns/TalkativeCompass_1.0.3.oxp/Config/script.js, line 68.
Have you implemented the distance fix into the TSC? If so, then the error is probably from that line.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Well spotted.. I have:

//distance to object
if (mode != "COMPASS_MODE_BASIC") {
           dist = (player.ship.position.distanceTo(whom) - whom.collisionRadius)/1000;
           player.consoleMessage(dist.toFixed(3)+" Klicks");	
}
So (whom) is somehow returning null for some entities? (I say some, because it's clearly still working for most entities)

Found this as well in the current log, so yep, seems to be something along those lines.

12:54:06.541 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Talkative Space Compass 1.0.3): TypeError: whom is null
12:54:06.541 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       AddOns/TalkativeCompass_1.0.3.oxp/Config/script.js, line 30.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Well spotted.. I have:

//distance to object
}
So (whom) is somehow returning null for some entities? (I say some, because it's clearly still working for most entities)

Found this as well in the current log, so yep, seems to be something along those lines.

12:54:06.541 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Talkative Space Compass 1.0.3): TypeError: whom is null
12:54:06.541 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       AddOns/TalkativeCompass_1.0.3.oxp/Config/script.js, line 30.
Try this:

if (!player.ship.compassTarget) return;
//distance to object
}
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thanks! Will do. 8)
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Updated to 1.0.4 to fix some cases causing errors and to display main planet/sun names if another OXP sets them. Thanks for the reports.
laxori666
Competent
Competent

Post by laxori666 »

Bug report: currently this conflicts with [EliteWiki] Destination ETA. If the ETA indicator is on, then the talkative description is wiped and replaced by the generic one by Destination ETA. I'm not sure which OXP would have to be modified - this one or Destination ETA or both - so I've cross-posted this. Maybe the two can be merged into one OXP? Perhaps would also be more immersive if both upgrades had to be purchased.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

laxori666 wrote:
Bug report: currently this conflicts with [EliteWiki] Destination ETA. If the ETA indicator is on, then the talkative description is wiped and replaced by the generic one by Destination ETA. I'm not sure which OXP would have to be modified - this one or Destination ETA or both - so I've cross-posted this. Maybe the two can be merged into one OXP? Perhaps would also be more immersive if both upgrades had to be purchased.
See my Updating TSC oxp, it's quite configurable via variables in the script.

Personally, I tweaked my own hud (Aad-HUD) to show ETA, as the updating function in both Updating TSC and Destination ETA uses suppresses messages when running.
laxori666
Competent
Competent

Post by laxori666 »

spara wrote:
laxori666 wrote:
See my Updating TSC oxp, it's quite configurable via variables in the script.

Personally, I tweaked my own hud (Aad-HUD) to show ETA, as the updating function in both Updating TSC and Destination ETA uses suppresses messages when running.
Ah that's something I'd want to do as well. Could you share how you tweaked your hud to show the ETA? Or share the files and I can figure it out and adapt my HUD to do the same. Would be much appreciated!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

laxori666 wrote:
Ah that's something I'd want to do as well. Could you share how you tweaked your hud to show the ETA? Or share the files and I can figure it out and adapt my HUD to do the same. Would be much appreciated!
It's a feature of the latest version of the Aad-HUD. Get it from the wiki.
laxori666
Competent
Competent

Post by laxori666 »

spara wrote:
laxori666 wrote:
It's a feature of the latest version of the Aad-HUD. Get it from the wiki.
So it is - thanks!