Dark Rainbow 2011.09.14 - OXZ for Oolite 1.82 now available

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Re: [UPDATE]Dark Rainbow 2011.09.14 - genetic implant, Caduc

Post by sdrubble »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
Your problem sounds similar to the one I had [ . . . ] which was solved by doing this...
That's a great hint Capt. Murphy ! :D Thanx a lot !! :mrgreen:

Now, let me translate your original diagnostic and fix for the Caduceus in terms of the Dark Rainbow files. It will be good to keep this here in the DR's own thread.

Now, this specific problem (and solution) will apply when (as per Capt. Murphy's own description in the first link he supplied above):
Capt. Murphy wrote:
neither of the Caduceus variants is being textured properly in Oolite. The main body of the ship is untextured although the subentities are textured. I've had a quick look through the files in the oxp all the textures/models are there.

[ . . . ]

No errors in the latest.log
and in this particular case, and specifically for the Dark Rainbow (whose files are a bit different from the original ones from the Caddy OXP) the solution should be the following (adapted from Capt. Murphy's own description in the second link he supplied above):

AFTER having replaced the three original Caddy plists with the specific Dark Rainbow plists which come in the DR .ZIP file (as per the DR install instructions file), proceed as below.

edit [color=#FF0000] ..\Config\shipdata.plist [/color] (Notepad++ is a good Windows tool);

on line 333 (only!), change

Code: Select all

<key>cadg_tex.png</key>
to

<key>cadg_shady.png</key>
And of course, as we're editing a previously existing plist inside an OXP, the usual warning about restarting Oolite with SHIFT pressed certainly applies. :mrgreen:

Well I can't test this myself due to different hardware... let's hope it will solve the current issue! :D
Last edited by sdrubble on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Hi BlackKnight,
sdrubble wrote:
I'm running out of things to check... :cry:
... but as usual we can always count on the friendly, watchful and helpful friends on this most awesome board this side of Riedquat !!! :mrgreen: :shock: :lol: :D

Now, feel free to try the above suggestions in whatever particular order you might wish. Personally I would firstly try the one in the previous post (which I derived from Capt Murphy's comments), and in the *unlikely* case it doesn't solve our problem, proceed with my previous 5 4 ones.

Good luck and cheers ! :D
BlackKnight
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BlackKnight »

8) 8) :D May I congratulate the joint efforts of Capt Murphy and sdrubble for solving my problem! :D 8) 8)

My once-albino DR now revolves resplendant in her normal dark-as-night black-and-green textures, and (having finally found somewhere with a normal Caddy Omega for sale) I can confirm it is the <key>cadg_shady.png</key> fix that dunnit - DR is now looking how she should, and the Omega is still looking like a snowman with a bad attitude since I haven't (yet) edited the neoCaddy shipdata.plist...

But that can wait 'til the next time I exit Oolite (probably some time around midnight!) as I now need to go and "find" something like 1.75 MILLION credits just waiting for an Ethically-Challenged Merchant on the prowl... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

(If this hadn't worked, I was going to remove and recreate the DR oxp to make sure it wasn't finger trouble at my end. Now I can spend the time playing instead!)

Again, thank you both for your assistance :-)
You really want to know what's gonna happen, Ambassador? Boom. Boom boom. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. BOOM!
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

BlackKnight wrote:
8) 8) :D May I congratulate the joint efforts of Capt Murphy and sdrubble for solving my problem! :D 8) 8)

My once-albino DR now revolves resplendant in her normal dark-as-night black-and-green textures, and (having finally found somewhere with a normal Caddy Omega for sale) I can confirm it is the <key>cadg_shady.png</key> fix that dunnit - DR is now looking how she should...
Great !!! And I extend my thanks once again to Capt Murphy for spotting this issue and scoring a perfect hit with his hint. :lol:
...and the Omega is still looking like a snowman with a bad attitude since I haven't (yet) edited the neoCaddy shipdata.plist...
Well... if you DO bother to fix the remaining 'abominable' snowman, you'll soon find that:

1. its turrets are prone to silently evaporate, one by one, after fierce fights...
2. its turrets fire slower (and with less accuracy) than the DR's ones...
3. its periodic Maintenance Overhaul costs can easily be more than twice the DR's ones...
4. various of its other specs are generally inferior to DR's ones (as described in the first post in this thread). :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
... I now need to go and "find" something like 1.75 MILLION credits just waiting for an Ethically-Challenged Merchant on the prowl... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I'm sure you'll find these at the same hideous place I found mine. :mrgreen:

And when you do, I'd have a couple of starting suggestions for the Commander of his brand-new Dark Rainbow:

- IIRC there's a quirk in the plist files which I didn't bother to properly fix - the DR should come pre-fitted with Military Lasers fore and aft, but it actually doesn't, so you'd need to actually buy those. :x

- and to really witness in-your-face the reason why the beast has got this strange name, try this nifty little trick:

whenever you're facing a single opponent (or more if you prefer... :twisted: ), instead of trying to clobber it with laser fire, just fire a single, short burst at the unsuspecting ship, so that it can just turn mad at you; then maneuver as required, in order to keep your target always closer than 6 km, and also always at about half-an-inch from either of the top corners of your screen... :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:

Cheers, and enjoy your ride! :D
BlackKnight
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BlackKnight »

sdrubble wrote:
then maneuver as required, in order to keep your target always closer than 6 km, and also always at about half-an-inch from either of the top corners of your screen...
A-ha, I wondered where the best "viewpoint" was - last time(*) I played, I used to keep the innocent victims villainous pirates in the Port or Starboard view and within 5 klicks...
Cheers, and enjoy your ride! :D
Oh I shall, I shall... rest assured, I will soon be sending more unsuspecting spacers cruel corsairs to visit the spacefaring equivalent of Davey Jones's Locker... :twisted: :twisted: (Davey Jones's Airlock, maybe?)

(*)With regards to the original neoCaddy and Oolite 1.73, I used to sell and rebuy the Large Cargo Bay several times at the start of each session as I discovered that doing so would increase the hold by something like 19 tons a time... never figured out why and didn't really care, but it does serve as an example of how careful I am to always stick to the strictly honourable and law-abiding way of life... (and if you believe that, I have a small collection of scrap metal and stone orbiting a minor star in Galaxy 1 - you may have head of it, called something like Tea on Isla... :twisted:
You really want to know what's gonna happen, Ambassador? Boom. Boom boom. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. BOOM!
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

BlackKnight wrote:
sdrubble wrote:
then maneuver as required, in order to keep your target always closer than 6 km, and also always at about half-an-inch from either of the top corners of your screen...
A-ha, I wondered where the best "viewpoint" was ...
It should go without saying, but each of the 4 corners of the fore screen and each of the 4 corners of the aft screen will give you a different color blend of fireworks... :lol: of course, the rear trick is a bit harder to hold onto for any given length of time... :roll:
With regards to the original neoCaddy and Oolite 1.73, I used to sell and rebuy the Large Cargo Bay several times at the start of each session as I discovered that doing so would increase the hold by something like 19 tons a time...
:shock: :shock: :twisted:

... so that you'll of course enjoy learning about this too. :mrgreen: :twisted: :lol:

Cheers :mrgreen:
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Hi all... dunnit again, by popular demand !!! :mrgreen:
sdrubble wrote:
Download link (at the end of the first post in this thread) has now been reactivated.

It will be good for another 14 days... :evil: Sorry, it's a small quirk from adrive.com. I can renew it again whenever someone requests it.

Pls DO post any queries or comments you might have about the ship in this thread.
Cheers and enjoy !!! :D
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I seem to be able to dowload the tweak but not the main oxp as the download link seems unclickable. Shame really as I would like to have an experimentation with this beastie :) Edit to add....
I have downloaded the caduceus OXP from the OXP List and note that this is entitled neocaduceus so maybe I'll get to fly one after all.
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Duggan wrote:
I seem to be able to dowload the tweak but not the main oxp as the download link seems unclickable.
Duggan,

I've just tested it, and on this side of things the download proceeds as normal. But let's try a different approach. :?

Pls copy either one of the entries below (one at a time) and paste it to your browser's address bar, press ENTER and tell us what happens:

http://downloadwww21.adrive.com/public/view/VDn8Dw.html
http://www.adrive.com/public/VDn8Dw.html
Good luck !!! :D
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Hello sdrubble, both links invite me to download the tweak :)
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Duggan wrote:
Hello sdrubble, both links invite me to download the tweak :)
That's great news sire :D - I hope you DO accept the invitation (of course, just ONE of then will be enough). :mrgreen:

I've also just rechecked the initial post in this thread, and recognized that the way it was originally written might indeed mislead people as to where the REAL links were placed... :oops:

... so that the last two sections in the first post ('EDIT LOG' and 'DOWNLOAD') have now be rewritten, hopefully in a clearer manner. :wink:

Enjoy your ship, then (and may I suggest you find some time to read this whole thread - if you haven't already done so - as you'll probably find some interesting tips related to this OXP).

Cheers :D
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Thank you sdrubble,

The Caduceus is an elegant craft indeed :)
GalTourist
Poor
Poor

Post by GalTourist »

Do you think ClymAngus would be willing to add the Dark Rainbow to the original Caduceus oxp? Would this solve the hosting issue?

The specs of the Dark Rainbow in my opinion reflect the absolute limit of 'Uberosity'. While the Wonderworm may be faster and equally over-powered, it is not really an Oolite ship per say. When I tried the Wonderworm it felt as though it did not relate nor properly interact with the other ships and objects in the game. This is undesirable. The Dark Rainbow is at least more realistic in terms of speed, size and appearance. For this reason, I think it deserves to be available to all users, if not for the reason of a realistic representation of the moral limits of uber. Furthermore, the Dark Rainbow would be the perfect benchmark for creating new 'baddies'. I look forward to trying it out when it is available as an OXP (I am a programming idiot :cry: ).
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

GalTourist wrote:
Do you think ClymAngus would be willing to add the Dark Rainbow to the original Caduceus oxp? Would this solve the hosting issue?

seconded. The Dark Rainbow has gone again and this fool never saved it to his documents so now the ship is lost to me .
The specs of the Dark Rainbow in my opinion reflect the absolute limit of 'Uberosity'. While the Wonderworm may be faster and equally over-powered, it is not really an Oolite ship per say. When I tried the Wonderworm it felt as though it did not relate nor properly interact with the other ships and objects in the game. This is undesirable. The Dark Rainbow is at least more realistic in terms of speed, size and appearance. For this reason, I think it deserves to be available to all users, if not for the reason of a realistic representation of the moral limits of uber. Furthermore, the Dark Rainbow would be the perfect benchmark for creating new 'baddies'. I look forward to trying it out when it is available as an OXP (I am a programming idiot :cry: ).
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Hi all... dunnit again, by popular demand !!! :mrgreen:
sdrubble wrote:
Download link (at the end of the first post in this thread) has now been reactivated.

It will be good until 2012.04.17... :evil: Sorry, it's a small quirk from adrive.com. I can renew it again whenever someone requests it.

Pls DO post any queries or comments you might have about the ship in this thread.
Cheers and enjoy !!! :D

EDIT: besides the usual good-for-14-days download link from adrive.com, there's also now (at the end of the first post in this thread) an additional download link from 4shared.com, which AFAIK should be good for the next 180 days without any intervention from myself.