custom missiles :-/

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

custom missiles :-/

Post by Killer Wolf »

Done a missile for the King Cobra. i've done the wiki stuff of putting MISSILE ROLE in the ship data, i put the EQ missile bit in she shipyard standard equipment bit, fired them, got no new missiles, docked and bought all new missiles to see if that worked, it didn't :-(

so...what's missing?

ta!
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: custom missiles :-/

Post by Ramirez »

Have you put an entry into the equipment.plist? You need to use the same 'EQ' key as you've used in the shipyard and shipdata entries.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

yes...
missile is mentioned in the standard equipment, doesn't have an entry itself, does it need one to buy them? the wiki seems to suggest you'd buy a missile as normal and the shipdata override via missile_role would do the rest?
set up is basically the same as for the Phantom, except i'm not using Thargoid's external missile script.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

You could study the Military Missile OXP found here:
http://wiki.alioth.net/images/4/4c/Mili ... e_1.02.zip
It's by Wyvern and called "Dragon Military Missile" -- adds an enhanced hardhead, seeks priority targets when ECM'd.
That's about the simplest custom missile add-on I know of.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Can you be a little clearer about exactly what you did in sequence, specifically when you got the missile you wanted and when you didn't? Your original post isn't very clear for me.

Also are you talking about a player ship here or an NPC ship? If it's a player ship, what missile were you trying to purchase, and did the correct missile show up on the equipment purchase (F3) screen?
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Killer Wolf wrote:
yes...
missile is mentioned in the standard equipment, doesn't have an entry itself, does it need one to buy them? the wiki seems to suggest you'd buy a missile as normal and the shipdata override via missile_role would do the rest?
Umm... what?

If you want to have a custom missile buyable for the player, you need at least:
a) entry in shipdata.plist defining model, damage, name, role, AI etc. for it
b) entry in equipment.plist defining price, tech level and description for it

additionally you can define a custom HUD icon for the missile in descriptions.plist
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

To ask a basic question - is the tech level (and any other conditions required) high enough in the system you are in to actually be able to buy the missile?

All you basically need to have for a buyable piece of equipment is the equipment.plist entry. But of course to make a practical and usable missile you need a shipdata entry for it, plus perhaps things like scripts and AIs.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

ta, got the buying stuff worked out, i just thought the missile_role bit in shipdata would automatically mean that the ship's missiles would appear as my new type, ie so you'd buy a normal missile at the station but whenever this type of ship fired a missile it would appear as the new type. it was supposed to add to the ship's background, ie a smaller, slimmer missile invented to fit a compact hold, but never mind
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

No - it's mainly meant for NPCs and dictates what sort of missiles it is armed with. It pre-dates NPC equipment, so now it's possible and more flexible to award the ship whatever missiles and mines that you may want it to have by scripting.

As already noted, the most common use is to give the Thargoid warships their Thargons.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Reworded the wiki entry to hopefully make it more clear.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

oh well, that's a bunch of modelling and skinning i could've avoided :-D