Oolite Unable To Identify A Property List

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite Unable To Identify A Property List

Post by m4r35n357 »

Killer Wolf wrote:
Okti wrote:
Killer Wolf wrote:
it's a given in the Oolite universe that players can't have more than one laser ...
Sure? :twisted:
prove otherwise.
I have two . . ;)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I have 4x Mil front and rear, mining port and starboard... :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Oh, I didn't know that would work. You mean you just assigned a different laser to each position, and the game processed it? Wouldn't you still have to list the extra lasers as sub-entities? Wait, that's just one gun per direction, so it wouldn't be a problem. I've never really seen the advantage of port and starboard guns, unless you have a huge ship, with auto ball turrets, or something of that nature.
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

mandoman wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Oh, I didn't know that would work. You mean you just assigned a different laser to each position, and the game processed it? Wouldn't you still have to list the extra lasers as sub-entities? Wait, that's just one gun per direction, so it wouldn't be a problem. I've never really seen the advantage of port and starboard guns, unless you have a huge ship, with auto ball turrets, or something of that nature.
I think DH meant he has four lasers. A mil at the front and the back and miners on both sides. It was a joke. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Smivs wrote:
mandoman wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
I think DH meant he has four lasers. A mil at the front and the back and miners on both sides. It was a joke. :)
Yeah, I figured that out. I would still like to know the trick of putting on two to front and back by using sub-entities. It's evidently been done before, so it wouldn't hurt to do it again. Let me ask you, if I put a laser on the far left aft wing, and far right aft wing and called the port and starboard lasers, would they shoot to the side, or back from the ship as they are pointed? I didn't try it, but I thought about it. :D

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Smivs wrote:
mandoman wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Or was it?

A while back it was posted that Okti and Thargoid have an experimental entity slaved to the player ship. This entity also has a laser and I would assume it fires at your target. Done correctly this would simulate multiple lasers on a player ship but is probably not a perfect solution. I'm sure its not available because we don't need a multiple lasers per ship's weapon position uber war. If anything we probably should label anything with multiple lasers in one direction as"Uber: May destabilize game balance. Use at own risk."

Mandoman, all you can do is have sub-entities for the NPC version of your ship, each of those with a weapon defined in its shipdata entry.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Mandoman, all you can do is have sub-entities for the NPC version of your ship, each of those with a weapon defined in its shipdata entry.
Oh yeah, I do remember reading that somewhere. I forget things too easily. :? :)

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It is Okti's experimental OXP - I was nothing to do with it other than he was kind enough to share a version with me. It is very much as described - the fire key still only fires a single laser, but the "n" key can be used to fire a different weapon which could be configured to simulate multiple lasers.

But as has been said in this thread, true multiple lasers on a player ship is currently (and deliberately) not possible, by the sub-entity route or any other. Okti's route is a clever work-around for that, but I'll leave it to him as to whether he wants to share things more widely as it's his work.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Code: Select all

if I put a laser on the far left aft wing, and far right aft wing and called the port and starboard lasers, would they shoot to the side, or back from the ship as they are pointed? I didn't try it, but I thought about it.
someone more knowledgeable might correct me, but i think it's a moot point as i'm sure i read somewhere that NPCs are coded to only use front and rear lasers.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
But as has been said in this thread, true multiple lasers on a player ship is currently (and deliberately) not possible, .....
When a npc ships fires the main laser, the code explicit checks all subentities if they have a laser. For the player there is no such check. That is to avoid creating über-ships with ziljons of lasers.

I just wondered what would happen when firing a main aft laser: As expected, all subentity lasers also fired. But those only can fire forward and fire in the wrong direction than. That seems a bug that is easy fixable. I added now a check for only firing subentity lasers when firing forward.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Killer Wolf wrote:

Code: Select all

if I put a laser on the far left aft wing, and far right aft wing and called the port and starboard lasers, would they shoot to the side, or back from the ship as they are pointed? I didn't try it, but I thought about it.
someone more knowledgeable might correct me, but i think it's a moot point as i'm sure i read somewhere that NPCs are coded to only use front and rear lasers.
Are Port and Starboard lasers considered sub-entities though? What I'm asking is if I put lasers on my the far tips of two of the wings on my SunBat, and labeled them in shipdata.plist as port and starboard lasers, would they shoot out to the side of the ship in the game, or toward the back, or front, depending on which wings I installed them? I'm not talking in terms of sub-entities here, but in the defined actions of two main lasers, port and starboard. Neither am I speaking in terms of NPC ships, but in actual player ships. It's no big deal, I just don't know, and wanted to know if someone had tried it.

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

They'd shoot out the side. You put them there by defining the weapons_position in shipdata, not by physically putting a sub-ent there, so there is no choice in the direction they fire.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Smivs wrote:
They'd shoot out the side. You put them there by defining the weapons_position in shipdata, not by physically putting a sub-ent there, so there is no choice in the direction they fire.
That's what I suspected, which is why I didn't try it. :D

Thanks, Smivs. :)