(NEW RELEASE) MultipleForwardLaserPlayerShips(MFLPS).oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: (NEW RELEASE) MultipleForwardLaserPlayerShips(MFLPS).oxp

Post by pagroove »

Could you make it work with Oldships 2010 too? That would be ultra cool.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

pagroove wrote:
Could you make it work with Oldships 2010 too? That would be ultra cool.
Hi pagroove! :)

Do you/did you use MFLPS? What ships(s) and how was it for you?
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

The discussion in E:D thread brought to my mind this OXP.

Would it be possible to tweak the core Oolite code so that it is an option to have two legitimate forward lasers (so that I can then make an OXP giving all core ships two forward lasers)?
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Zireael wrote:

Would it be possible to tweak the core Oolite code so that it is an option to have two legitimate forward lasers (so that I can then make an OXP giving all core ships two forward lasers)?
Just make sure to have it so the pulse lasers alternate fire, instead of in sync. That'll look really cool (Beam and Military won't matter as much ;) )
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Hello CS,

This is a neat idea, but I must be a complete idiot, since I don't get it to work;

I have both oxp's MFLPS and Oldships 3.2, a standard hud and I do see this in the equipment list of my "prospector cobra"

Pressing V in flight gives me a guncamera, but only the laser at the left fires. What is the aft weapon conversion kit, how do I fill up the secondary weapon mount, or what should I do to have 2 lasers firing at the front ?

What am I not doing/doing wrong ?

thanks.
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

mossfoot wrote:
Zireael wrote:

Just make sure to have it so the pulse lasers alternate fire, instead of in sync. That'll look really cool (Beam and Military won't matter as much ;) )
Oh, additional thought - are you going to half the damage on each for balance sake so that the damage output per second is about equal, or just let the spacelanes become a gauntlet of death (er... more so)
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Zireael wrote:
Would it be possible to tweak the core Oolite code so that it is an option to have two legitimate forward lasers...
I very much doubt it, and sincerely hope not personally.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

mossfoot wrote:
mossfoot wrote:
Zireael wrote:

Oh, additional thought - are you going to half the damage on each for balance sake so that the damage output per second is about equal, or just let the spacelanes become a gauntlet of death (er... more so)
Halving the damage would be possible, definitely - I was rather thinking of 'oh wow that looks EPIC' rather than 'deal EPIC damage' :P

@ dertien: I believe you need to press tab after V? Alas, CSOB is MIA, he would be best equipped to answer your query...
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Since some people downloaded this and are playing with it, the also know the answer; Pressing V and then tab does nothing...

There is also nothing in the readme file about what keys to press... It certainly doesn't work out of the box...

Ah well, I'll sit it out and send him a PM
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

dertien wrote:
Ah well, I'll sit it out and send him a PM
CommonsenseOTB hasn't been seen for about 18 months, so you'll be very lucky if you get a reply!
Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Potential Debris »

This is an interesting OXP idea but when I read a name like MultipleForwardLaserPlayerShips(MFLPS), all I can think of is

This OXP should have been called "DUAL-WIELDED DEATHLIGHTS" or "TWIN SPACEMURDER MACHINES".
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

I don't particularly want two lasers for combat, but it would occasionally be useful to have the option to switch laser mode. For example, to switch from Military Laser mode to Mining Laser mode when mining asteroids. I usually seem to vaporize asteroids when I shoot them, allegedly the mining laser is better in this respect but I don't know because I prefer to have the military firepower for combat.

That doesn't seem to be something that would break the game, so if anyone feels like adding it as a suitably expensive add-on modification for the military laser I'd be grateful. Maybe the failure mode could be that it stays stuck on the last setting used (e.g. beam laser) until fixed...
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

ffutures wrote:
I don't particularly want two lasers for combat, but it would occasionally be useful to have the option to switch laser mode. For example, to switch from Military Laser mode to Mining Laser mode when mining asteroids. I usually seem to vaporize asteroids when I shoot them, allegedly the mining laser is better in this respect but I don't know because I prefer to have the military firepower for combat.
You could always add a mining laser on the side of the ship. Unless you use 4 military lasers for combat, that is 8)
Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Potential Debris »

What if your preferred ship only has front and rear lasers?

Of course, that's the point. If you can effectively have multiple lasers on one mount, what's the point in ships with restricted number of mounts? The different ships (not counting uberships like the Vortex of course) force the player to choose between different roles (combat, trading, mining), or to choose a jack-of-all-trades like the cobra3 and do all roles but none of them particularly well. Adding tools to bypass these restrictions is just creeping uberism.

If you really want a mil laser and mining gun on one mount, there's always this OXP: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Railgun_OXP
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Potential Debris wrote:
Adding tools to bypass these restrictions is just creeping uberism.
It would require proper balancing of course. This is a totally oxp-able idea that would make limited ships more versatile. If implemented I would consider adding a cargo cost as the mechanism should cost space and the mechanism and the spare gun should both definitely be damageable. Breaking while switching doesn't feel good to me as the other equipments work flawlessly, but that's just me of course. And the mechanism should have a five figure price tag.