crazy idea: artificial planet ring

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: crazy idea: artificial planet ring

Post by Pleb »

Or the Kuat Drive Yards in Star Wars (not the movies, just games/novels before anyone asks where this was in Episodes I-VI):

Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Looks like it's not just in Oolite that people struggle with scale.. an Imperial Star Destroyer is 1.6km long.. the Super Star Destroyer in the foreground is 19km long..

Interesting design, but as artwork goes, it's a big fail.. create a Shipyard ring model that would be about 50km in diameter, tops, then plunk a planet in the middle of it.. no wonder it just looks "wrong". :lol:

The Starship Troopers one is not too bad, however..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Tetiri texture refined.
:D
Now we need a someone who compiles the OXP. IOW make the Ring only to appear at Tetiri (G5) and then we have an OXP. WIP.

For phase II a modeler is needed to remodel the ring segments and the gateway stations.
Last edited by pagroove on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

And another one.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

pagroove wrote:
Now we need a someone who completes the OXP. IOW make the Ring only to appear at Tetiri (G5) and then we have an OXP. WIP.

For phase II a modeler is needed to remodel the ring segments and the gateway stations.

I'll try and put the spawning script for that together this weekend and send it to you (if not then sometime next week).

I may also play with the ring models again similar to the Starship Troopers one (which I like a lot), but the idea and WIP OXP is open for anyone else to take in another direction as well if they wish.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Thargoid wrote:
pagroove wrote:
Now we need a someone who completes the OXP. IOW make the Ring only to appear at Tetiri (G5) and then we have an OXP. WIP.

I'll try and put the spawning script for that together this weekend and send it to you (if not then sometime next week).

I may also play with the ring models again similar to the Starship Troopers one (which I like a lot), but the idea and WIP OXP is open for anyone else to take in another direction as well if they wish.

Ok. Yes the Starship Troopers model looks great.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

@ pagroove, I'm very much liking the refined version of your Tetiri texture..
Thargoid wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would like a go at remodelling the whole ring (new segment, joint and station models) as a possible different application to yours.
Thargoid wrote:
the idea and WIP OXP is open for anyone else to take in another direction as well if they wish.
Waves hand in the air..

Yes, I have an idea to take this code in a very different direction than pagroove's project.. (one that will ensure his idea is still unique, of course!) and as such, am now frantically learning how to drive Blender to create the necessary models..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

@PAGroove - if you open up the worldScript in the scripts directory of the OXP, you should find the line (line 15):

Code: Select all

if(system.isInterstellarSpace || system.sun.isGoingNova || system.sun.hasGoneNova || !system.mainPlanet || !system.mainStation) 
If you change this to

Code: Select all

if(galaxyNumber !== 4 || system.ID !== 70 || system.isInterstellarSpace || system.sun.isGoingNova || system.sun.hasGoneNova || !system.mainPlanet || !system.mainStation) 
then it should only spawn in Tetiri. The only then possible problem could be if the main station is destroyed and another station ends up as main station, then the orbital height would become possibly very large (with a huge number of segments involved).[/color]
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Did anything ever come out of all this? Even a half-finished oxp?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Ah, Tetiri - known for its nightlife, and the tech wizardry of the lizards who inhabit it.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

I remember this oxp, very cool visual idea but my system did take a bit of a hit...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:16 pm
I remember this oxp, very cool visual idea but my system did take a bit of a hit...
Are there any copies of it anywhere?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:43 pm
Thanking you, Sir!

Wikied!
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

I've been running the Tetiri.oxp in my latest game, despite still being in Galaxy 1.

The bally ring appears absolutely everywhere - even at low tech planets like Bemeara (TL 4)!
Comments wanted: